Several issues(Wont Start/Rev Limiter) - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Several issues(Wont Start/Rev Limiter)

Hello! This is my first post as I'm at a loss. I know alot of this has been covered but I can not find and answer to my exact problem. Little back story first. I decided to help a coworker out by putting his boys 660 back together after his boy tore it down to nuts and bolts. It has been sitting for about 3 years. So, after getting it put back together, we figured out it need a one-way bearing and a few random little things. Got the new bearing in and installed and got it started. Now, before I first started it, I hooked up the battery just to make sure I had power. No neutral light and the reverse light was on. Figured out where to ground those and the neutral light came on and reverse light went out. So officially got it started today and here are the issues:

1)Turned the power on and the Reverse light was lit. Started it up and rev limiter was active. I read ALOT of posts about the reverse ground. I took it off and grounded it to the frame, battery, and CDI and it still wont go off. I've traced the wire back and it looks fine. Not sure where to go next.
2) Putted around the yard in "limp" mode for about 60sec. Got back to the garage and she died. Hit the starter and it just spun. Took the side cover back off and the nut holding the one-way bearing and everything had come loose. Got everything tightened back up now she just backfires and wont start. I'm assuming its crud in the carbs but any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:57 PM
Master of the Electron

You probably spun or sheared the woodruff key between crank and flywheel. Fix this first! The nut MUST have red loctite and be torqued to the proper torque - it is hard to get it tight enough... but when it loosens and slips you usually shear the woodruff key.

How do you know it is the reverse light that is on? the bulbs/sockets are interchangeable in the colored lenes... could it be the neutral light?

The same limiter problems are associated with the parking brake switch wire - cut the green/yellow wire near the CDI - does the problem go away?

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo

Last edited by QuadManiac; 08-06-2019 at 10:01 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

I posted the same inquiry on Facebook and someone brought the woodruff key to my attention. Completely forgot about that possibly shearing. I'll tear into that tomorrow. As far as the Reverse light, I have the neutral light as well. And it will go in and out of gear without issue thus the neutral light will cycle on and off accordingly so its deffinently the reverse light thats lit. The parking brake and all associated components have been removed by the previous owner. But I will check the green/yellow wire today and see if it changes anything.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 01:27 AM
Master of the Electron

Ground the end of the green/white wire that leads to the CDI, near the CDI. If the light doesn't go out now, pull the CDI connector and see if the green/white's connector pin is damaged.

Is there a Facebook 660 page?

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

I was talking to some guys at work and I think we've came to the conclusion that it's a wire or wiring harness issue. I'm going to be going through the harness tomorrow and checking everything. I noticed a few places that the previous owner hacked up. I will for sure be paying close attention to the green/white reverse wire. It has a few other weird wiring quirks as well. Makes us think there is a ground issue somewhere.

And the Facebook group isnt huge. It's called "660 Yamaha Raptor". Was the top result in a quick search. Just figured it wouldn't hurt to ask on there to see if I can get any info. Saw a few people post some issues similar to mine on there.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Figured out my issues. I tested the wire from the reverse switch to the plug by applying low voltage power and using a test light. It had no power. Cut the wire back by the plug and tested it again. It had power. So somewhere between there and the plug the wire was bad. Grounded it at the plug and it's good to go now.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 10:55 AM
Master of the Electron

Voila! Glad to hear - that's why I said "near the CDI". Wires leading to the CDI have been known to get chomped on by a loose battery.

'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode