Yamaha Raptor Forum

Yamaha Raptor Forum (https://www.raptorforum.com/forums/)
-   Raptor 660 Maintenance (https://www.raptorforum.com/forums/66-raptor-660-maintenance/)
-   -   Engine still missing out, bad Battery???? (https://www.raptorforum.com/forums/66-raptor-660-maintenance/338457-engine-still-missing-out-bad-battery.html)

Jeremy660 08-24-2015 08:25 PM

Engine still missing out, bad Battery????

So i have put in a new stator, pick up coil, High performance Ignition Coil and still my rappy backfires,sputters,cuts out on acceleration and dies and will not charge the battery. The battery it self is about dead, (and i do have gas leaking from carbs probably bad needle and seats). Are the dead battery and bad needle&seats enough to cause these problems or is it other issues? I have done away with the clutch safety wiring and parking brake wiring. I still have the red stator wire hooked up and reverse wiring hooked up. :mp5: lol

DEZPERADO 08-24-2015 08:46 PM

First of all, you MUST fix your fuel leak. Unless you like running around with your pants on fire, while your Raptor burns up. I've seen it happen and it's not funny or pretty.

Next, put a trickle/float charger on for 48hrs or more.

Did you test your old stator as suggested in your old thread. Did you test the replacement stator? Is it new or used. Why did you replace the pickup coil, and ignition coil? Did they TEST BAD??

You can keep replacing parts until you have a new quad. Or test parts and replace only what's bad.

Jeremy660 08-24-2015 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEZPERADO (Post 3086825)
First of all, you MUST fix your fuel leak. Unless you like running around with your pants on fire, while your Raptor burns up. I've seen it happen and it's not funny or pretty.

Next, put a trickle/float charger on for 48hrs or more.

Did you test your old stator as suggested in your old thread. Did you test the replacement stator? Is it new or used. Why did you replace the pickup coil, and ignition coil? Did they TEST BAD??

You can keep replacing parts until you have a new quad. Or test parts and replace only what's bad.

I had the battery on a slow charge for 25-30 hrs and it just goes dead after maybe 4 to 5 start tries. The old stator had a burnt looking wire on it so i went ahead and replaced it along with the pick up and ignition coil so they all would be new while i was at it. I have no tester to check them though.

DEZPERADO 08-24-2015 10:05 PM

Harbor Freight has VOM's for about $10. With a coupon and any purchase they can be had for free. Send me your address and email, I'll send you a coupon for free.

Jeremy660 08-24-2015 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEZPERADO (Post 3086969)
Harbor Freight has VOM's for about $10. With a coupon and any purchase they can be had for free. Send me your address and email, I'll send you a coupon for free.

I can borrow my buddy's tomorrow, but in all honesty i will probably just replace what electrical that is left, get new battery and rebuild the carbs. Then i will know it's all good. I would fill better knowing it has fresh electronics and new bat and fresh carb rebuilds.

DEZPERADO 08-25-2015 12:29 AM

OK, sorry we couldn't help you, as well as save you lots of money.

GOOD LUCK.

QuadManiac 08-25-2015 01:40 AM

It's a shame - the shotgun approach to troubleshooting almost always costs so much with so little in return... For God's sake... if your battery can't hold a charge after using a plug in charger for 30 hours, how do you expect the Raptor's charging system to do any better?

It sounds to me as if you have multiple issues - a bad battery being the first to fix so others can be sorted out. Most likely your carbs are dirty or mis-jetted also...

Get the battery/charging system straightened out (using a Voltmeter to make simple tests) so you can troubleshoot other issues without the battery dying after 4 starting attempts.

You haven't mentioned the rectifier/regulator - with engine running above idle, the three white wires into the rec/reg should have around 20VAC across any of the three possible pairings... if they all do, the red wire output of the rec/reg (with battery connected) should be around 14 VDC. If lower AC on any pair of the whites, or low DC on the Red will tell you if it's stator or rec/reg.

Jeremy660 08-25-2015 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEZPERADO (Post 3087161)
OK, sorry we couldn't help you, as well as save you lots of money.

GOOD LUCK.

It's ok i have spare money set aside for it.

Jeremy660 08-25-2015 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuadManiac (Post 3087241)
It's a shame - the shotgun approach to troubleshooting almost always costs so much with so little in return... For God's sake... if your battery can't hold a charge after using a plug in charger for 30 hours, how do you expect the Raptor's charging system to do any better?

It sounds to me as if you have multiple issues - a bad battery being the first to fix so others can be sorted out. Most likely your carbs are dirty or mis-jetted also...

Get the battery/charging system straightened out (using a Voltmeter to make simple tests) so you can troubleshoot other issues without the battery dying after 4 starting attempts.

You haven't mentioned the rectifier/regulator - with engine running above idle, the three white wires into the rec/reg should have around 20VAC across any of the three possible pairings... if they all do, the red wire output of the rec/reg (with battery connected) should be around 14 VDC. If lower AC on any pair of the whites, or low DC on the Red will tell you if it's stator or rec/reg.

I have money set aside for it, if i am going to replace a few electronical things im going to replace them all and not half ass it and only replace a peace or two... I just want to make sure nothing major is bad, dont want to be on trail and have something give.

Thanks guys.

QuadManiac 08-26-2015 01:26 AM

If I tell you how to fix it without spending anything, you will then split that money with me, right? :smile