700 Non-Start - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

700 Non-Start

Hey Guys & Girls,

Can anyone help me out, a friend of mine has just bought a 700 Raptor. He bought it cheap as it needed some work doing to it and has not long had it back from a dealership who have done loads of work to it.

Problem is after 2 rides it now doesn't start. He has brought it over to me to have a look and from the blink code it states there is a fault with the crank sensor. I've turned the engine over by hand and nothing locks up so I turned it over on the switch and to me it sounds like the timing is out.

I have taken both the crank inspection hole off and the cam cover off and it seems to be well out of line. I currently don't have workshop data to confirm my suspicion that the timing mark on the cam should line up with the dimple on the top of the head (pointed out int the pic).

Question 1 - Is the "dimple" the timing mark?
Question 2 - Is it common for the timing to jump on these engines?
Question 3 - Does anyone else agree that the timing is out?

Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated!!!

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190518_105719.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	132779   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190518_105752.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	132781  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 06:32 AM
POTW Moderator

Garage
Rotate it slowly to TDC aligning the mark on top and check that small hole again. If I recall there will be 2 hash marks and a single on the small hole, make sure you are reading the right one. Another way to ensure you are TDC is to remove the spark plug, put a straw or the like in there and slowly crank over by hand until you can confirm the piston is at its peak, then report results.

Welcome to the forum!

[U]2006 raptor 700

DMC Force 4's, FCI W/box, Dynatek Fusion
CP 11:1 piston, BaMotorsports porting, HC3
RacersEdge +3TB
YFZ 450 fronts & reworked rear by JOGACA
Trailtech 1 1/8 xbar w/vapor dash & Vapor installed
ODI Rogue grips & ASV pro pack levers
PRM Edge Baja bumper w/12" Cree spot/flood bar
PRM Desert grab bar
PRM A-Arm skids, GYTR skid, ProArmor swinger skid
Fastway steering stabilizer
68HP 49TQ

PM me if you need service manuals
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply and the warm welcome.

I have done as you said and set it at TDC via the piston and the cam timing mark now lines up however, it's nowhere near a timing mark on the flywheel. I have turned it over a good few times now and the only marks I can see are the H and the I but nothing else.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 09:32 AM
POTW Moderator

Garage
I find it hard to believe it skipped timing but you can remove the timing chain from the cam, rotate the crank to correct position, get at TDC on the cam and put the chain back on and try starting it.

[U]2006 raptor 700

RacersEdge +3TB
PRM Desert grab bar
68HP 49TQ

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 11:00 AM

The camchain gear on the crankshaft can spin and throw off the timing

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
c.biscuit likes this.

07' Raptor 700- 11:1, hotcam 3, Pro design intake with K&N, +3 throttle body, Monster big bore duals, MSD with cuervo timing, JOGACA shocks, trail tech VAPOR, GYTR heel guards & bumper & nerfs, .250 aluminum skids, TM case saver, folding anodized levers and shifter, powermadd hand guards

04' raptor 660-Hot rods crank, .5mm overbore, 11:1 wiseco piston, Stage 1 hotcam, Yoshimura slip-on exhaust, K&N filter with outerwears, open lid airbox, Dynojet stage 2 jet kit
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 11:07 AM
POTW Moderator

Garage
Can you post pics of the teeth on those? Does he know if timing chain/gears were replaced? What did this dealership do to the bike?

[U]2006 raptor 700

RacersEdge +3TB
PRM Desert grab bar
68HP 49TQ

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

I haven't got the side cases off yet, I will post pictures as soon as I strip it.

I was just going through an online parts catalogue trying to see what is separate to the shaft. Looking at the pictures the gear comes as part of the shaft and the flywheel is keyed to it.

It just seems a bit weird to me how when the engine is at actual TDC (set via spark plug hole) the camshaft is bang on the timing mark, but the crank mark is nowhere to be seen. I'm wondering if someone forgot to put the woodruff key in...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 01:32 PM

The woodruff key is for the flywheel. The camchain gear is just a press fit on the crankshaft, thats why it can sometimes spin and throw everything off. Especially in high hp motors

07' Raptor 700- 11:1, hotcam 3, Pro design intake with K&N, +3 throttle body, Monster big bore duals, MSD with cuervo timing, JOGACA shocks, trail tech VAPOR, GYTR heel guards & bumper & nerfs, .250 aluminum skids, TM case saver, folding anodized levers and shifter, powermadd hand guards

04' raptor 660-Hot rods crank, .5mm overbore, 11:1 wiseco piston, Stage 1 hotcam, Yoshimura slip-on exhaust, K&N filter with outerwears, open lid airbox, Dynojet stage 2 jet kit
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I spotted that in the parts diagram.

If it done that though the cam and crank would have been misaligned when I checked it by setting tdc by feeling the piston travel.

I will investigate further tomorrow once I've finished putting the engine on my motorbike back together.

What's everyone's bet on what I find when I remove the covers?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 06:04 PM

I think i get what your saying. You believe the valve timing is actually correct, because you know the piston is at tdc, and your cam mark lines up. However no markings on the flywheel in sight. In that case id say your right, the flywheel either sheared the key, or someone just didnt put one in there... keep us posted

morphrider and c.biscuit like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode