Raptor Forum banner

quad security

5K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  Dhunter1231 
#1 ·
ok so the big trip is planned ,my room is reserved i am stressed from all the searching for deals and whatnot on gear and parts.........it suddenly hits me other than my 40s&w how do you keep your quad safe at night ....i love my raptor only my kids and job come before it,hell i even dumped my last girlfriend cause she ate into my free time lol,i will be going to oklahoma and i have never been can you just trailer your quads and go to bed and feel safe they will be there when you awaken?? is there a problem with stolen quads??

#2 ·
I just went to L/S and I think it is prtty safe. I have a couple of cable locks I run through the frame of the quads and the side of the trailer. I know that you can cut these but it is not easy and like you said I have a 40 so if your out there for long I just might hear you.

#3 ·
Insurance and lock and key and then try not to worry about things you can't control, unless you will be sleeping with them.

#4 ·
ya i might go ahead with the insurance that would make me feel a lil better unless some ahole stole my baby on the first night rather than the last lol

#7 ·
#8 ·
I carry a pocket pistol when i stay overnite at tracks b4 a race and back the truck up to a tree/pole, other vehicle so my quad won't get ganked, if the truck moves I feel it cuz i sleep in the cab. It may be overkill to some but I'm not lettin somethin i've put alotta work/$$$/effort into just fall into someone elses hands.

#9 ·
i feel the same way mine doesnt have as much money in it as some but its mine and i wanna keep it that way i will be checkin into the insurance and different ways of securing them .....................also i know it may be a hassle but would it be worth it to pull the wheels off when its time for some shut eye????

#10 ·
If it makes you feel better, but it won't stop them from throwing it in the back of a truck.

#12 ·
I use heavy u locks thought the sprockets on both bikes, with a 30' cable that runs in and out of both bikes/frames and then through the trailer and back to one of the u-locks http://www.onguardlock.com/lockviewer.php?type=ulock&model=5001

Its nice because I can also run gas cans through cable, as well as a bbq or anything else I need to lock up

However, the cable is very easily cut if they wanted to... the u shaped locks I have are 9/16" hardened where most 42" bolt cutters (usually all the bigger most people have) max out at 1/2" http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=8160 so I feel a bit safer with them.....

Also, if you look the u shaped locks I posted above are 2/3rds of an inch thick, so they should work even better...

I have been looking into picking up two of those, and one of these to lock the two bikes together: http://www.onguardlock.com/lockviewer.php?type=chain&model=5016L

The chain is 5/9ths of an inch and that design of chain is suppose to be stronger than the normal rounded chain....

With all that being said, nothing beats insurance...

#14 ·
We where up at little sahara 2 weeks ago. We backed the trailer up by the door to the window of our room. We made friends with some of the nearby riders also, we all looked out for each other.

#15 ·
Gamehen, Little Sahara is purdy laid back and it's not very often a quad is stolen out there. I usually chain all my bikes together and don't worry about it. A chain/cable and a padlock will do the trick. No security at the motels in Waynoka, but a constant 24 hour partying keeps the vandals away. FYI, you can't ride your bike after dark back and forth from the motels to the dunes. That's about the only thing the cops don't tolerate. When you going? About a 90% chance I'll be there, I ride nearly every weekend of March-May.

#18 ·
thats makes me feel a lot better i didnt know what kind of atmosphere and people were there,ill be there in march from the 20th on a fri till the 25th on wed me and my lil bro are goin he has an 06 we cant wait,what type of weather should we expect that time of year??

#16 ·
Here is my police experience with backing the truck up to a poll/wall.... I have taking several reports on stolen quads when people have done this.

It seems that the criminals have learned how to cut the parking brake under your truck, than they hook up their truck and pull your truck away from the wall/poll and just unload your quad onto their truck and drive off.

If your sleeping in the truck this won't be an issue but I just wanted to put this out there so everyone can know that it seems like a good idea but it could possibly turn bad.

Insurance from Geico is only like $200 for the year for me, and I live in New Orleans where insurance is high as giraffe pussy!!

My truck's tail gate locks but I always prepare for the worst. So chains, big pad locks, guns, dogs, alarms, and insurance all get a +1

#21 ·
my friend has some thing on his bike.. some kind of GPS like lojack i guess.. i remember he had a sticker on it "protected by" blah blah i forgot the damn company tho.. im looking into something ASAP as well these things are always stolen..
all u need is a frame with a title and your free and clear

#24 ·
I think you can actually get lojack on them. Thats what I was told by our lojack rep

#26 ·
I used to go to an event called QuadFest in PA. We had this hotel where the parking was at the ground level under the building. It was great, just enough room to get the truck in and pull thru. Locked the machines with multiple cables to both the trail and the building columns. If someone wanted the machine they'd have to do a lot of work and make a lot of noise to get away with them. On top of that full coverage insurance is always a great investment. Can't go wrong with Progressive for $35 a month. A little piece of mind goes a long way for theft or a bad crash. IMO.

#27 ·
1/2 inch grade 70 chain will work, most cheap and middle grade bolt cutters won't cut it, just takes gouges out of the blades. My buddy made a bracket in the back of his truck box, and its a U bracket, we fabricated it, and you put it around the frame and then it goes back under the bed, and is padlocked and chained from the bottem of the truck. He has a really expensive truckers padolock. Nothing will cut it, Even claimed to not be able to be cut with a torch. I don't remember the name, but its like 100 times better than the krypton or kryptonite locks. The lock is around 50.00. A little on the higher side, but is pretty much invincible.

or get 2 steel rims, and park the quads side by side, and weld 2 of the rims together and cut torch holds to get access to the nuts, and bolt them together holding the rappies together safely! lmao, that would actually work, try to find some gorilla lock nuts or something.

Thats sounds gay as hell, but i seen some crazy shit.

thanks
craig
just my 2 cents worth

#28 ·
string with bells around your truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.