Raptor Forum banner

starting problem with 2001 Raptor

3K views 22 replies 4 participants last post by  Scotscockney 
#1 ·
Hello,my name is Scotscockney and I live in Aberdeenshire Scotland.I run a road legal 2001 660 Raptor that has issues starting.If I remove spark plug the starter will turn over engine,when I put plug back in I get a clicking from starter solenoid,and starter will not turn over engine :(.I have brand new battery on it that is fully charged.Any one got any ideas ?

#3 ·
Hello,my name is Scotscockney and I live in Aberdeenshire Scotland.I run a road legal 2001 660 Raptor that has issues starting.If I remove spark plug the starter will turn over engine,when I put plug back in I get a clicking from starter solenoid,and starter will not turn over engine :(.I have brand new battery on it that is fully charged.Any one got any ideas ? PS I forgot to say that all electrics seem to be fine,will do charging checks if I can get it started.Problem seems to be mechanical rather than electrical .

#4 ·
I forgot to add all electrics seem to be working fine,i will check charging when I get it started.My problem seems mechanical not electrical,decompressor maybe ?

#5 ·
Was gonna check valves next ,thank you I have heard they can tighten up,will get back to it tomorrow,it's 9pm here .

#6 ·
Ok,i've adjusted valves and I get same result,turns over without spark plug in,doesn't turn over with plug in.Looks like i'm gonna have to take the top off and see what's amiss.

#7 ·
Don't pull the head yet!!

Check the decompression mechanism.

If the solenoid clicks it's usually caused by a low battery or bad battery cables. Minimum voltage on a good battery should be 13.6 volts.

Try jumper cables from another vehicle battery.

Take a screw driver across the big solenoid terminals. Yes, it should spark and crank.

Check battery cable ends and wires for white corrosion. If in the wires, replace. If on the terminals, clean with fine sand paper and add dielectric. Don't forget the ground wire.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

Reactions: jsanders347
#8 ·
I tried all that,got brand new battery on Friday fully charged,tried jump start Thursday and no joy wouldn't turn over.I'm gonna have to take rocker cover off and check decompression mechanism next ,but I hoped I wouldn't have to.Ah well life is sent to try us .

#9 ·
What happened when you put a screwdriver across the solenoid?

Do you have a volt meter to test the battery? What reading do you get when trying to start?

#10 · (Edited)
I got sparks and clicking,battery tests at 14.2,not sure yet will try that tomorrow.Strange thing is if I push starter without plug in the engine turns over fine,put plug in and it seems to stick as if compression is stopping it turning then the solenoid starts clicking.I've also got good spark,reinforced battery cables and a Heavy Duty motobat 21amp battery to boot,also got 2 other fully charged batteries,a 10 and 12 amp,any of which should turn it over.So any ideas would be greatfully received.

#11 ·
As long as your battery cables are good, then yes, check the compression release.

#12 ·
Cheers,just hope it's not too bad.By the way are 700 front calipers a straight swap out on 660?

#13 ·
Ok,so I pulled the rocker coverand found the little decompression pin had lost it's little spring,chewed the hole out,bent the pin and taken a lump out of the cam follower.Nice one aye ! so it's cheaper for me to get a stage 1 cam and pin,spring n cam follower than get a Yamaha one.will keep ya posted on it.

#14 · (Edited)
I remember a year or two ago about welding the decomp pin as coming out was/is a common problem. I would replace the timing chain and inspect the gear. Take a small magnet and try to fish any missing metal.

700 calipers will fit a 660 as long as you get the mounting plates/brackets with the calipers.

#15 ·
We did toy with idea of welding the pin, but really didn't like the state of the hole.My mechanic bud reckoned camshaft might last year then go again,so we decided to get new hotrods stage 1 camshaft as reckon it'll last lot longer.The rockers looked like they had never been off in there life and this thing has allways been pig to start n getting worse so think this has been a long running saga.:wink .will keep ya posted when the parts go on.till then i'm fishing with magnets :smile

Reactions: DEZPERADO
#16 ·
Tight intake valves will also cause hard starting. Good luck fishing, lol. You might also get a magnetic drain plug if you don't find anything

Reactions: Scotscockney
#17 · (Edited)
Got my camshaft,rocker arm,pin,spring all ordered,also ordered magnetic drain plug and couple of oil filters.Hopefully my bits will turn up end of next week.Thanks very much for your help DEZ,made life a lot easier.:smile Oh it turns out my 2001 is actually a 2002,lol

#18 ·
Quick update,i've flushed through engine with 2 stroke petrol mix,put magnetic drain plug in and repeated 3 times,got some metal filings out.Will do a fresh oil flush during the week.:grin

#19 · (Edited)
Got my Hotcams stage 1 camshaft just waiting on my decompression parts as postman didn't knock at house again (typical).Can I still run fully synthetic oil or do I need to run it in on mineral? So back to sorting office tomorrow and hopefully get this baby up n running over weekend:smile.DEZ have you ever posted overseas ? as you have some nice kit for sale:wink PS I have 2nd magnetic drain plug coming for the oil tank.

#20 · (Edited)
Ok. I got my top end all back together last night also put on another starter motor as mine gave up. I still have a hard starting issue.How many clicks/marks should show on cam chain tensioner?i have 10 marks showing. could my cam chain have stretched causing a advance/retard of timing?. Then I'll re-run through trouble shooting in manual,but to be honest we are a bit stumped any in-put would be wellcome:wink, I have a question on small cam that inserts into main cam shaft, does the little pin sit on the flat of little cam on install or does it sit on the round part on install? asking as it's not clear in manuals.cheers.Have inlet valves set at .20 and exhaust valves at .25 (hotcams instructions)

#21 ·
IT'S ALIVE !!!!! had the small cam/decompression lever 180degrees out,refitted and growl roar snarl.:grin:grin:grin I am very happy bunny.thanks to everyone for there help and advice.:devil.:devil

#23 · (Edited)
So happy,for the first time in 4 years she starts on the button everytime I need her too.:grin, the local villages are gonna be disturbed a lot :devil PS I've also done my PB sensor as we have to have parking brake for MoT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.