A new to me 80 - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

A new to me 80

Hey Everyone... Just got my son a 2002 raptor 80. Bought it used.

I have a ton of experience with snowmobiles but haven't been into this type of motor sports. Its a 3 speed semi auto.
I have a couple questions

The battery under the seat shows 11.9 when it isn't running. I would say its time for a new battery.. My first question... IS the quad supposed to charge the battery when it is on. I hooked up a multi meter to it while it was running and didn't see a spike in voltage. Would this be the rectifier that would provide the voltage?

Second question. An online manual I found referenced a Neutral indicator light. There isn't one on this, Im not sure if it varied model to model? Should there be one on all 2002s?

Third. The little screw near the thumb throttle that would limit the speed... It is missing. Can i use any correctly sized one to just screw it? From what I have read... the thumb will still have the same amount of throw, but speed will by limited.

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by muddypuddle; 03-10-2019 at 08:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 09:08 PM

I’m not too sure about the charging situation and don’t want to give false info on that. I haven’t seen an 02 without the neutral indicator light unless it was a Frankenstein that someone beat the crap out of and had parts missing left and right. My guess is the previous owner may have taken yours off and misplaced it or the plastic cover that goes over the four bolts for the bars was broken off and never replaced. The light goes on that piece and is just a bulb that goes into a rubber socket. When I bought my 80, the throttle limiting screw was also missing. I found a machine screw that I had on hand and it works perfectly. It does limit the travel in the throttle and makes it really hard for a small kid to apply the throttle without getting tired quickly. Hope this helps.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddypuddle View Post
Hey Everyone... Just got my son a 2002 raptor 80. Bought it used.

I have a ton of experience with snowmobiles but haven't been into this type of motor sports. Its a 3 speed semi auto.
I have a couple questions

The battery under the seat shows 11.9 when it isn't running. I would say its time for a new battery.. My first question... IS the quad supposed to charge the battery when it is on. I hooked up a multi meter to it while it was running and didn't see a spike in voltage. Would this be the rectifier that would provide the voltage?

Second question. An online manual I found referenced a Neutral indicator light. There isn't one on this, Im not sure if it varied model to model? Should there be one on all 2002s?

Third. The little screw near the thumb throttle that would limit the speed... It is missing. Can i use any correctly sized one to just screw it? From what I have read... the thumb will still have the same amount of throw, but speed will by limited.

Thanks for all the help.
Yes it should charge or atleast stabilize when it’s running, charge your battery up all the way and see if it holds above around 12.4-12.6 vdc. If it is running and your voltage is steadily/slowly dropping you might have a bad regulator/rectifier. Located in the very rear left on the frame. Looks like a square block with a connector. Hope that helps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode