weak spark then no spark - Yamaha Raptor Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
wckdkl0wn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 27
weak spark then no spark

I went out today to run my 03 raptor. After a while of trying to start it i couldn't get it to start. Flooding, backfiring, etc. Figured I would change the spark plug since it was probably loaded because of the flooding. checked for spark while I was at it. It was getting a very very weak spark. And would only spark after it cranked over like 10 times. Put new plug on and now have no spark. Tried to put old plug back on to see if it was the new plug. No spark now at all. Read somewhere about unplugging the rectifier and trying to crank it. Still nothing. What is wrong? Is it the stator? Ignition coil? Ecu?


*edit Btw it can't be the ignition switch because I have bypassed it completely

Last edited by wckdkl0wn; 02-09-2010 at 10:05 PM.
wckdkl0wn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 11:31 PM
I am unique

 
willykiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 22,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by wckdkl0wn View Post
I went out today to run my 03 raptor. After a while of trying to start it i couldn't get it to start. Flooding, backfiring, etc. Figured I would change the spark plug since it was probably loaded because of the flooding. checked for spark while I was at it. It was getting a very very weak spark. And would only spark after it cranked over like 10 times. Put new plug on and now have no spark. Tried to put old plug back on to see if it was the new plug. No spark now at all. Read somewhere about unplugging the rectifier and trying to crank it. Still nothing. What is wrong? Is it the stator? Ignition coil? Ecu?


*edit Btw it can't be the ignition switch because I have bypassed it completely

Here we go again with the phanthom stator, I want you to read this post and see what you think...............

https://www.raptorforum.com/forums/sh....php?t=39381If it acts like what happened to me, I am sure it is your stator, whether you unplug the regulator or not...........


686 three plugger with HV porting, 39 FCRS, Curtis Sparks exhaust, Dyna FS CDI

Last edited by willykiller; 02-09-2010 at 11:33 PM.
willykiller is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
wckdkl0wn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 27
I was thinking it was the stator because I just replaced the 1 way bearing. So naturally it would go after I put everything back together. Now will have to get a new gasket. Last time I took the bike out it had a hard time starting. Come to think of it I have always had a hard time starting the bike cold. Pull the bike and start it that way no problems. Then when its warm it would start on electric start no problem.


What is the general purpose of the stator?
wckdkl0wn is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Member
 
jareddd96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 48
this happened to me and i replaced the pulsar coil and that worked for me

'07 Raptor 350
K&N Air filter
Comp Series Black Nerfbars
DG Chrome Front Bumper
AC Wide Grab Bar Silver
Front and rear lowering Kit
yz250 direct shifter
jareddd96 is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 07:11 PM
I am unique

 
willykiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 22,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by wckdkl0wn View Post
I was thinking it was the stator because I just replaced the 1 way bearing. So naturally it would go after I put everything back together. Now will have to get a new gasket. Last time I took the bike out it had a hard time starting. Come to think of it I have always had a hard time starting the bike cold. Pull the bike and start it that way no problems. Then when its warm it would start on electric start no problem.


What is the general purpose of the stator?
In that case if it always starts hard when the engine is cold, check your valve lash first, if the valve lash is tight, the bike will start hard or not at all.............


686 three plugger with HV porting, 39 FCRS, Curtis Sparks exhaust, Dyna FS CDI
willykiller is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
wckdkl0wn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by willykiller View Post
In that case if it always starts hard when the engine is cold, check your valve lash first, if the valve lash is tight, the bike will start hard or not at all.............
Will that stop me from getting spark?
wckdkl0wn is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 09:08 PM
VIP

 
blueranger660's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bowling Green KY
Posts: 2,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by jareddd96 View Post
this happened to me and i replaced the pulsar coil and that worked for me
Isn't the pulsar coil part of the stator assembly on bikes like the Raptor?

2004 660 Dinosaur retired to the drag strip
2007 YFZ Woods Bike and ATV Rodeo
blueranger660 is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 09:17 PM
I am unique

 
willykiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 22,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by wckdkl0wn View Post
Will that stop me from getting spark?
No this has nothing to do with spark, just a suggestion since you said it was harder to start cold then hot............


686 three plugger with HV porting, 39 FCRS, Curtis Sparks exhaust, Dyna FS CDI
willykiller is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 11:49 PM
Master of the Electron

 
QuadManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,409
I have seen a few occurances of this or similar issue here in the forum lately - partial or full loss of spark, shortly after one-way replacement.

I can suggest two possible causes (based simply on educated conjecture - I have no direct experience with this issue) IF there is correlation between the one-way replacement and lost spark - 1) scraping the stator across the flywheel during reassembly; damaging the windings so they either immediately or eventually short, or 2) mis-alignment of the stator wires where they exit the case, pinching wires together and as the insulation slowly flows , a short occurs. (a pinched wire often won't lose its insulation completey - the plastic often cold flows over time, eventually leaving bare copper. A pinched pair can often take significant time before they short together)

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo

Last edited by QuadManiac; 02-11-2010 at 11:56 PM.
QuadManiac is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 08:04 AM
VIP

 
blueranger660's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bowling Green KY
Posts: 2,246
I concur you conjecture.

2004 660 Dinosaur retired to the drag strip
2007 YFZ Woods Bike and ATV Rodeo
blueranger660 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
weak spark need ohm readings MrIgor Raptor 350 Discussion 0 11-11-2010 08:40 PM
weak spark no start Beamer69 Raptor 660 Maintenance 35 04-28-2010 03:24 PM
01 raptor starts up for a few then wont start again, then somehow lost spark rocketonwheels Raptor 660 Maintenance 26 11-28-2009 10:41 PM
Very weak spark raptor banshee Raptor 350 Discussion 2 02-26-2009 08:54 AM
Weak spark " help" lowram Raptor 660 Maintenance 7 02-25-2008 09:12 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome