Raptor Forum banner

Can someone help me??? Thank you!!!

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  QuadManiac 
#1 ·
I just got a 01, 660 i can run/ride it for about 5 to 8 minutes until its warmed up then it cuts out, sputters and dies and will not start until it has cooled down. The jetting is good it pulls strong from idle to full throttle and idles fine so i do not see it being a fuel problem. Anyone here have any ideas what the problem is?

THANK YOU
Jeremy.

#2 ·
Check your gas cap vent. You should be able to blow thru and not suck out of the hose. If it's plugged the tank will build a vacuum and not let fuel flow. After the tank pressure equalizes, it will start again for 5-8 minutes.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

#9 ·
Simply cut the red wire from the stator (between the side cover and the first connector into the wiring harness) and your problem will go away permanantly with no other issues. This usually eliminates the short that you're seeing by removing a winding that is not needed for this version of the engine (it was needed for the kick start version)

#12 · (Edited)
No... please do what I recommend. JUST be careful which wire you disconnect - take special notice - it is the red wire that exits the left side cover with the stator wires - disconnect somewhere along its path before it reaches the CDI - NOT the red wire that leads from the rec/rec to the start relay and key switch!

It has NO bad effects, charging still works, as does everything else. All it does is eliminate the most common failure of the stator due to a short between the pulse winding and the reverse rotation winding (which is a hold over from the kick start version of the motor and is of no use to us now).

I have been running with a disconnected red stator wire for 3 years... as are many other forum members. BTW, many aftermarket 660 stators have eliminated this winding all together; and this is where we got the idea in the first place!

What have you got to lose? Your stator currently has a short when it warms up. It will need to be replaced UNLESS you find a miracle. I have given you the possibility of that miracle. If it doesn't work, you're no worse off than when you started!

#17 · (Edited)
An advanced search (in the 'Raptor 660 Categories' only) for "warrior shocks" returns the following:

http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/search.php?searchid=5524513

some of which seem to suggest that Warrior 350 shocks will fit a 660 - but I can't verify this through personal experience.

Anybody else have any real experience with this swap?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.