Body Armor/Protection Reviews ? - Page 2 - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 11:02 AM
Lifetime VIP

Looks like the debadged version on ebay...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...item2a086c2975

EVERYBODY WANG CHUNG TONIGHT

Last edited by THIS SPACE FOR RENT; 08-27-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 03:23 PM
Lifetime VIP

Send a message via AIM to grover
I have the 661 pro setup but rarely wear it cause its freaking hot. I generaly just rock the chest protector and has back protection also.

Fat people are hard to kidnap.

COLA Crew BBQ Recovery Technician
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 03:51 PM

Thats a serious looking set of gear. You will have to let us know how you like it Seg after a few rides. I hope your friend heals up quickly and gets back to normal. bad deal

02' 660, Renthals, Armidillo skids, K&N, Chopped Front Fenders, AC front bumper, DG rear,

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

LMFAO ! IT does look like that E-gay setup ! Kid's pimpin !

I'm very happy with it. Took a couple rides to get used to, but it seems leaps and bounds more protection/comfort than the other options I was looking at.

Reasons I bought this one:

-Fit: Fit was a bit small. I ended up buying an XL. I'm only like 5'10/185. The Large fit fine, but felt a bit tight for me (probably how they're supposed to be, but if it was uncomfortable I'd not end up wearing it). So if you plan on ordering one online, I recommend tryin one on locally if possible.

And a big plus in my book- it zips up the front middle. Some connected down the side with velcro, which I didn't really like much.

-Protection: The front chest plate is hard, unlike many other options. The spine protection is full coverage, and the built in kidney belt is a great touch. Shoulders and elbows and fore-arms have hard plates as well, and it's all padded behind the hard plates.

-Comfort: As I said above, the every hard piece is padded (pads also vented) so you don't notice the plates much. The mesh part breathes really well and didn't have me sweating in 80+ degree heat much more than if I were to just wear a jersey. The hard plastic part has venting as well in the front, so that helps too.

I like the feel of it enough to wear with just an undershirt, and nothing over the top. Doesn't chafe around the neck or anything. I was able to stretch my jersey over it, but I think I'll be buying a larger (non fox slim-fit) jersey to put over it in the future to make it a bit easier. After a couple rides I barely noticed I had it on.

Quality: Everything seems to be very well made, not cheap at all. There's a lot of adjustments on this setup to make it fit real well for you. I feel this will last me quite a few years (until I'm too fat and need a bigger one ) and I'm very happy overall with the purchase.

The ONE bad thing I've found about this so far - The hard shoulderpads. When I try to turn my head to look behind me, it limits my range of motion. When I turn my head, the mouth piece of my helmet hits the shoulderpad and can't turn any further. Not a huge deal, and doesn't make me regret my purchase at all.

Price: Well it was a bit pricey at $140, but when compared to the other products on the market for around $120, the extra $20 was a no brainer after trying some on and seeing them in person. Had I bought online, I probably would have gone cheaper, and I'm very happy I didn't do that. $20 more is nominal at that point and WELL worth it. This was the first one I tried on - then I went to other shops to try some others, nothing compared (though I would have like to try on a Thor Impact Rig - didn't get the chance)

*** A nice bonus: the Fox Titan Sport Jacket comes with an extra set of straps. Took me a while to realize just why ? The extra straps connect to the spine protection ! It's removable, and you can wear just the spine protection (zips&snaps right off ). This is an awesome feature, as I don't know that I could fit some of my cold weather gear under the Fox piece, but I can easily strap the Spine protection on over anything. This will be nice for riding with a hoodie and thicker coat. Also, for those times you don't wanna look like the guy all geared up, but still afford you some protection. THey don't mention this at all in the description, but I wish they did - it would have been a great selling point and made my choice a lot easier.

I generally wear a backpack w/ a CamelBack bladder in it. I wore that almost the whole time I was riding, and it worked just fine, the armor didn't get in the way at all like I thought it might. If anything, it actually felt better as the armor took some of the pounding my back usually does with a full backpack on.

Anyway, that's my review for y'all. Hope it was helpful and informative. Any other questions I didn't cover ? Let me know, I'll try to respond asap.

Ride safe guys

Get on my level Brother
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 07:22 PM

Glad to hear it's working well. My Thor suit is also working awesome. Hit the dirt a few times with it on, and bounced right up without incident. It isn't hot at all either, but I do always wear a light shirt underneath.

'06 Raptor 700R, white, GYTR intake/muffler, FI2000R, YFZ450 front shocks, Armadillo swing-arm plate, GYTR bumper
'70 Plymouth Duster, drag car, 408, street legal
'05 Dodge Ram 2500 CUMMINS! Auto, Smarty, exhaust, hidden stuff....
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 08:23 PM
If it's too loud your too old

I have the Thor Impact Rig, and I really like it. I use it in conjunction with a EVS RC Evo neck brace, seems to be a great combo http://www.thormx.com/product.jsp?pa...230,3251,11852
http://www.evs-sports.com/product/ne...ection/rc-evo/
Seg I think you would have liked the Impact Rig too I got the short sleave version for down here just because it's so f--kin' hot I wear Under Armor under it and my jersey over it sometimes. The spine protection is removable on it too!

Last edited by Fl. Woods Raptor; 09-24-2010 at 08:38 PM.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

I was definately hoping to get a chance to try on the Thor Impact Rig, but no one had one locally in stock when I was looking Looks like a real nice setup though for sure !

Get on my level Brother
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 09:09 PM
Lifetime VIP

I just picked up the Fox Titan today, first ride tomorrow, I bought the X Large, I'm 220 6', it seemed snug but i assume that is to hold the arm pads in place. I never would have thought I would wear this much protective gear, but the stories I hear and the way people ride on our local trails, better safe than sorry.

09 Raptor 700 (his) & 10 Raptor 700 (hers)
DMC duals
PCV
Houser pro bounce nerfs
Houser +2 LT arms
Fox evol front shocks
Houser +1 stem
Flexx bars
G-force axle
ASR levers
Fox podium rear shocks
Precision dampner
Blingstar rotor&caliper guard
Blingstar maltese bumper
PRM grab bar
ITP baja wheels
Quadtech seat
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 06:28 AM
Lifetime VIP

Have to say I was pleased with the Fox Titan suit, it was really comfortable, forgot I had it on, it was about 50 out when we rode, and it did get a little warm with a t-shirt under it, and a jersey over it, so I can see it being a little warm when the temps get back up, have to wait and see on that, but I give it a thumbs up.

09 Raptor 700 (his) & 10 Raptor 700 (hers)
DMC duals
PCV
Houser pro bounce nerfs
Houser +2 LT arms
Fox evol front shocks
Houser +1 stem
Flexx bars
G-force axle
ASR levers
Fox podium rear shocks
Precision dampner
Blingstar rotor&caliper guard
Blingstar maltese bumper
PRM grab bar
ITP baja wheels
Quadtech seat
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 11:03 PM

I like the idea of the Thor Impact being able to use an EVS neckbrace as the EVS is the most affordable neck brace. I've been looking for MONTHS for a full body suit and looked at everything from the rock gaurden to 661, fox, thor, pretty much everything. all have positives AND negatives I actually hour or so ago came to the conclusion I wanted a nitro circus chest protector since I could run it with a neck protector, but don't like the lack of spine protector (as I jacked my back in like march) and now came across this after even selling my raptor a couple months ago but like it here since it's one of the most helpful forums I'm a member of and get to see this thor piece that looks like it can be worn as under armor and use a neck protector

can I wear it UNDER my jersey and still use a EVS neck protector Fl. woods?

I am down to that as one of my final choices I DEFINITELY want a spine protector AND neck brace if possible.. and price is one of the main factors

07 ltr450 nicely modded

05 660 sold 10-10

04 Lt80 sold 2-19-11

88 trx250r sold 9-10

kasea 90 custom w/trx250r frame and front half

92 LT250R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode