Clutch issues - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Clutch issues

So i was installing a new aftermarket clutch perch and eliminating the clutch safety switch inside the perch. I put everything back together including a new clutch cable and for some reason when i pulled the clutch in, there was no tension. So i adjusted the cable at the perch and the middle of the calble and stil nothing? So i went down to the bottom adjustment on my case where the other end of the cable hooks into and there was no tension on it. I could just push it with my finger and it would do about a 1/4 turn? I have no idea about clutches. So i called the local dealer and talked to the service guy and he said something about the rod not being ligned up on the teeth inside the case? So i decided screw it the only way to learn is to try so i did. A few of the bolts holding the clutch case on were galded up and crappy and i accidently broke a bolt inside the case. GREAT. So now i have drill it out and re-tap it. Now im stuck cause i have no idea what the problem is?

Why would there be no tension on the rod going to my clutch case? I shouldnt be able to move it freely. (the spring was attatched on the rod and the arm outside the case so thats not bad. It still came back but was effortless to move with my finger.

Please help. I have a few days off and would like to go riding! lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 02:29 PM

did you pit the piolet bearing (i think thats whats its called ) back on the pack before the case went back on??
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

I'm sure what you mean by that. I didn't do anything inside the case. I just took the case off to look at the rod going into the case to see if something wasnt on right.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 09:50 PM

Look at the back of the clutch cover on the top. There is a linkage piece. Pull that off, and put it back a few notches with the adjustment at the perch all the way screwed in. I think that's your problem...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

I'll have to try that. I didn't really look at the back side of the cover. It felt like the rod wasn't connected because there was no tension when pushing on it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

I have the case off now and the way I'm seeing it is the rod (don't know the specific name is going down through a small gear which when turns lifts the other hear to push the clutches in. I thought I shouldn't be able to move that rod at all with my fingers?? I'm thinking if I adjust the gears to where the one that pushes into the clutches to have to spin less to start engagin the clutch? I'll pot pics now.

Last edited by Rappy350; 11-25-2011 at 12:05 PM. Reason: added pictures

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode