Yamaha Raptor Forum

Yamaha Raptor Forum (https://www.raptorforum.com/forums/)
-   Riding Gear (https://www.raptorforum.com/forums/67-riding-gear/)
-   -   Body Armor/Protection Reviews ? (https://www.raptorforum.com/forums/67-riding-gear/73520-body-armor-protection-reviews.html)

SegKast 08-25-2010 02:31 PM

Body Armor/Protection Reviews ?

So I have a friend who was riding down in Winchester Bay this week and broke her back yesterday. She was going down a steep trail with roots/big dropoffs and such. She got bucked off her bike over the handlebars, and the quad proceeded to endo over on top of her. It landed on her back and bent her literally in half backwards. Final result was a compression fracture to her spine, but no spinal cord damage luckily. She's hurting real bad right now, but can move her legs etc... She's 17 and they expect her to make a full recovery, though she'll be in a brace for the next few months.

Anyhow... I've been looking at them for years, but needless to say when it's someone you know that gets hurt - it kinda hits home. So I'm going to be buying some upper body protection (something more than a roost guard)

Does anyone have any reviews/experience with any of the more protective gear like the 661 pressure suit/Fox Flight Suit/Thor Impact Rig, or anything of the kind they'd be willing to share? I'm looking to buy something today or tomorrow before I head down to Winchester and was looking for some input (pros/cons) from you guys before I buy something.

Thanks ahead of time, I appreciate your input :beer:

carpenter 08-25-2010 02:42 PM

Man that sucks bigtime! I have never worn anything more than a helmet so I cant help ya there but I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say that I hope she gets well soon and doesnt get scared off from riding. Where did it happen out in winchester? I know the area well! It wasnt that shute to the left of banshee hill was it? That's a knarly one for sure. Did she have to get life flighted?

SegKast 08-25-2010 02:48 PM

I've never worn more than a helmet/boots/roost guard either, but I gotta say, this opened my eyes a bit.

No, they didn't have to lift her, but I think (I'm still at home, so haven't heard EVERYTHING yet) they might have brought her out in one of those medic rails. It was to the right of Banshee, one of those 'trials' that are newer. She thought it was one she'd gone up earlier, but turned out not to be the case. I don't know if it'll scare her off or not, her whole family rides (luckily her youger brothers were in Hawaii, so they didn't have to witness it). They went to the hospital in Reedsport yesterday, and they're headed down to Coos today to get some more specialized help I guess.

THanks for the kind words :beer:

carpenter 08-25-2010 02:59 PM

Man That's a bummer! Yeah those trails right around banshee hill are knarly and full of switchbacks and super steep with deep ass sand! NOT for novice riders at all! Well good luck with everything I'm off to go for a ride up at jonescreek right now :)

BeePee 08-25-2010 06:35 PM

I always use http://www.knox-armour.co.uk/product...uct=crossshirt
on "every" day out. Even holds the belly in place :D

SegKast 08-25-2010 06:53 PM

That's a real nice lookin setup right there. Never heard of that company before, I wonder if we can even get them here in the states ?

Thanks for the input :beer:

BeePee 08-25-2010 07:00 PM

Most if not all our Motorcycle clothing, road bike leathers etc have some sort of Knox body armour in them, they're a leading company here in the UK

SegKast 08-25-2010 07:06 PM

Yeah, I was cruising around the website a bit, looks like quality gear for sure. Might have to dig through the motorcycle stuff at the Yami shop and take a look :thumbsup:

gump 08-26-2010 05:55 PM

I just got a Thor Impact Rig SE. It's frickin' awesome. Breathes great, fits good, lots of protection. Don't even notice it's there honestly.

I can't get the link to work on here, but check it out.

SegKast 08-26-2010 06:17 PM

I was in a bit of a hurry to get this before my trip (leaving today), so my options were pretty limited between the local shops. I was hoping to try on that Thor Impact rig, but didn't get the opportunity unfotunately.

The only couple available for me to try on were the 661 and the Fox Titan Sport Jacket. The 661 felt more comfortable right off the bat, but didn't offer the protection of the Fox unit. Also, the largest one they had in stock was too small for me for the 661, even though it was a bit more comfortable, even being a size small for me.

I ended up buying the Fox Titan as a result, and I'm pretty happy with it. Once I got it adjusted right for me, it's actually not too bad as far as comfort. It's uber protective, and and bulky, but I think I'll get used to that with time. It seems pretty well ventilated and the back piece detaches and has extra straps so you can wear just the spine protection if you like. It was a bit pricey at $140, but that's about what I was prepared to spend. I think even if the 661 would have fit properly, I would've opted for the Fox as it's got so much to it, and it was only $20 more.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...t/10050BK1.jpg