Crank but no start - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By QuadManiac
  • 1 Post By QuadManiac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Crank but no start

I've spent days looking through old threads and nothing seems to be quite like my problem or if it seems similar there's no solution I've seen. I just got given what I believe is a 2003 raptor 660 which cranks, has good spark and will run off starting fluid. I just replaced the battery and spark plug. I have no idea where to go. I've also gone over the carbs and cleaned the jets. This is what it sounds like. I can post a video of mine later if that will help anything https://youtu.be/Kppp_IY0NIQ
Thanks to anyone who can give me a hand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 12:54 PM
Master of the Electron

Welcome to the forum! 1st - you're posted in the 660 suspension forum... I'll see if we can get you moved to 660 general or 660 maintenance - you may not get the visitors you need here.

BTW, charge your battery if you can - it sounds as if it's getting low (cranking speed is a bit slow) to me.

If it runs on starting fluid then you are simply not getting fuel through the carbs.

Have you verified that fuel gets TO the carbs? Do you have flow through the petcock? Open the drain screw on each carb. If fuel streams out, then the carbs have fuel and your issue is inside the carbs - either they are not cleaned well enough, the jetting is way off, or some other issue is going on... how many turns out are your fuel (pilot) screws set to?

If it still is the carbs, check and report back numbers on the jets and tell us what modifications the quad has (exhaust and air box mods)... then it's up to you to figure out since we can't see the carbs. check that both have fuel in them, verify that the fuel screw tips are not broken off in the carb throats, check that all orings and springs and spacers are in the correct orientation on the fuel screws and choke plunger... It should at least try to start and run - does your choke plunger work properly? Are your vacuum diaphragms intact (no tears) and mounted properly? Have you download the (free) service manual yet?
Mad Dog and Alamo like this.

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo

Last edited by QuadManiac; 08-05-2019 at 01:15 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadManiac View Post
Welcome to the forum! 1st - you're posted in the 660 suspension forum... I'll see if we can get you moved to 660 general or 660 maintenance - you may not get the visitors you need here.

BTW, charge your battery if you can - it sounds as if it's getting low (cranking speed is a bit slow) to me.

If it runs on starting fluid then you are simply not getting fuel through the carbs.

Have you verified that fuel gets TO the carbs? Do you have flow through the petcock? Open the drain screw on each carb. If fuel streams out, then the carbs have fuel and your issue is inside the carbs - either they are not cleaned well enough, the jetting is way off, or some other issue is going on... how many turns out are your fuel (pilot) screws set to?

If it still is the carbs, check and report back numbers on the jets and tell us what modifications the quad has (exhaust and air box mods)... then it's up to you to figure out since we can't see the carbs. check that both have fuel in them, verify that the fuel screw tips are not broken off in the carb throats, check that all orings and springs and spacers are in the correct orientation on the fuel screws and choke plunger... It should at least try to start and run - does your choke plunger work properly? Are your vacuum diaphragms intact (no tears) and mounted properly? Have you download the (free) service manual yet?
I'm getting fuel to the carbs. I have both pilot screws 3 full turns out. I'm not sure if it has after market jets, it has a high flow air filter and no air box cover with the stock exhaust. Vacuum diaphragms are intact. I will go over the carbs again tomorrow to make sure that it is all lined up correctly. I will test drain screws tomorrow as well. I'm not sure where to find the service manual also, so if you could link that it would be much appreciated

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasew View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadManiac View Post

I'm getting fuel to the carbs. I have both pilot screws 3 full turns out. I'm not sure if it has after market jets, it has a high flow air filter and no air box cover with the stock exhaust. Vacuum diaphragms are intact. I will go over the carbs again tomorrow to make sure that it is all lined up correctly. I will test drain screws tomorrow as well. I'm not sure where to find the service manual also, so if you could link that it would be much appreciated
Is your spark plug wet at all? If not then fuel is not making it there and I would keep after the carbs. Have you checked the compression? A hung intake valve can cause a no fuel issue as well.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:43 PM
Master of the Electron

Go to:

https://www.raptorforum.com/forums/6...mentation.html

Click on the first link then "DOWNLOAD"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dl.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	133029  
Alamo likes this.

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo

Last edited by QuadManiac; 08-06-2019 at 09:51 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode