starting problem with 2001 Raptor - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Angry starting problem with 2001 Raptor

Hello,my name is Scotscockney and I live in Aberdeenshire Scotland.I run a road legal 2001 660 Raptor that has issues starting.If I remove spark plug the starter will turn over engine,when I put plug back in I get a clicking from starter solenoid,and starter will not turn over engine .I have brand new battery on it that is fully charged.Any one got any ideas ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 02:01 PM

Adjust the valves. A service manual can be downloaded in the stickys section.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Hello,my name is Scotscockney and I live in Aberdeenshire Scotland.I run a road legal 2001 660 Raptor that has issues starting.If I remove spark plug the starter will turn over engine,when I put plug back in I get a clicking from starter solenoid,and starter will not turn over engine .I have brand new battery on it that is fully charged.Any one got any ideas ? PS I forgot to say that all electrics seem to be fine,will do charging checks if I can get it started.Problem seems to be mechanical rather than electrical .

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

I forgot to add all electrics seem to be working fine,i will check charging when I get it started.My problem seems mechanical not electrical,decompressor maybe ?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Was gonna check valves next ,thank you I have heard they can tighten up,will get back to it tomorrow,it's 9pm here .
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Ok,i've adjusted valves and I get same result,turns over without spark plug in,doesn't turn over with plug in.Looks like i'm gonna have to take the top off and see what's amiss.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:47 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
Don't pull the head yet!!

Check the decompression mechanism.

If the solenoid clicks it's usually caused by a low battery or bad battery cables. Minimum voltage on a good battery should be 13.6 volts.

Try jumper cables from another vehicle battery.

Take a screw driver across the big solenoid terminals. Yes, it should spark and crank.

Check battery cable ends and wires for white corrosion. If in the wires, replace. If on the terminals, clean with fine sand paper and add dielectric. Don't forget the ground wire.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.
jsanders347 likes this.

2007 RAPTOR 700, SAND QUAD, 11:1 CP, +5 HR CRANK, PC3, +2 TB, LONE STAR XC +1, +1 A-ARMS, HD TIE RODS, JOGACA REAR SHOCK, ASV LEVERS, +4 REAR AXLE, DR.D REVERSE, ODI GRIPS, 1 1/8 CARBON BARS, DG BUMPER. BILLET: GAS CAP, BRAKE COVER, THROTTLE LEVER, BAR MOUNTS. LED LIGHTS'
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

I tried all that,got brand new battery on Friday fully charged,tried jump start Thursday and no joy wouldn't turn over.I'm gonna have to take rocker cover off and check decompression mechanism next ,but I hoped I wouldn't have to.Ah well life is sent to try us .
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:16 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
What happened when you put a screwdriver across the solenoid?

Do you have a volt meter to test the battery? What reading do you get when trying to start?

2007 RAPTOR 700, SAND QUAD, 11:1 CP, +5 HR CRANK, PC3, +2 TB, LONE STAR XC +1, +1 A-ARMS, HD TIE RODS, JOGACA REAR SHOCK, ASV LEVERS, +4 REAR AXLE, DR.D REVERSE, ODI GRIPS, 1 1/8 CARBON BARS, DG BUMPER. BILLET: GAS CAP, BRAKE COVER, THROTTLE LEVER, BAR MOUNTS. LED LIGHTS'
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

I got sparks and clicking,battery tests at 14.2,not sure yet will try that tomorrow.Strange thing is if I push starter without plug in the engine turns over fine,put plug in and it seems to stick as if compression is stopping it turning then the solenoid starts clicking.I've also got good spark,reinforced battery cables and a Heavy Duty motobat 21amp battery to boot,also got 2 other fully charged batteries,a 10 and 12 amp,any of which should turn it over.So any ideas would be greatfully received.

Last edited by Scotscockney; 04-16-2019 at 04:45 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode