Raptor 350 General Information, Tips & Tricks - Page 2 - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphrider View Post
This is great sound advice. I just bought a 350 for the daughter to upgrade to from a 250. I can't believe how clean it is for a 2004.

Welcome to the forum!
Thanks bud. 350s are great general purpose quads and I feel they are great value for the money. Alot of fun and not too hard to work on either. Although I have 15 years in auto mechanics so it may not be fair for me to say that. ALTHOUGH I have seen a case split open for work and i hope to NEVER have to do that. OMG what a mess of gears and funky stuff inside.
morphrider likes this.

Last edited by sharpraptor; 10-29-2015 at 04:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

can a moderator change the title of this thread to 'Raptor 350 General Information, Tips and Tricks'.

I edited the first post title to this but it didnt change when you see this post in the main 350 forum.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 08:04 AM
POTW Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpraptor View Post
can a moderator change the title of this thread to 'Raptor 350 General Information, Tips and Tricks'.

I edited the first post title to this but it didnt change when you see this post in the main 350 forum.
Gotcha covered...carry on!

[U]2006 raptor 700

DMC Force 4's, FCI W/box, Dynatek Fusion
CP 11:1 piston, BaMotorsports porting, HC3
RacersEdge +3TB
YFZ 450 fronts & reworked rear by JOGACA
Trailtech 1 1/8 xbar w/vapor dash & Vapor installed
ODI Rogue grips & ASV pro pack levers
PRM Edge Baja bumper w/12" Cree spot/flood bar
PRM Desert grab bar
PRM A-Arm skids, GYTR skid, ProArmor swinger skid
Fastway steering stabilizer
68HP 49TQ

PM me if you need service manuals

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Raptor 350 Gearing from Yamaha Owners and Service Manual

==================================================

13/38 - Factory Raptor gearing with 13 tooth front sprocket and 38 tooth rear sprocket

12t (tooth) front sprocket (overall smaller gear in size) results in more low end torque, lower top speed and shorter gears (shifting more)

14t (tooth) front sprocket (overall larger gear in size) results in less low end torque, higher top speed and longer gears (shifting less)

15t (tooth) front sprocket requires NEW chain BTW

General Comparison between Front and Rear sprocket tooth
================================================== ======

1 Tooth on the front sprocket equals about 3 Teeth on the rear sprocket
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chain.PNG
Views:	1079
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	104921   Click image for larger version

Name:	gearing.PNG
Views:	1427
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	104929  
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Raptor 350 Headlight/Headlamp Bulb Information from Yamaha Owners and Service Manual

Headlight Bulb Type - Krypton H6
Headlight Bulb Voltage - 12 volt
Headlight Bulb Wattage - 30 watts X 2 (right bulb + left bulb)
Can it take a LED or HID - dunnno but I will find out
Note: notice the TWO -elongated- contacts on the rear of this bulb and its a DUAL output, LOW and HIGH BEAM. Which may mean low beams are 30 watts X 2 = 60 watts of power on LOW and high beam adds a second set of filaments (two are in each bulb). I am pretty sure when you turn on high beams the low beam filaments stay on equalling four total on, which means 60+60+60+60=240 watts. Yes you need to know these numbers if you want to upgrade the headlights to LED or HID.

Taillight Bulb Type - Filament
Taillight Bulb Voltage - 12 volt
Taillight Bulb Wattage - 5 watts tailight | 21 watts stoplight
Can it take a LED or HID - dunnno but I will find out
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bulb.jpg
Views:	1241
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	104937  
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

I will be adding the carb factory jet SIZE NUMBERS and carb rebuild instructions soon with pictures. I will also add what jets to use with what slip on exhausts.

NOTE: Dynojet and other aftermarket jet NUMBERS DO NOT MATCH Yamaha OEM jet numbers. Aftermarket uses their own numbers.

So a 142.5 OEM yamaha JET is ------NOT------- the same as a 142.5 dynojet jet.

Remember to ALWAYS confirm what jets are INSIDE your Raptor carb and if there is OEM exhaust and OEM intake (meaning the bike is mostly if not all stock) you need to have the STOCK/OEM JET sizes. One of my raptors they took off the FMF exhaust and LEFT the dynojet JET inside the carb and the bike ran like shhiiiiiii*. well not horrible but bad. Took awhile to figure out all this jet shi*.

Another good point is if you're buying a used Raptor 350 you should ALWAYS fully clean the carb or pay the dealer to do this. The amount of issues that come from a dirty or clogged carb/jets/passages are too numerous to list. You can clean a carb for under $10 bucks or pay someone for probably $50 bucks. It will save you a TON of time when your Raptor WONT start, or wont idle, or mid or high throttle is cutting out. If you buy a used Raptor 350 and expect to fill up the tank with new gas and start driving it... be prepared for problems. Fuel sitting for weeks or months in the fuel tank, tubes and carb causes major problems and MUST be cleaned.

Do you need to rebuild kit for your carb? Maybe if parts are missing or damaged. Cleaning can solve alot of problems. Should you get individual OEM jets from yamaha or a kit? sometimes. A kit contains everything you need, individual jets and parts add up.

Last edited by sharpraptor; 10-29-2015 at 09:00 AM.
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

I will also be adding wheel lug patterns and which wheels will fit the raptor 350 from other yamahas and other bikes.

If anyone has pictures of LARGER REAR (ITP holshots, mud-lites)or FRONT tires I would love to see pictures of them including the tire make and size and if you needed to get larger wheels or change any gearing/chain. Not paddles though. Not looking to run in sand.

Last edited by sharpraptor; 10-29-2015 at 09:03 AM.
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

Raptor 350 Oil Strainer and Oil Strainer Compression Spring (in regard to changing Oil and Oil Filter)
================================================== ==============

A quick note. One key element of having a great Raptor is maintaining the oil and oil quality. This is because the ENGINE and TRANSMISSION use the SAME OIL. And not only to LUBRICATE BOTH but also the oil has a cooling function. Lack of oil or lack of QUALITY oil can lead to many problems, such as excessive bearing wear, overheating, hard shifting, hot operating temps, etc. etc.

Oil Maintaining
===================
Use the manual or the oil change procedure listed in this previous post on checking oil. You should check oil before EVERY RIDE, EVERY TIME. Ensure the oil is at the right level and the oil is in great shape. Check this when BUYING a raptor too.

Oil Change and Oil Filter Change
===================
Use the manual or the oil change procedure listed in this previous post on changing oil.

Oil Drain Plug Problem
===================
I am still working out a plan to deal with this but I kept seeing people stripping out or damaging the oil drain plug on the bottom of the case. I didnt know why this was happening until I realized the drain plug on the bottom has to compress the oil strainer compression spring and it makes installing the plug VERY DIFFICULT. You have to apply alot of pressure on the plug due to the spring and I can see how easy it would be to strip the threads in the bottom of the case. If anyone has a trick that helps please post it. The best I have came up with is using my socket wrench to compress the spring slightly with the oil drain plug, thread the plug on a COUPLE threads, take off the wrench and use my fingers to thread the plug into the case, this way I ENSURE I am not cross threading or damaging the threads. Then I torque the plug with the wrench once I cannot turn the plug anymore.

You DO NOT want to damage these threads. Be careful.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1069
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	104969  
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

Raptor 350 Dual Exhaust

Anyone with DUAL EXHAUST please post what exactly you have including model numbers and PICTURES! Let us know how they sound! Also include what jetting or engine/fuel/air changes you had to make for tuning.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dual.jpg
Views:	4409
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	104977  
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 03:00 AM Thread Starter

Raptor 350 Front Shocks

Anyone who upgraded your FRONT SHOCKS please post what exactly you have including model numbers and PICTURES! I am seeing alot of people CLAIM YFZ450 front shocks are DIRECT BOLT-ONS to raptor 350s front shock locations, but I also see others who deny this. Also include what modifications you MAY had to make on the shocks or on the raptor to get them to fit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SANY4316.jpg
Views:	1063
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	104985  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode