Cylinder works cylinder and vertex piston kit - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Cylinder works cylinder and vertex piston kit

Hi guys,Iím up in Cape Breton Nova Scotia,Canada. Have limitations to getting shop work done so I recently bought a cylinder works standard Bore cylinder and matched vertex piston kit, I did the installation myself as it looked pretty straight forward, I also replaced timing chain and timing sprocket,followed the installation and watched a few videos, got it all together and if fired up no problem but soon as it warms up a little itís started ideling up and down then dies, I tested tps and itís good , my 07 raptor 700 has intake kit and a exhaust and a simple fuel control from fmf , an older one I think made by dobeck that u use buttons and lights to set up, just had it at the settings that it came with and worked fine before rebuilding, anyone got any ideas for me, was I suppose to gap rings or hone cylinder, it was suppose to be matched and wasnít in instructions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hi guys,I’m up in Cape Breton Nova Scotia,Canada. Have limitations to getting shop work done so I recently bought a cylinder works standard Bore cylinder and matched vertex piston kit, I did the installation myself as it looked pretty straight forward, I also replaced timing chain and timing sprocket,followed the installation and watched a few videos, got it all together and if fired up no problem but soon as it warms up a little it’s started ideling up and down then dies, I tested tps and it’s good , my 07 raptor 700 has intake kit and a exhaust and a simple fuel control from fmf , an older one I think made by dobeck that u use buttons and lights to set up, just had it at the settings that it came with and worked fine before rebuilding, anyone got any ideas for me, was I suppose to gap rings or hone cylinder, it was suppose to be matched and wasn’t in instructions
I "believe" the matched kits from cylinder works are bolt on and do not have to be ring gapped. If the tps is good, it is sounding like an air leak. Does it sound right when it does run, no odd sounds or any? Does it start back up after it dies?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Yeah it’s starting right back up no problem, sounds really good, it seems to me that it starts dropping rpm right after the auto cold start kicks off , starts fine immediately and will keep starting but it just starts pulsing low and back to normal in like one second intervals , I will triple check the couplers on both sides of throttle body, I did notice the small air hose on what that I think is air intake sensor had a broken nipple on the air box side , I epoxied the nipple back on and re attached the hose , it seemed to hold and it still had flow ,I’ll keep looking just was worried I may have did something wrong, I don’t think the base gasket is leaking but I didn’t like the look of the comedic gasket that came with the set, the Yamaha ones have a silicone bead along the thin spots of base of cylinder , would a leak there cause my problem or would it be constant not just after warned up.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 11:54 AM

Always check ring gaps, never assume it is good to go. I always check piston clearance too, especially if you purchase a mass sell kit that is for sale like on eBay.. Too tight of a ring gap will damage the cylinder and piston.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:09 PM

Wouldn't think the base gasket would cause that
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

I think I will pull it apart and double check, I need to get at least a few months out of this cylinder, it seems to run a lot hotter than usual and my idle screw does nothing, both issues I’m sure are related to sucking air from somewhere, and I didn’t deglaze the cylinder witch is something I over looked as not being necessary, I’m an idiot but I guess everyone gotta learn by their mistakes, I was way too horney to hit the beach with it, oh well, thanks guys , I’m really impressed with this forum group, whoever is responsible for it ...nice work, I will upgrade my membership soon.
morphrider likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 04:48 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
Deglaze the cylinder, wash with "Dawn" soap and water and wipe the bore with paper towels till the bore is clean, then dry cylinder with a hair dryer or heat gun.

You should get new rings, you'll never get them back in the original position, then check the gap on them.

Always use a factory head gasket! Be sure your head isn't warped, a common problem, and machine as needed.

Check the TB rubber intake boot for cracking or defects. Don't overtighten the clamps.
Be sure you're adjusting the correct screw on the TB, most people turn the wrong one.

Be sure to bleed the coolant from the water pump and head as well as oil from the head.

When warmed up, look in the top of radiator for turbulence.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.
morphrider likes this.

2007 RAPTOR 700, SAND QUAD, 11:1 CP, +5 HR CRANK, PC3, +2 TB, LONE STAR XC +1, +1 A-ARMS, HD TIE RODS, JOGACA REAR SHOCK, ASV LEVERS, +4 REAR AXLE, DR.D REVERSE, ODI GRIPS, 1 1/8 CARBON BARS, DG BUMPER. BILLET: GAS CAP, BRAKE COVER, THROTTLE LEVER, BAR MOUNTS. LED LIGHTS'
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

It’s fuel injection, i have a controller,I tried a few settings but I’m not really familiar with them, it’s an older one by fmf, made by dobeck I believe. I’m gonna tear it down, I took the head off and cylinder looks fine , I wanna be sure everything is ok, hopefully I’ll put it back together an problem solved but I’m doubtful that it’s got anything to do with my current problem, wishing I was living in USA for lots of choice on bike stuff, but canada isn’t that bad . Lol
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 08:01 PM
D13

I don't have anything to add but just wanted to welcome you to the forum!

EhhÖ.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

I actually did wash the cylinder with dawn and warm water then I washed it about 15 times with carb cleaner blowing dry each time with compressed air , i thought I had to use like a brush type hone , is what I already did considered deglazing, I keep cleaning until I couldn’t get and residue on a white rag, then I did it a few more times, I saw a video and the guy used a nylon hone, that’s actually the only thing that I didn’t do, everything else I did , I checked my ring gap by placing the top two rings about 1-1/2” into cylinder using piston to square them before using feeler gage to check gap, I didn’t check piston clearance as I didn’t have proper gauges, it’s probably not the issue but I’m gonna do a redo with Yamaha gaskets anyway, I took throttle body off last night and cleaned it like crazy and didn’t over tighten the rubber boot , I was getting a number 14 code until I ran it for a couple minutes then it went away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode