2001 Raptor 660 popping through carb, not running right - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

2001 Raptor 660 popping through carb, not running right

I have a 2001 Raptor 660 popping through the carb, and its like coughing when you go to hit the throttle and it will either stall out or rev up, but it coughs before doing either one. about two weeks ago I cleaned the carb TWICE thinking that would solve it but it was spotless and I am where i started off. The quad can still ride around, but it stalls on the decel, and locks up almost like im in too high a gear but im not, and it coughs when giving it throttle. It still has tons of power and is very fast, but it hessitates to accelerate and take off. At first it lead me to believe that it was a lack of fuel but im starting to think it could be a timing issue? any thoughts? I dont really want to take it all apart as im not sure that i could put it back together properly. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 10:54 PM
Master of the Electron

Have you done any mods to it without re-jetting to match?

Did you THOROUGHLY clean the pilot jet passages?

It could be off a tooth on cam timing... inspection will be necessary to determine this. Looking at the valves and the timing marks on the flywheel to see if TDC co-incides is a start.

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 05:50 AM
I am unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborn View Post
I have a 2001 Raptor 660 popping through the carb, and its like coughing when you go to hit the throttle and it will either stall out or rev up, but it coughs before doing either one. about two weeks ago I cleaned the carb TWICE thinking that would solve it but it was spotless and I am where i started off. The quad can still ride around, but it stalls on the decel, and locks up almost like im in too high a gear but im not, and it coughs when giving it throttle. It still has tons of power and is very fast, but it hessitates to accelerate and take off. At first it lead me to believe that it was a lack of fuel but im starting to think it could be a timing issue? any thoughts? I dont really want to take it all apart as im not sure that i could put it back together properly. Thanks!
So you cleaned the carbs twice and still have the identical problem as before........
Have you done any mods to this bike and what is your current jetting............

686 three plugger with HV porting, 39 FCRS, Curtis Sparks exhaust, Dyna FS CDI

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Since i've bought it there has been nothing done to mod it, I'm not sure if anything has been done to it other than a slip on exhaust, other than that it looks to be stock to me. I'm not sure how you would tell what my current jetting is, could you explain?
In reply to cleaning out the pilot jet passes- I cleaned squirted them with carb cleaned, then i blew them out with an air gun and they were crystal clear.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 06:24 PM
I am unique

Quote:
Since i've bought it there has been nothing done to mod it, I'm not sure if anything has been done to it other than a slip on exhaust, other than that it looks to be stock to me. I'm not sure how you would tell what my current jetting is, could you explain?
In reply to cleaning out the pilot jet passes- I cleaned squirted them with carb cleaned, then i blew them out with an air gun and they were crystal clear.
All the jets have numbers on them. The stock pilot is a 22.5. You should use a 25. Mains could be any where from low 140s to 165. All numbers are marked numerically.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, what do you think that chances are this is the problem if the jets are still 22.5?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 06:50 PM
I am unique

Quote:
Thank you, what do you think that chances are this is the problem if the jets are still 22.5?
I would install the 25s. One more thing that I see go wrong is the emulsifier tubes being installed upside down.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

And how would this cause the popping through the carb?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 06:57 PM
I am unique

Quote:
And how would this cause the popping through the carb?
Insufficient fuel delivery.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

thank you. i will take a look! i appreciate your help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode