Raptor Forum banner

Get riding boots!

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Skylar360 
#1 ·
Get riding boots!
I wanted to share this story that just happened over the weekend and I wish I heard it before going riding with my buddy. Riding boots are very important on ATVs. Helmets are your number 1 but your number 2 is proper boots. I didn't realize how important they actually are until after this weekend. So my buddy and I were out riding around on state trails in the middle of nowhere. Things were going great. I bought some riding boots prior and this was the second time using them I didn't really care for them at first but got used to them by the second day. He was wearing just plain ol work boots. Last day and last ride he was following me and I swerved around a puddle. He swerved but didn't make it between the puddle and this mound of dirt on the side. He flipped up into the air fell off and rolled when he hit the ground then the atv came down on top of him and crushed his leg. He broke his fibula and it tore all of the tendons in his right leg. He needs surgy and is stuck with two metal plates for life. Now riding boots may not have prevented the break but with full riding boots, I think the situation and injury wouldn't be nearly as bad. I have done some research since and found that this kind of injury is actually very common for rider without riding boots. So glad I got mine and it's scary that something like that can happen in an instant. I just wanted to share this story because I used to ride in old skater shoes and this could have very well been me. I wish we would have come across this and known about the dangers of not wearing the proper riding boots. They are not just to look cool and keep you from water and mud they are actually protective and should always be worn. Lessoned learned.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry to hear of the situation your buddy came across, hate hearing this type of stuff. It is crazy how many people ride these machines with NO gear. We were out in our small sandbox over memorial wknd, the amount of no gear on people was terrible. ATGALT theory with us, All The Gear All The Time.

Speedy recovery and have him get back on the beast!

Reactions: Yamil Xiscatti
#3 ·
Yessir. Been there. I now have what i call my "dirtbike ankle" I have worn riding boots every time since then...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.