Raptor 80 Frame Bushings - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Raptor 80 Frame Bushings

Anybody have any tips on getting out the frame bushings on a Raptor 80 they seem to be frozen. The service manual just says remove them.. Before I start beating on the frame I want to make sure of the removal procedure. This is the last thing I need to do before i have the frame and parts powder coated.

Hopefully someone here will have some suggestions....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Today, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Ok, Here is another one with no responses that I figured out .. After tons of reading what I found was only a few people tried to get these out of a Yamaha FJ1200 motorcycle frame which uses the same Yamaha bushing as the Raptor 80 frame.. One person wrecked his frame and the other two got them out with some minor frame damage. They basically beat them out with a hammer and chisel.. Nowhere are there instructions for getting these out. Even the Yamaha service manual only says.. "If they are worn, remove and replace". Mine were not worn, but I am doing a complete restoration of this Raptor 80 and having the frame and other parts powder coated.

So here we go... first this is what the Bushings look like... They are a thick metal tube surrounded by hard rubber, then surrounded by a thin metal tube. That thin metal tube is the problem. It is so thin that there is no way to catch onto it with anything and if you try and press the bushing out from the inner tube you just stretch the rubber and it never moves. I have a 20 ton press and once I released the pressure the inner bushing tube just went back in like a turtle head....

There are four of them to take out on a Raptor 80. Two on the frame for the swing arm and two on the front arm. The ones on the front arm are slightly larger in diameter.

What I finally did was to use a propane torch that I use for copper plumbing fittings. I heated around the bushing until the rubber melted. That allowed me to grab the center tube with vice grips and pull it out. The center tube came out with the burnt rubber around it leaving the thin tube still in the frame.

The tube is so thin that nothing you could put in the end of the frame will push out the tube. You would need something that was machined to the exact inside diameter of the frame in order to push on it. I could see that the tube was thin enough that it would probably bend easily. I took a very small flat screwdriver with a thin tip and was able to find a spot to pry the tube from the wall, lightly tapping on the screwdriver accomplished this.. once I had a tiny spot bent away from the wall , I took a small flat chisel and small hammer and went around the tube bending down the edges making a shelf that I could then push down with a socket and the press. that is how I got them out. It is a long slow process.There is a picture of the removed tube with the bent down end. The last photos of the removed bushing tubes have the inner tube and rubber pushed in a little.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	21891736 002.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	133107   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190815_163259.jpg
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	133109   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190815_162931.jpg
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	133111   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190815_162953.jpg
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	133113   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190815_162938.jpg
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	133115  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190815_163312.jpg
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	133117  

Last edited by Venomous; Today at 07:17 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in