Looking to buy a Raptor and i need some advice/opinions! - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Smile Looking to buy a Raptor and i need some advice/opinions!

Hi there, Kev here from Ireland!
Im gonna be looking at a nice 700r raptor before the end of the week and I was wondering if some forum members could give opinions.
This is the one i'l be looking at;
http://www.donedeal.ie/quads-for-sal...or-700/6570502
so its a 2008 model and advertised for the equivalent of $5000
+'s;
dual exhausts
nerfbars
flexx bars
few other nice bits
looks to be in decent condition

-'s;
no headlights
no taillight
not a big fan of the graphics
possibly raced??
Price??

What do people think of this.....it seems to be in okay condition. Obviously if bought id have to source lights and maybe a few other small bits...
Do people think the asking is too high for that year?... with a bit of haggling I reckon I could get the price down a bit
I wouldn't be that knowledgable on raptors themselves but id have a good idea what to look out for on pre-inspection.

Any advice is much appreciated. If all goes well then hopefully i'l be coming home with it this week

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 05:27 PM

In my opinion that's a bit high on price. But I'm going off of what bikes are priced like by my state. Graphics can come off so that's not a big deal, with there being no headlights or a taillight I could only assume it has been raced which if it was taken care that's not a big deal. Might need a too end soon which could get pricey but it all depends. Pull the dipstick and see how the oil looks. Always good to run the vin number to make sure it wasn't stolen or totaled. Look over the frame really well for cracks or big dents
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks !
The chap who's selling it is a dealer with a really good rep. Have bought from him a few years back and everything was good back then so I'd be willing to give the benefit of the doubt there although il still do my checks

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 05:46 PM

I think the price (based on prices here in the states) is about $1500 too high. It appears to me it has been rode pretty hard. Check all pivot points for wear look for signs of heavy use. Excessive rub marks on engine cases and boot marks on the plastic. Listen for engine noises. The 700 is actually a pretty quiet engine so you shouldn't hear a lot of valve train noises. Also look around and see how the price compares to others for sale in your economy

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 08:32 PM
Lifetime VIP

Depends what they normally sell for in Ireland really. Here where I live it is 1500 USD to high.
I don't necessarily agree that it looks like it was ridden hard. It appears to be in pretty good shape to me. The graphics and poor job of recovering the seat make it look older or more worn than it is.
As far as your race question... I would say no, not likely. It does not look like a race setup to me.
It looks like a quad you would commonly see on this forum. Something that someone put some money into and was proud of it.
The aftermarket parts that are on it were selected well. They are high quality parts.
Looks like a keeper if you settle on a price!

Price Bargaining points for you:
--it has no lights
--rear tires are new or newish but are a poor choice for the bike....they will wear out before you can say Braaaaaaap!
--tell him the aftermarket stuff may be worth something to someone but you would prefer it if it was stock. (dealers can't argue that and he won't know you actually like it)
--tell him the graphics are ugly and he will think your not emotionally attached to it and might be willing to walk away. (the graphics are not that bad but if you don't like them they do come off)

2008 700R

7 MOD = Barker Duals~ProDesign w/billet & Foam~MSD Blaster~Head Ported Lucky Style~Hotcam Stage 3~CP Tech Piston 11.5:1~Cuervo +3 TB

Other Goodies = DriveLine Perf Clutch~Precision Stabilizer~15T F Sprocket~PRM Grab Bar~Blingstar Bumper~Full Skid Protection~Tusk Nerfs~Alba Heal Guards~Powermadd Hand Guards~RK Race Chain~Custom Dual Arm Shifter~TT Vapor.

Last edited by First700R; 03-10-2014 at 08:38 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Prices stateside are a good bit cheaper than over here I'm afraid. Completely stock models don't go for a whole lot less on average...maybe 3-400 but not much more. I don't think I'd have to spend a whole lot of cash getting it in tiptop shape....
Lights
Restitch Webb on nerfs
Service
And maybe a seat

The modded parts on this example are really grabbing my attention. Il go have a look at it anyway and give it a thorough inspection
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 08:55 PM
Lifetime VIP

I agree you could have it pretty sweet for not a lot.
I hope it works out for you.
If you do get it (or another one) stick around here and get to know us. We would be happy to have you here and we love helping with questions and problems!

2008 700R

7 MOD = Barker Duals~ProDesign w/billet & Foam~MSD Blaster~Head Ported Lucky Style~Hotcam Stage 3~CP Tech Piston 11.5:1~Cuervo +3 TB

Other Goodies = DriveLine Perf Clutch~Precision Stabilizer~15T F Sprocket~PRM Grab Bar~Blingstar Bumper~Full Skid Protection~Tusk Nerfs~Alba Heal Guards~Powermadd Hand Guards~RK Race Chain~Custom Dual Arm Shifter~TT Vapor.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks very much for the input and points for bargaining
The site is excellent...we'll laid out and seems a very friendly place
Il give an update with whatever happens with a sale before the week is out
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 05:05 AM
Lifetime VIP

We will look forward to hearing.

2008 700R

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 04:53 PM
Lifetime VIP

Am I the only one reading Kevin's posts with an Irish accent. Lol.

Good luck with buy.

>Fast flex bars>Rox Antivibe>Pillow Soft Grips>A/C Front Bumper>PRM 6 Pack Rack>GYTR Nerfs >GYTR skids>Barker Duals>ARP Headstuds>CP 11.5:1 Tech Piston>FCI>PCV/Ignition/Autotune>DL700's Timing Curve>Stage 4 elkas triple rate LT>+2 houser LT>Speed sensor hack>15 T front sprocket>Clutch Plate Mod&HD springs>Cuervo +1 ported head>+3 TB>DL's 5050 cam>Elka Stage 4 Dual rate rear>+3 Swinger>Alba +4 axle>72.9 hp & 61.5 [email protected] front sprocket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode