First Time Quad Owner - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Question First Time Quad Owner

Hi everyone,

A little background on me, I am a 22 year old female. I weigh about 215 pounds and I am 5'3 (yes, I know I am overweight). I grew up mainly riding dirt bikes but have not done so for several years. I am now looking into getting my very first Quad and am having trouble deciding on what type of sport quad to get. The area I live in is "Honda Country", everyone swears by a Honda and many have said that I should purchase the Honda TRX250x for my first quad. I am a little skeptical about purchasing a 250 and wanted some opinions from others.

I have been doing some research on the current Sports Quads on the Market and so far this is what I have found.

I have compared the Yamaha yfz450r vs. the Raptor 700 and like the fact that the raptor is a little less wide than the 450 (making it easier to maneuver in tighter trails) and that is has reverse. My concern is that I may easily tire of the Honda TRX250x if i were to purchase and want to sell it and move on to something with more power in a couple of years. Also the ground clearance of the 250's concern me a little compared to the 450 & 700.

I have also looked at the Can Am Renegades and like that they have the 4 wheel drive option and that sets them apart from other sports quads on the markets. But, they are pricey and I have read that Can Ams are expensive to work on.

[B]So, in short may I have opinions on what I should get for my first quad? I have read and read many forums about the raptors, yfz 450's, and some on the TRX250x but can't really decide on whether or not I should go with less power for my first quad? Some people even say that purchasing a raptor as my first quad would be too much. But, growing up I was always told that a bike or a quad will only go as fast as you make it..

So please can someone give me opinions on what may be the best option for me?

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:20 PM

Welcome to the forum

I think the 250 4 stroke will get boring pretty quickly for most adults. In my opinion for someone one that already knows how to operate the clutch, shift, front and rear brake setup (you said you rode dirtbikes) i think a raptor 350, or 400ex, or z400, something like that is a good first quad. 450s are just plain fast as you know what, and raptor 700 has enough torque to get you in trouble fishtailing or accidental wheelies

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
morphrider and tajavu like this.

07' Raptor 700- 11:1, hotcam 3, Pro design intake with K&N, +3 throttle body, Monster big bore duals, MSD with cuervo timing, JOGACA shocks, trail tech VAPOR, GYTR heel guards & bumper & nerfs, .250 aluminum skids, TM case saver, folding anodized levers and shifter, powermadd hand guards

04' raptor 660-Hot rods crank, .5mm overbore, 11:1 wiseco piston, Stage 1 hotcam, Yoshimura slip-on exhaust, K&N filter with outerwears, open lid airbox, Dynojet stage 2 jet kit
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your input! I was really looking for something that is currently sold as new on the floor because of the warranty that comes with it. But, I will look into the raptor 350's. I did see a couple of used LTZ400's that caught my eye but don't know enough about Suzuki's reliability.

Yes, I do know the basics of operating the clutch, braking, etc... so I am going with your opinion that the 250 will probably be boring after awhile for me. I want something that I can have for a long time and have fun on.

As for looking into the raptor 350's what year would you say is the best model of the 350?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 07:51 AM

I had a 2006 LTZ years ago and loved it. No issues and plenty of performance parts are available. If you ride in the mud mainly, I would look at the Can Am. The Raptor is a good do it all quad, except for deep mud.
tajavu likes this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 07:52 AM
POTW Moderator

Garage
Welcome to the forum,

We have a 350 in our stable and it does well. I would look at getting the newest you can find in good shape if going used for them, (have to since there are nothing new). They have been around for years, used to be labeled as the warrior in the atv line up, so they have a solid history. Do not get the 250, they are too small of a machine. I started that route with my wife and daughter and upgraded quickly for them. we then got a 700 as my wifes first "real" atv and she does great on it, but then again she doesnt ride it hard at all.

What kind of terrain will you be mainly riding in?

[U]2006 raptor 700

DMC Force 4's, FCI W/box, Dynatek Fusion
CP 11:1 piston, BaMotorsports porting, HC3
RacersEdge +3TB
YFZ 450 fronts & reworked rear by JOGACA
Trailtech 1 1/8 xbar w/vapor dash & Vapor installed
ODI Rogue grips & ASV pro pack levers
PRM Edge Baja bumper w/12" Cree spot/flood bar
PRM Desert grab bar
PRM A-Arm skids, GYTR skid, ProArmor swinger skid
Fastway steering stabilizer
68HP 49TQ

PM me if you need service manuals
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 418Stroker View Post
I had a 2006 LTZ years ago and loved it. No issues and plenty of performance parts are available. If you ride in the mud mainly, I would look at the Can Am. The Raptor is a good do it all quad, except for deep mud.
Hi, thanks for your input. I will not be looking to ride in mud holes but I know sometimes it is unavoidable on certain trails.I know that one of the worst things you could do to a quad is to submerge it in a mud/water hole. But, I would like something that can handle mud and not get stuck in the deeper ruts that utility ATV's love to make.

The Can Am's are nice but they can be super pricy and I have heard that working on them is NOT cheap at all.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphrider View Post
Welcome to the forum,

We have a 350 in our stable and it does well. I would look at getting the newest you can find in good shape if going used for them, (have to since there are nothing new). They have been around for years, used to be labeled as the warrior in the atv line up, so they have a solid history. Do not get the 250, they are too small of a machine. I started that route with my wife and daughter and upgraded quickly for them. we then got a 700 as my wifes first "real" atv and she does great on it, but then again she doesnt ride it hard at all.

What kind of terrain will you be mainly riding in?
Morphrider, I live in the North Carolina and will mainly be riding in state and probably once in a while going to the surrounding states for some trails. So, I would say we have trails with a lot of roots and hills in our area. Most of the ATV trails close to where I live are fairly wide, have a fair amount of hills, and can be a little rocky with roots.

In your opinion do you think the 700 would be too much for me to pick up for a first quad? I know you said you made the mistake of going smaller with your wife and daughter and I am agreeing with you that I dont think the 250 would be enough for me. In my original post I made the comment that I was taught a bike or quad will only go as fast as you make it but I worry if the 700 will give me any trouble if I don't keep it high in the rpms constantly while trail riding that I will be stalling more than riding haha. Do you by chance know the last year the raptor 350 was made? I will start doing some research into them and see if I can find anything in my area in good condition. I worry about buying used because so many people will sell you junk and sometimes it can be hard to tell what you are getting. I dont want to buy a money pit and end up having to constantly work on the quad when I have it for the 1st month or so.

Also, I would like to in theory stick with something I can purchase new so that I have a warranty for a while. But, unfortunately there are not many options when it comes to buying a new sports quad.

Last edited by tajavu; 06-11-2019 at 10:00 AM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:47 AM
POTW Moderator

Garage
The 700 will NOT need high RPM's to ride any trails. My wife rides really slow and loves the rocky terrain, so there are the low RPM's at work. These machines are fantastic on a trail. If you look at them on any youtube video, yes everyone wants to work them hard, wring the power and speed out of them, and they are very very capable of doing so. But honestly, even just putzing around on them such as what my wife & daughter do they are just fine, especially in stock form.
tajavu likes this.

[U]2006 raptor 700

DMC Force 4's, FCI W/box, Dynatek Fusion
CP 11:1 piston, BaMotorsports porting, HC3
RacersEdge +3TB
YFZ 450 fronts & reworked rear by JOGACA
Trailtech 1 1/8 xbar w/vapor dash & Vapor installed
ODI Rogue grips & ASV pro pack levers
PRM Edge Baja bumper w/12" Cree spot/flood bar
PRM Desert grab bar
PRM A-Arm skids, GYTR skid, ProArmor swinger skid
Fastway steering stabilizer
68HP 49TQ

PM me if you need service manuals
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Ok, that makes me feel a lot better about considering the 700 for my first quad. I didn't want to be struggling more than riding. Thanks Morphrider for your input. I guess if I want something new then the 700 may be my best option on the market.
morphrider likes this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:52 PM

Garage
I feel that with the experience you have you could comfortably ride a 700. I actually recently purchased a Raptor 350 for my family to enjoy and it is nice for the wife and son but I could personally go bigger. As you said the power is really up to you and in the lower gears I don't think the low RPMs will be a problem at all. Good luck with the purchase, I hope you get something you enjoy!!
tajavu likes this.

2005 Raptor 350
Pro Circuit T-4 Slip On
Jetted
Moose Racing Air Filter
AC Racing Nerfs
DG A-Arm Guards
ICON Forged Racing Piston

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode