Cooling system - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Cooling system

Having a problem keeping my 700 cool at idle. You can ride it hard all day and it stays around 176 degrees Fahrenheit. Sitting idle, or putting around it will get really hot. Like 240+ My thermostat is new, my fan kicks on at 220. Do i have a problem? By comparrison my friends 450 can idle all day

07' Raptor 700- 11:1, hotcam 3, Pro design intake with K&N, +3 throttle body, Monster big bore duals, MSD with cuervo timing, JOGACA shocks, trail tech VAPOR, GYTR heel guards & bumper & nerfs, .250 aluminum skids, TM case saver, folding anodized levers and shifter, powermadd hand guards

04' raptor 660-Hot rods crank, .5mm overbore, 11:1 wiseco piston, Stage 1 hotcam, Yoshimura slip-on exhaust, K&N filter with outerwears, open lid airbox, Dynojet stage 2 jet kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 10:24 AM

When the fan comes on at what temp does it turn off on your Raptor? I believe Quervo has a plug and play set up that turns the fan on earlier.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 418Stroker View Post
When the fan comes on at what temp does it turn off on your Raptor? I believe Quervo has a plug and play set up that turns the fan on earlier.
Not sure because if its just sitting idling it doesnt cool back off. And when i ride it and it cools down i cant see or hear when the fan stops. I should also mention that it is mid 90s temp weather here right now

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

07' Raptor 700- 11:1, hotcam 3, Pro design intake with K&N, +3 throttle body, Monster big bore duals, MSD with cuervo timing, JOGACA shocks, trail tech VAPOR, GYTR heel guards & bumper & nerfs, .250 aluminum skids, TM case saver, folding anodized levers and shifter, powermadd hand guards

04' raptor 660-Hot rods crank, .5mm overbore, 11:1 wiseco piston, Stage 1 hotcam, Yoshimura slip-on exhaust, K&N filter with outerwears, open lid airbox, Dynojet stage 2 jet kit

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 02:01 PM

My fan will cool my motor down while sitting still and shutt off and come back on again when the temp rises some. Make sure your fan is operating at full speed, it should pull plenty of air to cool the engine at a dead stop.
4stroker4life likes this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Is there a way to tell if its going full speed? Its kinda hard to see in there without burning my face on a header...

Think it could be something with coolant circulation? Because its just fine when your in the throttle. Water pump gear has no broken teeth or anything though, impeller looks good, spins smooth. My temp light comes on around 240 so i think my temp sensor is ok.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 11:41 AM

You may need to compare it with a buddy’s quad. With the front grill off you should feel air being pulled through the radiator when your hand is about 2” in front of the radiator.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 06:17 AM

What kind of coolant are you running? Regular antifreeze is fine as long as it is 50/50 or less (less coolant to water).

06' 700 SE
-Pro Taper-
-Elka-
-GT Thunder-
-Alba-
-Lonestar-
-Streamline-
-PC5-
-Pro Design-
-HMF-
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorchTarga94 View Post
What kind of coolant are you running? Regular antifreeze is fine as long as it is 50/50 or less (less coolant to water).
Just plain ol autozone green stuff. 50/50 mix. It was suggested to me that i try engine ice, and im ok with that, i just dont want to ignore a problem if there is one

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 05:42 AM

The coolant is not your issue, if you are using 50/50 mix.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 05:57 AM

Garage
is there any dirt or mud in between your radiator fins?
4stroker4life and D13 like this.

06 700 se
+2 Alba A arms
+1 Houser ant-vibe stem
Fasst Flexx bars
Precision Pro stabilizer
long travel yfz shocks redone by Jogca
oem rear shock redone by Jogca
GBC XC-Masters
Big Gun Exo duals
FCI intake w/box
PC5 w/ignition

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode