maybe a bad bearing, seal, or the axle is off? - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

maybe a bad bearing, seal, or the axle is off?

So let me start by saying i have very little expertise with atv repairs. I have a 2016 raptor 700 and so far ive gotten by watching videos and reading this thread on my maintenance. Last weekend i swapped the chain and front and rear sprockets. Upon adjusting it and getting it together i took it to test. There was a mild grinding noise and i noticed something wasnt right where the sprocket meets the carrier as i can see a gap as shown in the photo. What would case this? Perhaps i adjusted the chain too far, bad seal, bearing...etc. Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!maybe a bad bearing, seal, or the axle is off?-unnamed.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Cummings View Post
So let me start by saying i have very little expertise with atv repairs. I have a 2016 raptor 700 and so far ive gotten by watching videos and reading this thread on my maintenance. Last weekend i swapped the chain and front and rear sprockets. Upon adjusting it and getting it together i took it to test. There was a mild grinding noise and i noticed something wasnt right where the sprocket meets the carrier as i can see a gap as shown in the photo. What would case this? Perhaps i adjusted the chain too far, bad seal, bearing...etc. Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!Attachment 133557
hard to tell there, it almost looks like the sprocket hub coming loose. loosen an take your chain back off and spin the axle making sure it spins smoothly, try to move axle forward and back to see if it is loose in the carrier. If all good, check your axle nut on the opposite side and check your sprocket hub to see if it is loose.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 02:15 AM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
I would say your axle nut is loose. There should be 2 set screws to loosen, then tighten the axle nut, followed by tightening the set screws. Changing sprockets shouldn't have caused this. Now would be a good time to check the axle bearings.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

'19 Can-Am X3, RS Turbo, 172 HP, 1300x15 STU #2 paddle, Tribute front, DynaTec controller, cat delete, GTP blow off valve, custom flame wrap, Bent Metal windshield, Blazer wiper, rear window, 48in LED light bar, 14in LED light bar, GTP LED side lights, S3 shock tower brace, aluminum rear pull plate, 5K Badlands winch, dual batteries, 5ft lighted whips, Rugged radio and intercom, interior lights, rock lights, chase lights, over $200 additional switches, YES, street legal with dirt tires.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 06:42 AM

Check axle nut first, when my sprocket hub started to get a small amount of play, I tightened the axle nut more and it took the play out. This is something that needs to be checked on a regular basis as part of your maintenance routine.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all very much for the advice! I wasnt even aware of the axle nut so i will be taking off the chain and then making sure the axel is smooth, nut is tight, and check the bearings. Negative of living in the city is my raptor is 2 hours north at the cabin so i shall keep you updated when i make it up there friday. I greatly appreciate the advice and will let you know what happens!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode