Suspension Advice/ opinions - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 113 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Suspension Advice/ opinions

Hello, new to the Raptor scene but not to turning wrenches and how things work. Jumping back into the 4 wheel scene from motocross/trailriding. Okay, so I recently bought a 660 raptor with the 686 kit, stage 1 cam. Jet kit nad on.. It has extended rear axles aftermarket shock, front Works shocks with accumalators (??) stock A arms. I just ordered CFM performance lowering kit and adjustable rear. It is suppose to make front +2. I'm not against New A arms but I'm trying to tame this thing from lifting the front so easily so I can rip it thru the woods. I've only taken it out once. Take a look at my garage for complete mod list. Am I on the right track and what do you all advise I do. I'm a heavier rider @ around 230. Also, how do I know that the accumalators are serviced?. In aviation we use nitrogen. It seems okay. I hope this kinda makes sense. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 113 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Oh, it also has underdrive rear sprocket. Not sure how many teeth tho.
post #3 of 113 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 06:51 PM

If you want to tame the wheelie machine you can fit a rear sprocket with less teeth (help slightly) or use an extended swingarm (helps more) Lots of companies make them. In fact, there was a +2 swingarm for a 660 for sale on this forum recently. I think it was oldskool selling it, might look him up and pm

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

07' Raptor 700- 11:1, hotcam 3, Pro design intake with K&N, +3 throttle body, Monster big bore duals, MSD with cuervo timing, JOGACA shocks, trail tech VAPOR, GYTR heel guards & bumper & nerfs, .250 aluminum skids, TM case saver, folding anodized levers and shifter, powermadd hand guards

04' raptor 660-Hot rods crank, .5mm overbore, 11:1 wiseco piston, Stage 1 hotcam, Yoshimura slip-on exhaust, K&N filter with outerwears, open lid airbox, Dynojet stage 2 jet kit

post #4 of 113 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 07:21 PM
POTW Moderator

Garage
And if those shocks have never been serviced we usually send out to a member that goes by Jogaca (Kevin). Just google "Jogaca suspension" and you will find his info and TONS of reviews. He has very affordable pricing vs brand name shocks with stellar customer service.
cw_mi and cookies934 like this.

[U]2006 raptor 700

DMC Force 4's, FCI W/box, Dynatek Fusion,
CP 11:1 piston, BaMotorsports porting, HC3
RacersEdge +3TB
YFZ 450 fronts & reworked rear by JOGACA
Trailtech 1 1/8 xbar w/vapor dash & Vapor installed
ODI Rogue grips & ASV pro pack levers
Fastway steering stabilizer
68HP 49TQ

PM me if you need service manuals
post #5 of 113 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 07:37 PM

+1 on what Morph said, just went to the dunes this past weekend and he was helping me set up my shocks i recently got from him. Great guy to deal with!
morphrider likes this.

2017 Raptor 700R SE
Shocks Rebuilt by Jogaca
Fuel Customs Intake
Monster Exhaust
PCV*Tuned by CuervoRacing*
post #6 of 113 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 03:35 AM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
If your shocks have reservoirs on them they aren't factory shocks. Most likely from a YFZ450. Look for grind marks on the aarms or shock bottom to verify. And yes, charged with nitrogen.

ALWAYS keep the rear track narrower then the front.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

'19 Can-Am X3, RS Turbo, 172 HP, 1300x15 STU #2 paddle, Tribute front, DynaTec controller, cat delete, GTP blow off valve, custom flame wrap, Bent Metal windshield, Blazer wiper, rear window, 48in LED light bar, 14in LED light bar, GTP LED side lights, S3 shock tower brace, aluminum rear pull plate, 5K Badlands winch, dual batteries, 5ft lighted whips, Rugged radio and intercom, interior lights, rock lights, chase lights, over $200 additional switches, YES, street legal with dirt tires.
post #7 of 113 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 08:16 AM

I don't get the guys wanting to lower the rears, if your shocks are set up you gonna have about 2" sag and that really helps. See mine with +4.3 swinger arms axle and Kevin's shocks. Rides like a marshmallo. Fyi your shocks get softer when extending rear end so that alone can resolve issues the under 150lb guys have. If you don't have a +2 swinger yet I have a 1year old lsr forsale. It helped great in the woods, where this bike was designed to be played with.

2005 KFX700 good bit of mods
2001 Raptor 660R too many mods
1985 ATC250R
post #8 of 113 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 12:04 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
I don't get the guys wanting to lower the rears, if your shocks are set up you gonna have about 2" sag and that really helps. See mine with +4.3 swinger arms axle and Kevin's shocks. Rides like a marshmallo. Fyi your shocks get softer when extending rear end so that alone can resolve issues the under 150lb guys have. If you don't have a +2 swinger yet I have a 1year old lsr forsale. It helped great in the woods, where this bike was designed to be played with.
I agree. A +2 swing arm will keep the front down better and still be trail/woods friendly. And, Google shock sag and adjust per your weight, it will make a world of difference.

'19 Can-Am X3, RS Turbo, 172 HP, 1300x15 STU #2 paddle, Tribute front, DynaTec controller, cat delete, GTP blow off valve, custom flame wrap, Bent Metal windshield, Blazer wiper, rear window, 48in LED light bar, 14in LED light bar, GTP LED side lights, S3 shock tower brace, aluminum rear pull plate, 5K Badlands winch, dual batteries, 5ft lighted whips, Rugged radio and intercom, interior lights, rock lights, chase lights, over $200 additional switches, YES, street legal with dirt tires.
post #9 of 113 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 01:04 PM

+2 swing arm. +3 a-arms and whatever axle rmatv is selling now. Use to be g force. I wish I would have went with +3's and not +2's. My next set of shocks will be from fox. Rode a bike set up like mine with those air shocks and it was insane.

IMO this is the perfect suspension for a woods bike in my area.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Joagaca suspension,gytr frame skid,yfz calipers,powermadd hand guards,prodesign shifter,fasst flexx bars,rox risers,t.m. design chain guide,+2 lonestar swinger,billet dash,x-rex rears, klaw xc fronts,ebay bumper,prodesign case saver,primary drive sprockets and chain, all balls wheel bearings,+2+1 lonestar a-arms,+2 g force axle,vitos jet kit,ac pro peg nerf,amradillo swinger skid,sparks exhaust,prodesign intake,foam filter,outterwear,no lid

post #10 of 113 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 01:50 PM

Friend of mine has a 700 with +3" A-arms.
He wishes he had +2" instead for trail riding. I agree with him too, and I used to run 250B MX, dirtbike, and I keep a fast a pace through the woods on 4 wheels too.
Have you ridden +3" A-arms? If not, I'de try them before I bought them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode