04 Raptor 350 - High Idle after strip & clean - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

04 Raptor 350 - High Idle after strip & clean

Working on getting a very under-used Raptor ready for sale and stripped the carb as it was running very lean, back-firing like crazy after essentially nil use for the last few years and very little use for ten years.

Clearly badly gummed up.

I've seen the other thread on this and I don't think I have a leak.

I cleaned it carefully, ensuring the slide is moving smoothly.

Firing it up, idle was very high, rpm increasing a shade after 10 secs or so. Throttle control operative, although it settle back higher still after blipping the throttle.

I made 2 mistakes that I've discovered so far, well three, starting work on something I didn't have maintenance docs for.

1. I didn't note the throttle linkage position before disassembly. I've adjusted at both ends in the closing direction as far as possible and backed off the idle setting stop, still too high. Does anyone have a photo or diagram of the carb end of the throttle mechanism so I can be sure that I've not done anything stupid there?

2. I didn't note how many turns I backed out the single adjustable part of the mechanism to clean it. (centre front, bottom when installed) I think it's the idle fuel setting and that fully in is lowest, but I don't know. Fully in did not have a perceptible effect on the very high idle. Can anyone please tell me what the "low" setting of that adjuster is and confirm the function.

What else stupid could I have done and what should I do to identify my failings?

I should add that I am competent at working on small mechanical stuff - I restore vintage audio stuff including tape recorders professionally, but I've no experience in working small engines and their carbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:27 AM
POTW Moderator

Garage
Welcome to the forum,

I am wondering if you have an issue with the choke plunger? Have you looked over OEM schematics from parts places such as RMATV to confirm how things are situated? If I remember I can uncover ours and look it over to confirm a couple things for you.

[U]2006 raptor 700

DMC Force 4's, FCI W/box, Dynatek Fusion
CP 11:1 piston, BaMotorsports porting, HC3
RacersEdge +3TB
YFZ 450 fronts & reworked rear by JOGACA
Trailtech 1 1/8 xbar w/vapor dash & Vapor installed
ODI Rogue grips & ASV pro pack levers
PRM Edge Baja bumper w/12" Cree spot/flood bar
PRM Desert grab bar
PRM A-Arm skids, GYTR skid, ProArmor swinger skid
Fastway steering stabilizer
68HP 49TQ

PM me if you need service manuals
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:44 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
Motor stopped, hold the throttle open and let go quickly. You should hear the slide close with a thump/clunk. If not, your throttle cable may be to tight.

If the carb was gummed up it's likely the gas tank is/was gummed up. Something may have broken loose and went in the carb.

Lastly, check for vacuum leaks in the intake.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

'19 Can-Am X3, RS Turbo, 172 HP, 1300x15 STU #2 paddle, Tribute front, DynaTec controller, cat delete, GTP blow off valve, custom flame wrap, Bent Metal windshield, Blazer wiper, rear window, 48in LED light bar, 14in LED light bar, GTP LED side lights, S3 shock tower brace, aluminum rear pull plate, 5K Badlands winch, dual batteries, 5ft lighted whips, Rugged radio and intercom, interior lights, rock lights, chase lights, over $200 additional switches, YES, street legal with dirt tires.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks both

I'll provide you guys with some free entertainment.

It was something quite dumb.

The throttle cable nipple at the carb end wasn't quite seated in the little brass holder, holding the throttle open at "idle"

With that fixed, I backed out the idle fuel adjuster two turns from fully in and it idled reasonably, then proceeded to bog down and refuse to start about 1/2 a mile from home (we can ride on the roads around home as the County never adopted them, no laws broken).

Fun towing it back on twisty hilly roads, then ran the idle fuel adjuster fully in and out one full turn. I got it warmed up, adjusted the idle throttle setting screw and ran it for 30 mins or so. All pretty good, just the occasional burble changing down and decelerating - a bit lean perhaps.

Given this is prep for sale, any other carb tweaking I should do?

I'm letting it cool and then going to check the cold starting to confirm idle fuel and throttle idle settings are good with a touch of choke.

Make sense?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode