Raptor 686 crank no start and getting spark and fuel - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Cws11499
  • 1 Post By QuadManiac
  • 1 Post By QuadManiac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Raptor 686 crank no start and getting spark and fuel

I have a 01 660 supposedly bored to a “686” so it ran when I bought it but it needed a solenoid, put a new oem one on from Yamaha and it ran. I took it out today and it started to stahl when I let off the gas. Keep in mind it idled and ran before great but all of the sudden it started to stahl when I was off the gas and now it won’t start at all but cranks and fires out the exhaust once or twice if o hit it with ether. Has good spark and is getting plenty of fuel. Ran out of ideas on where to go next, possibly timing? Stator or cdi maybe voltage regulator? Battery is new and works in another 4 wheeler so it’s fine. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated thanks
Scotscockney likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:00 AM

Check your valve gaps,they are very important as they can tighten over time.Does it have standard camshaft or other?for example my stage 1 cams run larger valve gaps than standard at .20 inlet and .25 exhaust but stock are .15 inlet and .20 exhaust good luck

2002 Raptor 660,street quad,hotcams stage 1, motion pro twist throttle conversion,+1 inch wheel spacers front,+2 inch spacers rear,XTZ left hand switch cluster,shaved front bodywork,Maxis streetmax f+r, Alloy Boltz Inc stainless steel 600 piece fasterner kit. K+N filter. MotoGP grips.TM Designworks drain plug.Roads like Isle Of Man TT course
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 12:26 AM
Master of the Electron

Welcome to the forum!

Check intake valve clearance... if it's not way too tight we'll go from there. Let s know.
Scotscockney likes this.

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:28 PM
Master of the Electron

You have PMd me with more questions. I don't troubleshoot via PM because only you get the benefit from that - the whole idea behind the forum is that everyone gains from every question/answer session. Repeat your questions here and they will get answered.

Valve clearance may or may not be your problem, but it is easy to check and is one possible cause - although the typical 660 clearance problem leads to a cold no-start, not quite your issue.

You claim to have fuel and spark. The only thing missing then is compression (or incorrect cam timing causing compression loss). If you prefer to not check your valves then check compression instead.

The other common failure with 660s is dirty carbs, especially pilot jets and the passages from pilot jet through fuel screw to the carb throat... meticulous carb cleaning is a pain but often necessary.

But keep in mind - if you ARE getting continuous, good spark and you ARE getting proper fuel then it SHOULD run... not necessarily well, but at least try to run and stay running. You've gone from riding to dying when letting off throttle to to not even starting... that makes me very carb suspicious.

Also read the sticky - MOST COMMON 660 PROBLEMS EXPLAINED and see if any of these match up.

What was the symptom that caused you to replace the solenoid? Also, did it EVER really run well for you or did you buy it with these issues for the most part?
Scotscockney likes this.

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo

Last edited by QuadManiac; 05-10-2019 at 05:54 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode