TD's 350 - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Cool TD's 350

Hey fellas, I just picked up a neglected '05 yesterday. Guy said it "needs a transmission, it's hard to start"... not real sure what the correlation is between trans gears and starting. Previous owner said it was having shifting issues... he had the crankcase swapped out with a used bottom end that has a new crank and bearings, then said it became "hard to start".

SOOOO... I bring home the raptor and the spare crankcase and get to looking this thing over. So much sh!t missing or half assed, it drives me nuts. But, I love a project and bringing something back from the dead... well, I got what I asked for.

I have started reassembling the bike at least getting it to a point where I can try to start it. First thing I noticed, the battery was toast. So I swapped my antigravity battery over from my motorcycle, motor turns over. Lots of turning over, no vroom vroom... Pull plug, wet plug, so we got fuel... no spark.

I read Morph's thread and then went through all the "doh" items... bike's in neutral, switch is "on", I have fuel pouring out of the gummed up carb drain, I pulled the rectifier plug and still no spark. I am going to test the coil, but honestly, I figured with all the other stuff the bike needs, it wouldn't hurt to replace a bunch of these parts anyway.

So currently I have ordered:

CDI (are the 30 dollar amazon ones bad?...a little late to ask I guess)
Coil
Rear master cylinder
Rear grab bar
Front fender bracket
Raptor hardware kit
Random exhaust hardware
Seat cover
New headlight bulbs (1 is out and I HAVE to have them match)

Bottom line, I am wondering if the "hard to start" was due to poor maintenance and a series of bad parts... I can only hope it's that and not crankcase internals... But I am prepared to have to split the case if need be.

Future purchases will include:

Sprockets and chain (thinking about a 12T)
Air filter (what should I run? K&N?)
Jet kit
nerf bars
graphics kit

I want to see how it performs before I do much more. Then it will be a matter of cleaner her up just to get her dirty on the trail. Sorry for the novel... figured I would give as much detail as I can in case someone sees something I may be missing.

I will try to get some pics up soon.

Travis

Believer in the "Buffalo Theory"...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Here are some pics from the add and from her ride home. My 5 year old daughter parked her's beside mine in the driveway... thought that was cool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181230_090059_1546300164924.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	132037   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181230_202903_1546300209160.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	132039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181231-103215_OfferUp_1546300264356.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	132041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181231-103202_OfferUp_1546300384401.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	132043  
morphrider likes this.

Last edited by VBTravisD; 12-31-2018 at 09:45 PM.
post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Add a carb rebuild kit, clutch perch and a new rear brake light switch to the parts list.

I pulled the tank and petcock, cleaned those out, replaced the fuel line with some I had laying around. I am going to try to get as much done as I can while I wait for the CDI and coil.

The clutch lever has as much up down travel as it does in and out! hahaha... so it was time for a new lever/perch too.

post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 07:16 PM
POTW Moderator

Garage
I think the CDI we purchased was from EBay, $30 and that was a couple years ago, zero issues since. That's a good list to start with, let's see how it works when you get them.

Love the pic with daughters bike.
VBTravisD likes this.

[U]2006 raptor 700

DMC Force 4's, FCI W/box, Dynatek Fusion
CP 11:1 piston, BaMotorsports porting, HC3
RacersEdge +3TB
YFZ 450 fronts & reworked rear by JOGACA
Trailtech 1 1/8 xbar w/vapor dash & Vapor installed
ODI Rogue grips & ASV pro pack levers
PRM Edge Baja bumper w/12" Cree spot/flood bar
PRM Desert grab bar
PRM A-Arm skids, GYTR skid, ProArmor swinger skid
Fastway steering stabilizer
68HP 49TQ

PM me if you need service manuals
post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 07:29 PM
POTW Moderator

Garage
Oh ya, I gotta know, what is this "Buffalo theory" you believe in??

[U]2006 raptor 700

RacersEdge +3TB
PRM Desert grab bar
68HP 49TQ

post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

A great philosopher once stated...

Well, ya see Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we all know, kills brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

-Cliff Claven
jsanders347 and morphrider like this.

post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 08:56 PM
POTW Moderator

Garage
Pure genius, I am a believer, lol.
VBTravisD likes this.

[U]2006 raptor 700

RacersEdge +3TB
PRM Desert grab bar
68HP 49TQ

post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

So the wife and I hopped on netflix... did a fake new years countdown and got the kiddos to bed. Verizon is in a pissing match with ABC, so my wife is furious she can't see Seacrest's new years special... so off to the garage I go.

This bike keeps getting better and better. Previous owner BYPASSED the kill switch by sticking a cheap @$$ fork wire terminal in the harness side connector and electrical taping it in. So I pulled that fire hazard out of there, cleaned up the contacts on the connectors and reconnected the engine kill switch. ha. I keep finding little stupid stuff like the rubber grommets for the headlights are on the post, but not mounted to the headlight, so the headlight is just rattling around. Just laziness.

I should have a buttload of parts coming in over the next 5 days. Love some ebay, amazon and some other websites I found selling OEM parts.
morphrider likes this.

post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Happy New Year's guys! Be prepared for another long and frustrated post.

Cup of coffee, threw the garage doors open (it was 70 degrees here today), put an 8# pork butt on the smoker around 7am and got to work on the raptor.

Figured I would work on other stuff while I wait for the coil and CDI units to arrive. I took off the exhaust, wire wheeled it and painted it with high temp exhaust paint. I found that the spark arrestor has already been removed (get to that in a sec)

I took the cowl off and sanded it down, the previous owner "sanded" it with something like a flipping butcher's knife it looks like and then half assed spray painted it. So I sanded the deep gouges out, primer, sand, paint. Looks much better.

I also pulled the carb off... and why should I expect it to be any better than the rest of the bike!? I will say that the carb wasn't god awfully dirty, but it had some junk in it. The hilarious part was seeing the white house silicone used to seal up the boot to the cylinder. I have some plastic razor blades... I love those things! I took one of those and cleaned up the mating surfaces. I stuck my cellphone endoscope down into the jug and noticed some of the silicone fell down in there, so vacuum and then compressed air... blew the crap out. I also noticed how clean the intake and valve is! So that's promising.

I took apart the rest of the carb apart, I want to document the jetting I have currently. 25 & 145 (and get to this is a sec). I reassembled and put it back on the old girl. I also found that the vent line for the mikuni was disconnected, I chased the hose back to find it was pinch shut between the rear plastics and the frame. So I fixed that.

So in 3 days I have done some electrical work, cleaned up the exhaust, flushed out the tank, cleaned the gas cap and carb. So now I am ready for that CDI to see if I get spark!

I did notice when I was putting the forward/reverse lever back, that the heim joint was hitting a motor mount. So I wonder if this caused the "transmission" issues that the PO spoke about. I loosened the bolt, added a washer on 1 side and now it clears fine and rows through all the gears. Fingers crossed. I'd hate to do all this work just to find out I need to pull the motor.

FINALLY... I have a couple questions... Like I said, the spark arrestor is gone.

1- What is this air box mod I have heard about?
2- What filter should I go with? K&N or Uni? Which model number? And do I need an adapter?
3- What size main jet should I be looking at? I will be mostly running at sea level, but plan to go to the mountains some with it this year.

BBQ and black eyed peas was d-lish... drinking a beer and posting my updates here. Sorry for the long winded post. I like to document everything as I go along so I can refer back in case something happens. Honestly, it seems like it's just me talking to Morph. hahaha.

post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 09:56 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
Yep, you're talking to Morph since he's the expert on the 350. But we all read your posts looking for a way to spend your money, just keep it up. You have over 80 views.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.
VBTravisD likes this.

'19 Can-Am X3, RS Turbo, 172 HP, 1300x15 STU #2 paddle, Tribute front, DynaTec controller, cat delete, GTP blow off valve, custom flame wrap, Bent Metal windshield, Blazer wiper, rear window, 48in LED light bar, 14in LED light bar, GTP LED side lights, S3 shock tower brace, aluminum rear pull plate, 5K Badlands winch, dual batteries, 5ft lighted whips, Rugged radio and intercom, interior lights, rock lights, chase lights, over $200 additional switches, YES, street legal with dirt tires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode