Updated 7/23/07 ..Ok, need some advice, I need to get over this.....fast! - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Updated 7/23/07 ..Ok, need some advice, I need to get over this.....fast!

So here it is.

First off I canít get enough of this site and all the info and all the interacting that goes on. No other site like it!

Here is my problem.

A few months back I rolled my rappi about 20 feet down a hill. The bike is fine, a few scrapes here and there but other wise all good. I am fine as well, a few scrapes and scratches but I am healed now.

I have been riding every weekend since then and feeling pretty good.

Now here is what I need to get over.

I am feeling a little gun shy about going up some hills. I will start going up some hills and stop. I have been trying to go up some not long hills but I canít shake the feeling about rolling down the hill.

I have pushed myself and done it just fine but when I see a hill that is a little bit to steep I freeze up.

I am hoping that some of you may have felt something similar and found a way to get over it.

Not about to give up the rappi as I love riding a lot.

I will probably get flamed on this, but hey, a little tough love right?

UPDATE 7/16/07

Alright, here is an update after everyoneís advice and input.

I went ridding near were I rolled my quad. After about an hour of ridding the trails I decided it was time to put everyoneís word of encouragement to work.

I started off on some easy hills, no problem. I then decided to hit some steeper hills. At first the old feelings of hesitation started up but after a few moments I decided screw it, itís all or nothing.

I got on some pretty steep hills and some long hills and made it up with no problems. I did this for about 2 hours going up and down different hills. I was not able to hit the hill that I rolled down as they had gated off that area.

I still had some of the same feelings but its like you guys said, I just did it, had some more confidence, and tried to focus.

Thanks to all of you for your advice and words of encouragement. I said it before and I will say it again, this is an awesome site. This is a great community to be apart of.

Next weekend, more hills!

New update 7/23/07

This is the last update on this subject as I feel that I am doing a lot better, thanks to everyone here.

This weekend I went ridding with a group of friends here in Lake Elsinore. There were 5 of us out there and we had a great time.

For what ever reason I ended up being the leader of this little expedition.

Long story short, we hit some pretty big hills, some that I have previously been a little scared to try and had no problems. I did stall one time on a particularly steep hill, but I didnít panic and hung on, hit the breaks, started her back up and continued on.

I feel like I have gotten a lot of my confidence back. Now I am not over confident as I know I still have some work to do but I feel a lot better and more in control.

I also had one of the best rides through some canyons I have ever had.

I want to thank all of you as you guys made a big difference with your advice and encouragement.

Again, this site rocks.

Letís ride!!!!!

2006 700R SE / Yellow<br />ProTaper handle bars<br />ProArmor Ners<br />Stock for now<br /><br />Crash and burn baby!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 10:55 AM

Re: Ok, need some advice, I need to get over this.....fast!

Okay, my strategy for going up hills that should be left up to billy goats is this: stop thinking and haul a$$ up. As long as I am going up and aware of any obstacles I am good. It also make sense to have an escape route in case you need to turn around on account of you not being able to make it.

Pro Design Intake<br />K&amp;N Air Filter<br />Dobeck <br />FMF Power Bomb Header<br />FMF Power Core 4 muffler
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 10:58 AM

Go dune riding. You will go up and down hills that normally would make you freak. Not to mention riding the top of a big dune.

2006 Blue Raptor 700R w/ Full HMF System &amp; Carbon Shield, Pro Design/K&amp;N Intake, PCIII, ProTaper Bars, Steering Stabilizer, Spyder Grips, ITP SandStars In Front, Skat Trak 21/12/8 Extremes&nbsp;In Back, ITP T-9 Wheels<br />2005 Kawai Brute Force 750i 4x4, Warn 3.0<br />Kids: 2007 Pink Polaris Predator 90

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 11:02 AM

Ive rolled mine more than anybody i kno and i kno wat ur sayin about bein gun shy but jus hit it and dont think about it then after a few successful climbs u will be fine
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 11:06 AM

I kinda went thru the same thing when I started riding my KX this year with some "A" calss enduro riders. The first enduro track we went to was sandy and had 2 dificult hill climbs with some technical turns at the top. I struggled severly the first 3 or 4 laps around until I realized that I needed to focus on riding and not the what if's like crashing. It is a dirt machine and it is gonna get some scrapes. I found that every instance that I had trouble was when I was aprehensive or hesitated. Simple fix to my problem = look, adjust, commit and do! You need to trust your self, it really is that easy.
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 11:12 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to socalrappy700

I took my bad roll back in march and I broke two ribs even with a chest protector. And the two rides after I had the same gun shy problem. The only thing I can say is that it gets better, after a few trips and slowly working my way up to taking some big hills (up and down) I started feeling better. You'll be fine...just give it time and take it at YOUR pace.
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEARHEAD9969
I kinda went thru the same thing when I started riding my KX this year with some "A" calss enduro riders. The first enduro track we went to was sandy and had 2 dificult hill climbs with some technical turns at the top. I struggled severly the first 3 or 4 laps around until I realized that I needed to focus on riding and not the what if's like crashing. It is a dirt machine and it is gonna get some scrapes. I found that every instance that I had trouble was when I was aprehensive or hesitated. Simple fix to my problem = look, adjust, commit and do! You need to trust your self, it really is that easy.
+ 1

Pro Design Intake<br />K&amp;N Air Filter<br />Dobeck <br />FMF Power Bomb Header<br />FMF Power Core 4 muffler
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 11:13 AM

Only thing you can do to get over it is do it. Had the same problem when I started riding the trails for the first time since my wreck last year. Those sneeky trees still make me nervous, which is probably a good thing, thats why I crashed. Got to comfortable on the trail and was concentrating enough.
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 11:16 AM

yea if your nervous, well scared then you shouldnt be doing it. your bound to f up when you not 100% surew of yourself. youll get the confidence bace eventually.
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsan
Okay, my strategy for going up hills that should be left up to billy goats is this: stop thinking and haul a$$ up. As long as I am going up and aware of any obstacles I am good. It also make sense to have an escape route in case you need to turn around on account of you not being able to make it.
Thanks for your advice Dsan, I will continue to try as I have no intentions of giving up.

I will keep an eye out for those darn billy goats. I think they had something to do with my roll.

2006 700R SE / Yellow<br />ProTaper handle bars<br />ProArmor Ners<br />Stock for now<br /><br />Crash and burn baby!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode