2006 700R code 12 where to start? - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By AUSSIEREDNECK101
  • 2 Post By D13
  • 1 Post By AnviL Man

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

2006 700R code 12 where to start?

Have not been riding much, stored in garage and will randomly start it up and let it idle and sometimes take it up and down the street just to keep all the juices flowing so to speak. It stalled on me and is showing a code 12. It will not turn over and when I hit the start button the check engine light will flash continuously, otherwise it will just flash a code 12. No clicking or any sound at all. What should I do?

Last edited by AnviL Man; 08-31-2019 at 12:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 12:24 AM

Battery. Charge, or replace if its bad. Check with a multimeter or at your local auto parts store

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

07' Raptor 700- 11:1, hotcam 3, Pro design intake with K&N, +3 throttle body, Monster big bore duals, MSD with cuervo timing, JOGACA shocks, trail tech VAPOR, GYTR heel guards & bumper & nerfs, .250 aluminum skids, TM case saver, folding anodized levers and shifter, powermadd hand guards

04' raptor 660-Hot rods crank, .5mm overbore, 11:1 wiseco piston, Stage 1 hotcam, Yoshimura slip-on exhaust, K&N filter with outerwears, open lid airbox, Dynojet stage 2 jet kit
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Battery will hold a charge, it would normally start it right up no problem, this is something else. It's flashing a code 12, I've watched a few videos saying different things. Not sure what to start with, magneto? Starter relay? I'm not the best with checking things with a multi meter although I do have one. I'm guessing it's a failed part, everything on the bike is original. Any ideas?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 02:34 AM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
Code 12 covers a lot of functions. But, TEST YOUR BATTERY. 12.5 volts is considered 50% discharged. Full charge is 13.6 - 14.2 volts. Trickle/float charge for a few days. Also, test your fuses with a test light or meter.

'19 Can-Am X3, RS Turbo, 172 HP, 1300x15 STU #2 paddle, Tribute front, DynaTec controller, cat delete, GTP blow off valve, custom flame wrap, Bent Metal windshield, Blazer wiper, rear window, 48in LED light bar, 14in LED light bar, GTP LED side lights, S3 shock tower brace, aluminum rear pull plate, 5K Badlands winch, dual batteries, 5ft lighted whips, Rugged radio and intercom, interior lights, rock lights, chase lights, over $200 additional switches, YES, street legal with dirt tires.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 08:34 PM

As others have said check your battery. Then check that none of the wires either side of the starter relay are corroded. I had the same problem with my 700 about a week ago. i started stressing thinking i was going to have to pay up but after cleaning up all my connections i solved the problem. Just clean up all your connections with some sand paper and WD-40, then use a small amount to dialectical grease. Good luck
morphrider likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

The battery is fine, has plenty of voltage to start the bike. I checked the wires on either side of the starter relay and they are not corroded at all. Any idea on what else to try? Could the starter relay itself be bad?

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 01:06 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
It's possible the relay is bad. But before you start changing parts, what is your battery voltage?

'19 Can-Am X3, RS Turbo, 172 HP, 1300x15 STU #2 paddle, Tribute front, DynaTec controller, cat delete, GTP blow off valve, custom flame wrap, Bent Metal windshield, Blazer wiper, rear window, 48in LED light bar, 14in LED light bar, GTP LED side lights, S3 shock tower brace, aluminum rear pull plate, 5K Badlands winch, dual batteries, 5ft lighted whips, Rugged radio and intercom, interior lights, rock lights, chase lights, over $200 additional switches, YES, street legal with dirt tires.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 08:58 PM
D13

I once knew a guy that had a quad with the same problem. He thought his battery was good because it would turn the motor over. He replaced a bunch of stuff to no avail. As a last ditch he REPLACED his battery and it started right up. Just sayin'. If you don't know how to test the voltage with your multimeter then just ask. (you did say you weren't proficient with it) These forum peeps have always been pretty helpful. Good luck!
DEZPERADO and 4stroker4life like this.

Ehh.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys, battery was just under 13 volts I believe. For the hell of it I bought a relay off ebay, it was too cheap of a part to pass up. Under $20, came in mail super fast. Connected to bike, fired right up. I'll take it for a ride tomorrow just to make sure all is good but for now it seems the relay was bad. Thanks for all the help guys!
4stroker4life likes this.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 08:55 PM

I just saw the post. I hade same error code 12, it was a loose wire from the starter relay, BUT, when I hit the start button it make a "TIC" noise, the relay was working fine. So if your relay dont make that "TIC" noise its highly probable the relay its bad. Hope it helps and you can fix it fast and cheap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode