Alba Racing +2 Front Swing Arm Install - Page 2 - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian77 View Post
I think i may play around with them some just to see how much of a difference there is. Honestly shouldnt take too long jack it up take two bolts out move the spacers and put them back in. Usually i do a pre-ride check with it jacked up anyway.
It is super quick to swap them around. If their was going to be a noticeable difference, I would not have any problems swapping them around depending on which terrain. I'm right there with you. It's already going to be jacked up and getting an inspection and tires swapped out.

'05 Raptor 660R: DMG exhaust, K&N dual filter open box intake, Alba +2 front control arms, Alba extended brake lines, Tusk +2 extended rear hubs

'16 Raptor 700R

'18 Raptor 700R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 03:07 PM

Toe-In should be set by the service manual. The front tires closer to each other at the front than the rear, but it's usually not visible.
They are only "toed in" enough so that the tires spread out to paralell once they start rolling.
For camber, they look ok, or at least are at good starting point.
Since there is no factory adjustment, there is no factory setting (I know you have aftermarket adjustable arms, I do too).
However, I am a woods, trail, and pavement rider.
I have never ridden in sand, and am unfamiliar if they set up the front end any differently.
Rider weight affects suspension sag, and the laden sag will affect your baseline camber setting.
I think that the trail setup, which is measure, ride, adjust, measure, repeat; would be the same, or a very similiar, trial and error initial setup. With fine adjustments after.
Please update your thread as you progress. I'de like to hear what you end up with.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Don't get me wrong, and forgive me for referring to castor earlier, but I understand what each adjustment is and what it is for. The factory service manual was one of the first things I printed and put into a binder, and Alba also offered fantastic instructions for the install and performing the adjustments for both the toe and camber.

The fact that the toe looked a little more toe "in" means I need to adjust it out because I agree. If I can see it is to far, it is probably to far. Alba states the toe should be 1/8" in on either side. I believe I am more like 1/2" to 3/4" (yikes). The camber numbers are supposed to be the same, and believe my camber is in again about 1/2".

If all goes well, I will be out on the sand Sunday. Which I will spend the first hour or whatever trying the dial in the toe and camber. The toe kind of sucks to do because, as far as I am concerned does not have an "exact" way to calibrate. The camber on the other hand is a sweet piece of cake! I just didn't bring in my framing square, so I used a straight edge I had in the shop. Alba designed the upper arm with a removable/ adjustable tie-rod end that takes about two seconds to adjust.

I guess ultimately I just wanted to see if others have already been down this road, but yes I will definitely pass on what comes of Sundays alignment adjustments.
Scotscockney likes this.

'05 Raptor 660R: DMG exhaust, K&N dual filter open box intake, Alba +2 front control arms, Alba extended brake lines, Tusk +2 extended rear hubs

'16 Raptor 700R

'18 Raptor 700R

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 03:54 PM

The easiest way that I have found to adjust toe in/out, is tape on a concrete floor. And an extra set of hands, or ass on the seat around your weight while you measure and mark.
Ride it, and check your measurements again.
And yeah, it can be a pain getting both tie rods just right.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Great idea with the tape. I'll give that a shot as well.

'16 Raptor 700R

'18 Raptor 700R
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

To follow up...

dialed in the toe quite a bit. To the point where it loos vertical when the suspension is loaded. I left the camber alone; in further than recommended.

The bike seemed to have handled very well in the sand. I love the new wider front arms and rear hubs. I didn't think the increase in stability would be as noticeable in the seat. I definitely liked less toe in the sand. Camber I am still on the fence about.
ian77 likes this.

'16 Raptor 700R

'18 Raptor 700R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode