2008 Yamaha Raptor 350 making grinding noise . . . - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

2008 Yamaha Raptor 350 making grinding noise . . .

Hello,

I have encountered an engine noise issue on my raptor. It just started within the last ride I was on two weeks ago. I am an industrial mechanic by trade. . . .so I am not at a complete loss with mechanical aptitude.I just figured I would research the issue a little before tearing into the matter.

So the noise I speak of occurs immediately at start up and while the engine is running. I can only explain the noise like ice being chopped in a blender or an ice maker in a home fridge cycling and dumping its ice in the tray.

It is rpm specific, meaning the noise follows the engine increase in rpm. The motor has had a top end tick while in 6th gear at mid to wide open throttle, yet this noise seems to be coming from the bottom end. The engine seems strong and I am not hearing a pronounced rod knock. The noise is an oscillating sound, which tells me it is related to the reciprocation of the motor.

Today, I am going to listen to the motor with my mechanics stethoscope and try to trace the root cause. It sounds pretty bad and I ended up riding it in from the trail in this condition. . . .so, I am a little leery of running it to much.

I should add, that my last ride involved a lot of mud, sand and water. . .so I am suspect of that as well. I changed the oil right before this ride and thought. . . now watch the engine go bad after the oil change!!!!!

I've seen info regarding starter or timing chain causing this noise. I have also notice that my tranny is having issues while trying to downshift and that is become more pronounced.

So I am making this post to see if anyone else has had any experiences with the engine noise I speak of?

Last edited by Need_more_throttle; 09-13-2011 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Forgot to add detail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 02:12 PM

I had a similar noise on my 08 and it happened to be the rod bearing. Unfortunately it didn't take long for the bearing to spin off after first hearing the noise.

As far as the top end tick, check your valve clearances. These need to be checked on a regular basis if you ride alot.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Red face 2008 Yamaha Raptor making gringing noise . . . .

Thanks for the reply . . . . I drained the oil that was changed just before this last ride and found a lot of metal shavings in the oil plug from the bottom of the engine. Went into the the stator side of the motor, and inspection cover for timing chain. Chain is good and no slop, one way clutch for starter is good. Took out the plug and rotated the crank by hand back and forth and now I can hear the knock. I'm thinking rod bearing or wrist pin now. Either way, this bike is done for a while until I get the chance to go through it.

Now is the time for tear down and inspection, rather than blowing the motor. Great excuse to add performance parts

I would agree about the valve clearances. That will be covered in the rebuild, so this way I will have a bench mark to go from. I bought the bike used. . .but it's not always easy to tell how beat the bike was. This one was in great shape when I picked it up. . . .and ran strong. I'll admit. . .I beat the poor thing. I need to be on a bigger quad . . . 350 just inst near enough for me!!!

Guess it'll be the Honda TRX this weekend. . .good to have at least something to ride as a backup!!!!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 09:34 AM

If you are hearing what I think your hearing which is a high pitch spinning sound. I had this on my 2011 raptor 250 and when I looked it up people said that it was the flywheel spinning on the chain and that it wasn't a problem. Its loud because the 250 isn't loud enough to cover the noise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode