2003 Raptor 80 no start... - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Rstokes89

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

2003 Raptor 80 no start...

Alright, so picked up a second project after my raptor 250 thinking this little raptor 80 was going to be a piece of cake. Guy I bought it from for $250 said everything worked when he parked it a year ago in a shed. I knew it would need the obvious things ordered air filter, carburetor, fuel petcock and got a brand new battery. Went to turn the key on no neutral light( the bulb is fine tested it in my raptor 250), went to hit start button and no joy. I could jump the starter solenoid with a set of wires and in turn cranked the starter motor over. Tested the solenoid it was bad so I bought a new one, still doesn’t work. Traced all wires back from the left lever/2nd rear brake to a neutral safety relay switch I replaced that and still nothing. Is there something I’m missing, CDI boxes go bad few far and in between so I’m not ruling that out yet, is there something else I’m not doing, or something else I can test. I’m also getting no spark when I spin the motor over by bridging the solenoid. The neutral indicator light attempts to illuminate while spinning it over with the key on and solenoid bridged, but that should get a constant voltage if it is in fact in neutral. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 04:12 AM

Hey Man - I am having a similar problem. I bought a 2006 and when I bought it everything worked with the starter. The first day out my son hit a big hole and the starter stopped working and was only clicking so I replaced the selenoid and the nuetral relay and now I dont even get any clicking, nothing The neutral light will remain on and I can jump the selenoid to get it to crank and it runs good. How do you test back from the brake lever and how can I tell if the nuetral relay is bad? [email protected]
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman3000 View Post
Hey Man - I am having a similar problem. I bought a 2006 and when I bought it everything worked with the starter. The first day out my son hit a big hole and the starter stopped working and was only clicking so I replaced the selenoid and the nuetral relay and now I dont even get any clicking, nothing The neutral light will remain on and I can jump the selenoid to get it to crank and it runs good. How do you test back from the brake lever and how can I tell if the nuetral relay is bad? [email protected]
Alright check this out, I have figured out the issue with mine. I opened the whole switch assembly found a web spun in there almost like cotton where the push button is supposed to make connection with hot wire(red) and ignition wire(brown). Still that wasn’t the issue but needed to be done and could’ve been my issue. I got frustrated started wiggling every wire I could and low and behold the fuse holder in he rear by the battery has a short in it. The neutral light started illuminating and then I push the button it tried to start. If you open the fuse holder there are prongs in there that clasp around the fuse so it doesn’t wiggle and makes a good connection. If you pinch that just a little tighter so the fuse makes a snug fit that should do it. Also make sure your key switch connector is a solid connection those wires aren’t wiggling at the connector on the right front of the bike under the frame by the CDI box. That safety lever I talked about apparently has no factor on the little 80 I’m working on. It does have wires to it for a safety switch but I can turn it over with or without it compressed. Try checking your connection to the battery from the fuse, there could be a short in it like mine that’s why you had to bypass and jump it. Let me know I’ll keep checking on this post so I can help you out bud
morphrider and 4stroker4life like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode