Got Really Wet = Won't Run/Start - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Got Really Wet = Won't Run/Start

Went riding yesterday and got really muddy, a lot more than usual. However, I didn't sink it and never got liquid in the air box, just a little bit of mud and debris in the exhaust tip but the spark screen caught the majority of it. So I cleaned the shit out of it today. Sprayed it off multiple times, took the exhaust tip off and tried to clean as far inside the muffler as I could with a wet towel, took the air filter out and sprayed out the inside of the air box with a rag plugged in the air inlet tube. I probably went a little overboard with the water cleaning everything. I had mud caked on the outside of the carb and all underneath the plastic that covers the tank and the front hood. I took all of it off and sprayed it down.

So here is my problem. The start buttom took several pushes to get it to even turn over. It started up, took it for a quick spin and it died on me. Had trouble cranking back up and died on me while shifting again. Now it hardly wants to idle. Engine and exhaust sounded normal. However, the start button does nothing now. All lights work, so I know the battery is fine, plus the bike is not even a year old. I know this is probably a broad issue, but can anybody shed some light on this as to where to start? I really don't think I could have gotten water in the tank or engine. Are these bikes sealed off well?

Thanks!

2009 Ford Expedition 4x4
2008 BMW E92 335i
2011 Yamaha Raptor 350

'All I care about is money and the city that I'm from, Im'a sip until I feel it, Im'a smoke it 'till its done, and I don't really give a f**k, my excuse is that I'm young'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 07:48 PM
I am unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptastic View Post
Went riding yesterday and got really muddy, a lot more than usual. However, I didn't sink it and never got liquid in the air box, just a little bit of mud and debris in the exhaust tip but the spark screen caught the majority of it. So I cleaned the shit out of it today. Sprayed it off multiple times, took the exhaust tip off and tried to clean as far inside the muffler as I could with a wet towel, took the air filter out and sprayed out the inside of the air box with a rag plugged in the air inlet tube. I probably went a little overboard with the water cleaning everything. I had mud caked on the outside of the carb and all underneath the plastic that covers the tank and the front hood. I took all of it off and sprayed it down.

So here is my problem. The start buttom took several pushes to get it to even turn over. It started up, took it for a quick spin and it died on me. Had trouble cranking back up and died on me while shifting again. Now it hardly wants to idle. Engine and exhaust sounded normal. However, the start button does nothing now. All lights work, so I know the battery is fine, plus the bike is not even a year old. I know this is probably a broad issue, but can anybody shed some light on this as to where to start? I really don't think I could have gotten water in the tank or engine. Are these bikes sealed off well?

Thanks!
Start by draining the water out of the carbs and possibly the fuel tank, wash out the switches with brake clean and charge the battery........

686 three plugger with HV porting, 39 FCRS, Curtis Sparks exhaust, Dyna FS CDI
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 08:00 PM

Check the oil, if it is white there is water in it.

2009 Raptor 700
CP 11:5:1, stage 3 HC, ported head, FCI w/box, +3TB, PCV, DMC Force 4s 65hp 52lb ft
Lonestar +2 A arms, stem, ASV f3, pro taper fatbars, PRM sidebars & rear bar,ODI lock ons, ESR coolant temp gauge, LED pods and 6" on bars

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 09:26 PM

Get some dielectric grease and put a little in every electrical connection you can find, including the spark plug wire.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode