YouTube: Raptor 90 Carb Removal / Pilot Jet Cleaning Video - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

YouTube: Raptor 90 Carb Removal / Pilot Jet Cleaning Video

Memorial day weekend I picked up a Raptor 90 for my 3 year old son and I to ride on together. I figured it'd be a good platform with bicycle-style brakes, easy electric start, and only a thumb throttle. I could easily tool around on this with him in front of me, and biggest of all, it'd also be easy for my wife (who hates bikes/quads) to tool around on as well. My son LOVES dirtbikes and quads more than anything else in the world and riding on stuff like this is his favorite thing to do.

I bought the 90 on a Saturday afternoon and finished paperwork/loading up the quad just before they closed. I got it home and it would start at half-choke, but otherwise wouldn't run - even after leaving it "warm" up for 10 minutes or so. Any more or less choke than half would kill it instantly, and any throttle aside from wide open would kill it as well. I don't know a ton about carbs (ALL of my other toys are fuel injected - including a FZ1, 700R, and WR250R) so I really didn't WANT to mess with it, but my kid was chomping at the bit to ride this thing, so I figured either I'd wait 3 days til the dealer opened back up and go bitch at them, or tackle it myself.

Doing it myself won.

I've swapped engines in cars before, converted a Civic from automatic to manual once, and generally do all of my own work on everything, but carbs and I typically don't get along. I recorded this video as I was removing the carb for the first time, and it actually went quite well. I can't guarantee that all of the terminology in this video is 100% correct, but it should be a helpful step-by-step guide to help someone else in a similar situation that has a pilot jet plugged, which is what causes the symptoms I was experiencing.

After putting everything back together directly after recording the video, the bike fired right up and we rode it all weekend. My son loves it, and I was really glad to familiarize myself with the quad and successfully solve the problem at the same time.

Video is here:

Sorry for the audio and video quality - it was recorded with an older Go Pro. It should be good enough to help you guys out though. Be sure to crank the video quality up to 720p.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 01:19 AM
Vendor

the choke screws always fall out of those 90's. pull it back off when u can and take a snap punch ti the edge of the screws to dimple the threads

Cuervo Racing 951-743-6328
Email/PAYPAL: [email protected] ********** www.Cuervo-Racing.com
***SELLING ONLY THE BEST PRODUCTS FROM THE BEST COMPANIES***
HIGH PERFORMANCE COMPLETE ENGINE BUILDS
MONSTER, FCI, 47 54/58 Throttle bodies, trail, dune, Race PORTING,
5050 5150 Camshafts, CP Big bore, Stroker cranks, Swingarms,Drag Race and custom parts
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 05:12 AM

Stickied, thanks for sharing the video.

Mike

Photobucket is trash now, use something else.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 05:22 PM

Super helpful, thank you. just got a new 2013 Raptor90 and it's been at the dealer for last two days. Daughter can't even ride it cuz it stalls so bad. Dealer got it going, but it's choppy and dies if you get on it. This is EXACTLY what the problem is and know what to do. Thanks.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 06:47 AM

here's the micro drillbits to drill you own jet out to #37 .79mm I believe it what most people are running.

http://www.harborfreight.com/high-sp...-pc-61526.html
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 04:22 PM

Ok. New to the site. Have a 2013 raptor 90 for my son. It has been sitting over a year, after a starter issue and it was hesitating when you added throttle. I watched the videos and have removed the carburetor and cleaned everything. I am waiting for the #37 Pilot jet which should be here this week. Drained the fuel and now have diagnosed the starter problem and ordered it as well. It should also be in this week.

Here is the main issue. During disassembly of the carburetor I seem to have come up with an extra spring. In looking at diagrams, The needle with the rubber round black cover has a small spring under the plastic float piece. However, somehow I have come up with a spring about the size of spring that the old style writing pens have in them. WHERE DOES THIS GO A D WHERE DID IT COME FROM? At a loss here. I slipped it over the needle valve of the rubber piece but I don’t think that’s where it was or where it goes.

HELP!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode