Raptor Forum banner

Proper Break in procedures

27K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  DEZPERADO 
#1 ·
#12 ·
What about breakin with new jetting? Say, you just rebuilt your bike, have a general idea of the jetting, so you throw that in, start the bike for the first time, let it idle, then go take it out and you have a bog somewhere..... keep running it with the bog to break it in, then fix/adjust? Or cut the motor and adjust jetting...? Get it running well then break in.... ?

#14 ·
Really, Ive never thought about it like that.. It makes 100% sense to me.
After a rebuilt i allways let it warm up and cool off compleatly, do that one more time than run the s*** out of it..

#15 ·
so what do yall think? run the hell out of it or easy break in? Also my questioin what if im building a bike from the ground up and i havent jetted my carb yet? I have to properly jet it or it will run like crap. Wouldnt that mess up the method that he described?

#16 ·
Yeah I'm confused on this myself I am in the middle of my build. New clutch,big bore,kibblewhite valve springs, and a stage 2 cam. With a full DMC exhaust. I have done my research I have a good idea on the jetting. But my question is this the break in for the cam is different from the break in for the rest of the engine so how would u properly break that in??? Thanks guys

#19 ·
Get the engine to operating temperature and then drive it the way you should, I wouldnt hold it full throttle for the first couple of top speed runs for more then a few seconds though............

#22 ·
I have been working on bikes for more than 10 years now and he is absolutly correct and to answer your question (foot) the same gos for street as in dirt or (track as he said it in the post) The only real difference is when your dyno breaking it in. I've almost specialized i two stroke bike and quads.This has been my break in process for years and none of my projects have breaken during this process and all of my customers are running hard and strong. An old engine builder taught me that a long time ago,I was building drag race cars.He asked to to look and see if the top feul drag guys were breaking in there motors before there next run. Hellllllll no, they put that sucker together in a matter of 1 1\2 hours, push it ot the line and run the wheels off that puppy. After that, I always broke it in by running it like i stole it. With some caution of course.

#24 ·
I know this is an older post, but I have a question about the build/break in process. When you all are putting the top end together do u lube the cylinder, piston side and rings with engine oil. I had a local motorcycle engine builder say DEF NOT. he said after cleaning and right before assembly he uses a clean rag and wipes the cylinder with WD40.

So I understand this post you are saying I should:
1. Warm the engine up (how long for 2006 Raptor 350)
2. After warm up ride it hard
a. Run through 2nd 3rd and 4th with some power
b. Let off the gas in different gears and let the engine slow the bike down
c. Repeat #2 for at least an hour.
3. Change oil after break in ride.

Is that correct?

#25 ·
After honing, wash the cylinder with Dawn soap and water and a good brush till a white paper towel wipes clean. Dry with a heat gun or hair drier. Wipe the cylinder with oil used for the motor. WD40 may not be compatible with all oils. Lube the rod at the crank, wrist pin, rings and piston with the same oil. Some builders think a dry cylinder and rings will seat faster, but I don't like that idea. Start the new motor and check for leaks and shut down ASAP. Let cool down and re-torque the head bolts and check other mounts, cases, etc. Next time it's fired up, be ready to ride aggressively, but don't lug it. Follow the link on the first post of this thread, I've done it for years with 2 and 4 stroke motors. AKA, ride it like you stole it. I always recommend a magnetic drain plug.

#27 ·
Like the owner or police are chasing you down a trail. Accelerate in the straights, slow down for the corners. Break in is pretty much done in 15 - 20 min of run time. That's run time, not ride time. Like on a dyno or in a race car.

#28 ·
That makes more since now. Lol. I'm just messing with ya!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.