Starter does not engage - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Starter does not engage

This is a 2003 660r.

When I bought it, it had started without any problems, but then it sat in my garage for three months. I started it twice during that time, the first time the starter seemed to slip a bit, but I wasn't familiar with the sounds so I couldn't tell if anything was really wrong. The second time it would engage for a second, then had a free-spinning whirring sound, then would engage again. Third time I went to start it, it just whirred. Would not engage at all.

Went on a trip, had to be pop-started to go, then after a dozen miles or so, we stopped for something or other, and instead of pop-starting, I tried the starter. It engaged immediately and sounded exactly like I thought it would (same as my motorcycle) and the engine fired up. The starter worked fine for the rest of the day.

Next morning, it would not work again. Just whirred.

I'm pretty sure that when you hit the button, the starter spins, and the centrifugal force throws a gear out a little bit which catches the engine. This gear appears to be frozen, and only a hard ride jostled it loose so it would work.

Thus my questions are:

Do I need to replace the whole starter
Can I just replace the throwout piece (Can I even get the part)
Can I just clean and lube the starter?

If (replace starter), how involved is a unit replacement? Just a few bolts and drop in, like a car? Is there a system similar to cars where you bring the old core and they give you a discount on the new one, etc?

If (replace piece), how involved is that? I've not worked on a quad before (just Harleys), but I have the tools and workspace available. There is a panel on the side of the engine that looks to be the covering for where the starter engages the engine, but I don't know what's behind it (Oil all over the floor? Springs to explode out of there and blind me? Dragons and giant squids??) so I'm wary of popping bolts until I'm comfortable that I won't make anything worse, make a mess, or DIE. (haha)

If (clean and lube), what kind of cleaner, and what brand of lube is recommended?

Thanks

-Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 04:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to Limited660 Send a message via Yahoo to Limited660
Re: Starter does not engage

Sounds like the one-way has gone bad, the 2 best replacements are L&A and L&L and if you do replace it, you should replace the flywheel 52 tooth gear also.

All of my posts require the use of your own common sense!

2004 Limited Edition 660 Raptor - Pro Circuit T-4 Full Exhaust - TrailTech Vapor - TrailTech Logo Dashboard - Trailtech X Bars - MotorSport Sport Bumper - DG Water Pump Plate - GYTR A-Arm Skids - GYTR Full Body Skid - GYTR Swingarm Skid - ITP Holeshots - GYTR Heel Guards

New Toy!! - 2011 Ranger RZR 900 XP - 4500lb Winch - Full Cab
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

To clarify, you say I can replace just the one-way, and the L&L/L&A are the best choices.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 04:36 PM

Yes, I believe that is problem but you might want to wait for someone with more knowledge in this area to post

2004 Limited Edition 660 Raptor - Pro Circuit T-4 Full Exhaust - TrailTech Vapor - TrailTech Logo Dashboard - Trailtech X Bars - MotorSport Sport Bumper - DG Water Pump Plate - GYTR A-Arm Skids - GYTR Full Body Skid - GYTR Swingarm Skid - ITP Holeshots - GYTR Heel Guards

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 04:41 PM

This used to be my quad.
The one way and gear was replaced not too long ago. It sounds like the smaller gear behind the starter cover. Do those even go bad

For the coal riders of PA,
www.youtube.com/coalcountryriders
If you ride PA check out the forum,
www.coalcountryriders.com
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 04:44 PM

Seems like its something to do with this assembly?

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/3/Type/All-Terrain_Vehicle_(ATV)/MakeID/4/Make/Yamaha/YearID/44/Year/2003/ModelID/7903/Model/Raptor_660/GroupID/376029/Group/STARTER_#

For the coal riders of PA,
www.youtube.com/coalcountryriders
If you ride PA check out the forum,
www.coalcountryriders.com
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 04:49 PM

Number 6 is just a needle bearing for the gear behind it. It I owned it, I would pull the starter and take a look at that gear and if you can see the other gear the starter drives, maybe pull the plug off of the left engine and turn the motor off and check the gears to see what they look like.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 06:03 PM

You can clean the starter by spraying a graphite based spray can like u can buy at napa autoparts. Take the starter out, put it in a vice, hook a the battery up to it with jumpercables and when it spins spray the flywheel untill it comes out, you may need to tap it with a hammer.

I had the same problem and thats how i fixed mine.

-kyle
Colin Jalbert likes this.

You ride in Fresno, Pismo, Visaila, Hollister, Miami Trails ect? PM me.

'02 660 , UM Black nerfs, pegs and heal guard, DimondJ Customs +3, DG Stage 1 Pipe and Jets, ASR Chromely Tie Rods, G-Force Axel, 13/41 gears, L&A Oneway, AC Full Skid plates, flipped link, '05 YFZ Front Shocks, IMS Shifter

'01 660, 706 Big Bore, Ported and Polished heads, Stage 2 hot cam with springs, jet and pipe, 13/42 Gears, Durablue +2.5 spacers, Pro Armor Full Skid plates, L&A Oneway, CRJ Lowering kit, flipped link
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 08:08 PM

Based on your description it's your one-way, it engages sometimes because you still have bearings that catch on the part of the one-way, your starter is fine because if it was your teeth it would try to turn over when some of the teeth caught, go to raptortranny.com for a one-way installation guide
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 01:56 AM
Master of the Electron

Its the one way

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode