Electrical/Starting Issues - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Electrical/Starting Issues

Hello all. New to the forum so I hope I am posting this in the right place.

I seem to be having some issues with my 2005 raptor 660. When hitting the ignition button it will do nothing for a few seconds before it starts turning over, but will fire right up upon turning over. Once started if I turn on the headlights the engine will die. But this only will happen once! If I start it up again I will have no problem turning the lights on and off. When slowing down (no throttle) the engine will begin to sputter and either die or start running normally after a few seconds.

I appreciate any help that can be given.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Also it will not start in neutral unless the clutch lever is pulled in.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 12:30 PM

Make sure your battery is good and voltage for your fuel pump, injectors, and starter voltage “check-in” with proper timing.. if anything “checks-in” late or weak/low. Start at your relays and fuses. If everything checks out good as far as voltage, the try to eliminate problems to a specific malfunction part (stator, battery, fuel pump, filter, lean angle sensor, pcm/ecu, connections etc...) If the engine does run well and just has trouble maintaining must be a pressure or voltage drop(fuel pump, stator, fuse) what year is the bike and what is it’s “work history)?

“When there’s a nut, there’s a wrench”
“When there’s a wheel, there’s a way”

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 03:06 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
You don't have a fuel pump. It sounds like your battery isn't getting a charge. Test your battery voltage to at least 12.5 - 13 volts, and then start the motor and rev it and watch for the voltage to increase. If it increases your battery may be bad. If it doesn't increase your stater may be bad. But that could be as easy as a wire that needs to be cut.

'19 Can-Am X3, RS Turbo, 172 HP, 1300x15 STU #2 paddle, Tribute front, DynaTec controller, cat delete, GTP blow off valve, custom flame wrap, Bent Metal windshield, Blazer wiper, rear window, 48in LED light bar, 14in LED light bar, GTP LED side lights, S3 shock tower brace, aluminum rear pull plate, 5K Badlands winch, dual batteries, 5ft lighted whips, Rugged radio and intercom, interior lights, rock lights, chase lights, over $200 additional switches, YES, street legal with dirt tires.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 11:34 PM
Master of the Electron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEZPERADO View Post
If it doesn't increase your stater may be bad. But that could be as easy as a wire that needs to be cut.
Close, Dez... but, unfortunately cutting the red stator wire does not fix this (you are describing no charge?) problem - it is to resolve a singular, unrelated no spark condition.

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo

Last edited by QuadManiac; 10-11-2019 at 11:37 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 12:26 AM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadManiac View Post
Close, Dez... but, unfortunately cutting the red stator wire does not fix this (you are describing no charge?) problem - it is to resolve a singular, unrelated no spark condition.
Most of what I know about the 660 I learned from QuadManiac, and it's good that he chimes.

So, to the OP, don't cut any wires. But, still check the voltage as said.

Not having a 660 I can only give some general knowledge that apples to any bike about the charging system.

'19 Can-Am X3, RS Turbo, 172 HP, 1300x15 STU #2 paddle, Tribute front, DynaTec controller, cat delete, GTP blow off valve, custom flame wrap, Bent Metal windshield, Blazer wiper, rear window, 48in LED light bar, 14in LED light bar, GTP LED side lights, S3 shock tower brace, aluminum rear pull plate, 5K Badlands winch, dual batteries, 5ft lighted whips, Rugged radio and intercom, interior lights, rock lights, chase lights, over $200 additional switches, YES, street legal with dirt tires.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 07:42 AM

You may need a new battery, new spark plug, clean air filter and possibly a ignition switch or coil. These are low cost fixes and do it yourself. I had a similar issue with my 2002. I have a 2004 now. This fix my problem but each quad is different. Also you may want to check your idle needle on the side by the petcock and possibly carb adjustments maybe needed. Hope you get it back running right.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 04:18 PM
Master of the Electron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocinante1856 View Post
When hitting the ignition button it will do nothing for a few seconds before it starts turning over... Once started if I turn on the headlights the engine will die.
I suspect you have several issues, two of them probably related to dirt and corrosion in your multi-function switch module on the left side of the handlebars. Remove and thoroughly clean the switches in it with contact or brake cleaner spray. Those problems should be gone and you can then focus on whatever's left.

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo

Last edited by QuadManiac; 10-18-2019 at 04:21 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode