Is Motorcraft 5w-20 ok for my 2016 700R SE? - Page 2 - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Edition View Post
Thanks everyone!

So this is what I got from you and from my research:

- Look for something that is JASO-MA certified.
- It has to be for wet clutch applications.
- Stay away from anything that states better fuel economy (energy certified is a no-no).

Anything else I should be looking for? can I even find automotive oil with these specs? does that have to do with anything related to fully synthetic oils? because I want something that will last me longer without worrying about it too much.

I probably won't find what you guys are recommending (like Shell Rotella), that's why I want to know the basics so I can look for something that meets my rappy's needs.
I see people showing oils with the word Diesel printed on it. Is oil for diesel engines what I should be looking for? I know nothing about diesel engines but asking around about that is better than asking for a motorcycle oil since it is not widely available around here.

Finally what viscosity do you recommend for me? as I mentioned before I only ride when it's about 5-30C (that's 32-86F for all you americans ).

I'm in the UK and have been using Motul 300V 10w 40 but switching to Maxima ATV oil 10w 40 as its great value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 04:12 AM

Hi

I have a raptor 350 and I use yamalube 10w40 working well.. before that I try to use a other oil that maybe wasnt fit and my clutch was slipped

Now I replace Clutch plates and spring and new oil: YamaLube 10w40
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

So I visited the dealer today to see what kind of oil they recommend, and turns out even they don't use Yamalube or anything that was designed for motorcycles!!

They use "Shell Super Plus 20W-50" and mind you it's the official and only dealer in the country:

High resolution image if anyone wants to take a better look:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/22b7a9zzjw...1901.jpg?raw=1

Looks like it was made locally and in case you want specific information check here:
http://www.shell.sa/en_sa/lubricants...motor-oil.html

If they use this then I guess it works without issues since they've been using it for years? should I go with this same oil too?

Also here's another oil I wanted to show to you "Shell Helix HX7 10W-40":

High res:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ha25no8vbw...1954.jpg?raw=1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q8zqixtljc...2000.jpg?raw=1

This one says JASO SG+, not sure if it's related to JASO MA?

I need some expert help please. Im very lost.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphrider View Post
This stuff is cheap enough and what I will be switching to in my fleet.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Hey morphrider, some help please? Are you saying I should use oil for diesel engines instead of gasoline?
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 04:17 PM
POTW Moderator

Garage
Not sure what you are asking, but... Rotella T4 is widely used in many motorcycle forums as the go to oil. Cheap, very good oil. Most gasoline oil is NOT wet clutch compatible or meets JASO standards for our bikes. Rotella T4 meets all of these specs. It used to be called Rotella T, now this.

I wouldn't put stuff in my bike without a very thorough research. If you ask my wife about anal retentiveness she will show you my picture, lol.

[U]2006 raptor 700

DMC Force 4's, FCI W/box, Dynatek Fusion
CP 11:1 piston, BaMotorsports porting, HC3
RacersEdge +3TB
YFZ 450 fronts & reworked rear by JOGACA
Trailtech 1 1/8 xbar w/vapor dash & Vapor installed
ODI Rogue grips & ASV pro pack levers
PRM Edge Baja bumper w/12" Cree spot/flood bar
PRM Desert grab bar
PRM A-Arm skids, GYTR skid, ProArmor swinger skid
Fastway steering stabilizer
68HP 49TQ

PM me if you need service manuals
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 04:33 PM
POTW Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Edition View Post
So I visited the dealer today to see what kind of oil they recommend, and turns out even they don't use Yamalube or anything that was designed for motorcycles!!

They use "Shell Super Plus 20W-50" and mind you it's the official and only dealer in the country:

High resolution image if anyone wants to take a better look:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/22b7a9zzjw...1901.jpg?raw=1

Looks like it was made locally and in case you want specific information check here:
http://www.shell.sa/en_sa/lubricants...motor-oil.html

If they use this then I guess it works without issues since they've been using it for years? should I go with this same oil too?

Also here's another oil I wanted to show to you "Shell Helix HX7 10W-40":

High res:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ha25no8vbw...1954.jpg?raw=1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q8zqixtljc...2000.jpg?raw=1

This one says JASO SG+, not sure if it's related to JASO MA?

I need some expert help please. Im very lost.
Very tough call...

I researched what SG+ was, with no avail. Why can't you get T4? It's a shell product. Plus if you say it's the only dealer in the country, then BAM...get it.

If a dealer stands behind either of those other products and will 100% repair any damage incurred from an inferior product, in writing, then go for it.

[U]2006 raptor 700

DMC Force 4's, FCI W/box, Dynatek Fusion
CP 11:1 piston, BaMotorsports porting, HC3
RacersEdge +3TB
YFZ 450 fronts & reworked rear by JOGACA
Trailtech 1 1/8 xbar w/vapor dash & Vapor installed
ODI Rogue grips & ASV pro pack levers
PRM Edge Baja bumper w/12" Cree spot/flood bar
PRM Desert grab bar
PRM A-Arm skids, GYTR skid, ProArmor swinger skid
Fastway steering stabilizer
68HP 49TQ

PM me if you need service manuals
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 05:37 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
Your dealer may be wrong, I didn't see it labeled JASO. You MUST use a oil that is JASO rated. SG and MA are only the latest upgrade to the JASO rating. As long as it is labeled JASO, don't worry about any other nomenclatures. Car and truck oil don't always have the same requirements. Some will be compatible, some won't. Most car oils are NOT JASO, so you will find that most diesel oils are JASO. That's what you need for a wet clutch, car or diesel, it doesn't matter as long as it's JASO. Can I say it again, JASO, lol.
morphrider likes this.

2007 RAPTOR 700, SAND QUAD, 11:1 CP, +5 HR CRANK, PC3, +2 TB, LONE STAR XC +1, +1 A-ARMS, HD TIE RODS, JOGACA REAR SHOCK, ASV LEVERS, +4 REAR AXLE, DR.D REVERSE, ODI GRIPS, 1 1/8 CARBON BARS, DG BUMPER. BILLET: GAS CAP, BRAKE COVER, THROTTLE LEVER, BAR MOUNTS. LED LIGHTS'
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

@morphrider
I didn't find the same oil you mentioned "Rotella T4", all I found was Rotella but not sure what exactly it is. It could be TX but I didn't pay much attention to it because I was looking for T4. It's close to this one (the large can second from the right):

I was looking for T4 as you suggested but I couldn't find it. I only found the one I showed you above. We don't have that many diesel cars around here except large trucks mostly, so maybe this is why we don't have a large selection like yours.

@DEZPERADO
I honestly don't trust some dealers around here whether it was something related to a car or a motorcycle (almost anything with an engine). I still don't trust anything they say even if they were official and deal with warranty and manufacturer requirements. I think this applies to pretty much all over the world, not just here lol all they want is your wallet. That's why im hesitant to use Shell Super Plus as they suggested.

The blue one Shell Helix HX7 has JASO SG+ so maybe I should go with this one if JASO is all that matters? Ok what about 10W-40 is that good for me?

Last edited by Black Edition; 10-22-2017 at 02:50 AM.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

My manual says the following:

I guess I missed it when I was looking at it before.

I found someone locally on youtube using Shell Helix HX7 that has JASO SG+. It's not JASO MA but I guess it's the second best oil available around here for our use.

Also after some more googling I found a local distributor that has a specific oil for motorcycles/ATVs. The company's called Liqui Moly (maybe it is more known to the people in the EU, especially Germany? since it's made there).
It's 10W-40 with a JASO-MA2 standard (so even better than MA/MA1 ). The sales guy will be contacting me soon with the details. I have a feeling it'll be very expensive, but we'll see.
https://products.liqui-moly.com/2-wh...ct-media-modal

Last edited by Black Edition; 10-22-2017 at 04:54 AM.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 05:17 AM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
What about the Rotella TX, is that labeled as JASO? I assume it's hot over there, so you may want a 20W-40 or 20W-50. What weight oil do you use in your cars?

2007 RAPTOR 700, SAND QUAD, 11:1 CP, +5 HR CRANK, PC3, +2 TB, LONE STAR XC +1, +1 A-ARMS, HD TIE RODS, JOGACA REAR SHOCK, ASV LEVERS, +4 REAR AXLE, DR.D REVERSE, ODI GRIPS, 1 1/8 CARBON BARS, DG BUMPER. BILLET: GAS CAP, BRAKE COVER, THROTTLE LEVER, BAR MOUNTS. LED LIGHTS'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode