Raptor Forum banner

Electrical/Starting Issues

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  QuadManiac 
#1 ·
Hello all. New to the forum so I hope I am posting this in the right place.

I seem to be having some issues with my 2005 raptor 660. When hitting the ignition button it will do nothing for a few seconds before it starts turning over, but will fire right up upon turning over. Once started if I turn on the headlights the engine will die. But this only will happen once! If I start it up again I will have no problem turning the lights on and off. When slowing down (no throttle) the engine will begin to sputter and either die or start running normally after a few seconds.

I appreciate any help that can be given.

#3 ·
Make sure your battery is good and voltage for your fuel pump, injectors, and starter voltage “check-in” with proper timing.. if anything “checks-in” late or weak/low. Start at your relays and fuses. If everything checks out good as far as voltage, the try to eliminate problems to a specific malfunction part (stator, battery, fuel pump, filter, lean angle sensor, pcm/ecu, connections etc...) If the engine does run well and just has trouble maintaining must be a pressure or voltage drop(fuel pump, stator, fuse) what year is the bike and what is it’s “work history)?

#4 ·
You don't have a fuel pump. It sounds like your battery isn't getting a charge. Test your battery voltage to at least 12.5 - 13 volts, and then start the motor and rev it and watch for the voltage to increase. If it increases your battery may be bad. If it doesn't increase your stater may be bad. But that could be as easy as a wire that needs to be cut.

#5 · (Edited)
If it doesn't increase your stater may be bad. But that could be as easy as a wire that needs to be cut.
Close, Dez... but, unfortunately cutting the red stator wire does not fix this (you are describing no charge?) problem - it is to resolve a singular, unrelated no spark condition.

#7 ·
You may need a new battery, new spark plug, clean air filter and possibly a ignition switch or coil. These are low cost fixes and do it yourself. I had a similar issue with my 2002. I have a 2004 now. This fix my problem but each quad is different. Also you may want to check your idle needle on the side by the petcock and possibly carb adjustments maybe needed. Hope you get it back running right.

#8 · (Edited)
When hitting the ignition button it will do nothing for a few seconds before it starts turning over... Once started if I turn on the headlights the engine will die.
I suspect you have several issues, two of them probably related to dirt and corrosion in your multi-function switch module on the left side of the handlebars. Remove and thoroughly clean the switches in it with contact or brake cleaner spray. Those problems should be gone and you can then focus on whatever's left.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.