PLZ READ Info on Ethanol E85, E98, E100 - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

This is my personal experience on running E100 ethanol in the Raptors.

**Disclaimer: I am not a professional, i don't know everything, this is just my personal experience and honest opinions.

Background Info: 2013 Raptor 700 and 2015 Raptor 700R with 14:1 diamond piston, Hot Cam 3, +3 TB, Monster exhaust/intake, PCV

Ran both bikes on VP110 for about a year now, ran very well and had 0 problems. Dyno tuned right at 69.53 hp (sea level corrected).

**Ethanol Disclaimer: You NEED a bigger injector, but you do not need fuel pump, fuel lines, etc... Ethanol IS NOT TOXIC, and it is not water! I am from Iowa where ethanol is readily available.

Stock injector is a 12 hole 425cc injector. I switched to a direct replacement Denso 12 hole 850cc injector. Running a stock NGK8E spark plug.

Tuning for E100 ethanol in the PCV with Auto tune is confusing but let me explain... Ethanol likes to be run rich, ethanol needs to be rich because ethanol is 34.8% oxygenated, which means when combusted 34.8% of the fuel you just injected becomes pure oxygen in the combustion chamber. Therefore you need ATLEAST 35% more fuel to make up for the oxygen, but 35% oxygen in the combustion chamber makes your a/f ratio leaner which means you need even more fuel to compensate for that (if you want to make maximum power). So auto tune O2 sensor reads lambda, 1 lambda = stoichiometric and converts it to a gas based a/f scale where 14.7 is stoichiometric (emission safe). Now when you are burning E100 ethanol, 9.05 a/f and 1 lambda is stoichiometric. So when you are burning ethanol and the auto tune reads a lambda value of 1 and gives you a a/f ratio of 14.7 on gas scale, you are actually running 9.05 a/f ethanol ratio. For maximum power on ethanol you are going to want betweeen 6.8-7.8 ethanol a/f ratio which converts to gas scale at 11.0-12.75. Therefore in the power commander I am running my auto tune a/f ratio at 11.5. Going from a 425cc injector to 850cc injector i assumed my fuel map would actually show negative or close to 0 numbers because the injector has so much more flow. However after auto tuning my fuel map with E100 and 850cc injector, my new fuel map is almost the same as what it was to my dyno fuel map on VP110 race fuel.
Mad Dog and mcclelland32 like this.

Last edited by B-B123; 02-26-2019 at 10:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Cold Starting: E85 doesn’t have cold starting problems. However E100 when sitting cold in a heated shop at 50* F they will start on there own, but it takes about 20-30 seconds of cranking before they fire up. So the solution is Diethyl Ether Starting Fluid for the first start of the day, lift up the seat, 1 quick spray right on the filter and it will start right away. Once running they will sit and idle perfectly. Once running even for only 5 seconds they will start right back up instantly, actually better than they did with VP110.

Running Cold: They take longer to warm up, about 5 minutes. They run very cool when riding, the exhaust will actually feel cool against your hand.

Power: We all know fire needs oxygen, this goes back to the tuning of ethanol, it is 35% oxygen!! More oxygen, more power! Why do turbos/superchargers make power? By compressing the air and therefore putting more oxygen in the combustion chamber. What is nitrous oxide? OXYGEN! So yes the power gain is noticeable! Sadly I don't have a dyno to verify exact back to back power gain. Feels like 4 horsepower and 3 ft lb of torque.

Timing: Ethanol can handle a farther advanced timing due to the high octane rating, however timing is best adjusting based off a dyno reading horsepower. Just inspecting the spark plug and trying to read it and adjust timing is really good enough.
mcclelland32 likes this.

Last edited by B-B123; 02-26-2019 at 10:22 PM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Compression: Ethanol has plenty of octane for any compression ratio you can run. Pump fuel E85 is approximately 108 octane, but 15% race fuel and 85% ethanol is 112 octane. E98/E100 ethanol is 118 octane.

Cost: I did not do this for the sole purpose of “saving money”. I did this for an experiment. VP110 costed me $10.50 gal and was a 50-mile drive to get it. Ethanol plant is 5 miles from my farm, Pump E85= $1.59 gal and E98/E100= $1.29 gal.

Honest Opinion: It’s AWESOME. If you have been wondering about trying it, DO IT. You will not be disappointed! I did a lot of research and a lot of trial and error to come up with this post for all of you to learn from. I will update this forum as I come up with more solutions/conclusions. If you have any questions please DM me or reply to this post, I would be happy to help and share more info with anyone interested in converting to E85, E98, or E100.

Post a reply with your questions, comments, opinions, and feelings!
mcclelland32 and ian77 like this.

Last edited by B-B123; 02-26-2019 at 10:25 PM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-B123 View Post
Compression: Ethanol has plenty of octane for any compression ratio you can run.

Cost: I did not do this for the sole purpose of “saving money”. I did this for an experiment. VP110 costed me $10.50 gal and was a 50-mile drive to get it. Ethanol plant is 5 miles from my farm, Pump E85= $1.59 gal and E98/E100= $1.29 gal.

Honest Opinion: It’s AWESOME. If you have been wondering about trying it, DO IT. You will not be disappointed! I did a lot of research and a lot of trial and error to come up with this post for all of you to learn from. I will update this forum as I come up with more solutions/conclusions. If you have any questions please DM me or reply to this post, I would be happy to help and share more info with anyone interested in converting to E85, E98, or E100.

Post a reply with your questions, comments, opinions, and feelings!
Damn, that sounds awesome!

Thanks for the info.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 12:48 AM

Good read. Thanks. I've been wondering about doing this in my old dinosaur.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Joagaca suspension,gytr frame skid,yfz calipers,powermadd hand guards,prodesign shifter,fasst flexx bars,rox risers,t.m. design chain guide,+2 lonestar swinger,billet dash,x-rex rears, klaw xc fronts,ebay bumper,prodesign case saver,primary drive sprockets and chain, all balls wheel bearings,+2+1 lonestar a-arms,+2 g force axle,vitos jet kit,ac pro peg nerf,amradillo swinger skid,sparks exhaust,prodesign intake,foam filter,outterwear,no lid

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 07:54 AM

Garage
Good info for those who have option to buy it.

2016 Raptor 700R, Street legal, HID kit, 15T front, AIS delete, Jogaca suspension, Adjustable rear link, LSR 2+1 A-Arms, Axcalibar axle, PC5 w/timing and autotune, full Dasa exhaust, Talon 36T rear or stock 38T
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 08:18 AM

Great info here! Just built a 795 running on E85. Heading to Fuel Customs this morning for some dyno tuning. Have you experimented on timing with E85? Now that is the part that confuses me. I see some guys advancing timing and some retarding timing... So I'm like WTF. Will see today what makes more power.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

As far as timing goes Ethanol can take a lot more timing advance. However the ignition timing in the Power Commander will sometimes show false results, which really sucks. As far as I know it isn't a problem on the 2015+ bikes. So my recommendation is to 0 the timing and make your fuel map a/f for max horsepower, then try advancing the timing, if it makes less power then retard the timing. So the only way to correctly do it is to adjust timing for max hp, sometimes it will show negatives, sometimes it will show positives. I don't think I would advance or retard anywhere past 12... I was told only do 5-8 but I have ran 10 before on race fuel.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 07:50 PM

Thanks for the writeup, very informative. I would like to try e85, especially since i have the MSD blaster i could have a map for both e85 and pump gas, then just switch the map on the MSD dial, and swap injectors anytime i wanted. Im just worried that i would have to fill up every 45 minutes. How much more fuel would you say it uses compared to 91 octane pump gas?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

07' Raptor 700- 11:1, hotcam 3, Pro design intake with K&N, +3 throttle body, Monster big bore duals, MSD with cuervo timing, JOGACA shocks, trail tech VAPOR, GYTR heel guards & bumper & nerfs, .250 aluminum skids, TM case saver, folding anodized levers and shifter, powermadd hand guards

04' raptor 660-Hot rods crank, .5mm overbore, 11:1 wiseco piston, Stage 1 hotcam, Yoshimura slip-on exhaust, K&N filter with outerwears, open lid airbox, Dynojet stage 2 jet kit
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Well when I ran 110 race fuel a full day at the dunes I would go through a fuel tank, however i have not been able to go to the dunes since switching so I can't really say that I burn 1.5 tanks or 2 tanks in a day. But looking at the fuel maps and injector flow rates I would say that on E100 I am burning right at 90% more, but I am running richer than you would on E85, I am guessing you would burn probably 60-70% more on the E85. But it definitely would work to switch back and forth, changing injectors is really simple. But I am positive that once you switch to E85 and get it tuned, you will never switch back, you will feel the power difference and I think you'll be amazed. I guess I figure if I have to start on a full tank in the morming and then fill up once during the day that the fuel consumption isn't really a big deal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in