04 raptor 350 rear brake question - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

04 raptor 350 rear brake question

I have seemed to have lost my rear break. I have fluid, cables seem to be tight, but when I tap the brake, the pads wont grip, therefor not allowing me to use my back breaks. I have since removed the parking break, but have not put a brake off cover on it yet, its back ordered. When this happened i was riding with the kids in low gear for long time and rear break locked up, had to let it sit to cool off before i could ride again. Any ideas as to what i can do. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 09:22 PM

So the pads wont squeeze down at all? Perhaps something with your caliper, maybe its seized?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

How can I check to see it the caliper is seized? I have checked the fluids and bled the brake line. when I step on the brake the fluid squirts out. Also I am able to squeeze the brake assembly together with my hand, if that makes sense. Please any help is appreciated.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 10:03 AM

If the caliper is seized up its easy to see. It wont close at all or wont return to its open state and will just heat everything up and then it will warp the disk or lock up! Also if its seized usually you will push on the brake lever and it wont budge...Have you bled your system thoroughly! Is there air in the line? Are you losing any brake oil pressure at all from a leaking line?

I try really hard to give the right info when you need it but id rather make people laugh. Their aint enough laughter in this world.

2009 Raptor 700R SE - Mods: Runkind light covers and speed limiter blue wire cut

Can now provide most manuals for most makes and models and years. Send me an email at [email protected] BE SPECIFIC: YEAR/MAKE/MODEL add Hiya Frenchie in your email so i know your from this forum. My manuals galore thread https://www.raptorforum.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=95852
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Then I guess it is seized because when i press the rear brake nothing happens at the rear, it doesnt close or open. How do I bled the entire system throughly, i have opened the bled screw at the rear assembly, do I do this until all the brake fluid is out. How do I know if i have air in the lines and if i do how do i get it out? If it is seized how do i fix this. do I have to replace the rear brake system?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 11:35 AM
2011 RF Fantasy FootBall Champ

i have a complete rear brake set up like brand new. Caliper, resi, cables if you need them. my sons bike seized the engine on our 6th trip out with the bike and it was out of warr. I can send you pics if needed.

2011 Sand Shark LSR
2005 Raptor 660
2013 Maverick
2013 Raptor 700
2007 Raptor 80

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=OOuqqF-m2UE
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 11:49 AM

Just like a car! Its the same process! You know when you have air, when you open the bleed valve then start adding brake fluid to the container on the bars then start pumping your brakes until you dont see any bubbles coming out dont over pump it or it will shoot everywhere! What a mess. You might want to unscrew the bleed valve gingerly so only a little amount of brake fluid comes out and dosent spray all over. You will hear the air fart out LOL. If your 2 to do this it will be easier just make sure your buddy never lets the container empty and fill the line up with air again or youll be kicking his butt later on!

I would only do this process once you installed your new caliper...As stated by bigrig hes whilling to sell you his and id jump on the occasion if its in good order.

I try really hard to give the right info when you need it but id rather make people laugh. Their aint enough laughter in this world.

2009 Raptor 700R SE - Mods: Runkind light covers and speed limiter blue wire cut

Can now provide most manuals for most makes and models and years. Send me an email at [email protected] BE SPECIFIC: YEAR/MAKE/MODEL add Hiya Frenchie in your email so i know your from this forum. My manuals galore thread https://www.raptorforum.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=95852
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

What causes the caliper to seize? And is the only way to fix it,is to replace it?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 12:38 PM

I think so unless you find a shop that can rebuild them but id be really suprised if you found one.

What causes it? Well wear and tear, age, dirt, Not changing the oil in the system id say every 2 years...extended storage for id say maybee six month and more. Its alot of things but usually wear and tear or the wrong kind of brake oil used!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Is it recommended to use DOT 3 or DOT 4 brake fluid, and is the quad still able to be ridden, not using the back brake and just down shifting and front brake, if I am not going to ride hard?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode