Raptor Forum banner

Raptor 80 rear end issue

13K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  DrNick2020 
#1 ·
So about a month ago we put my nephews Raptor 80 in the shed after a ride and it was fine. Rolled right in and backed into its spot.

Yesterday we went to roll it out and go for a short ride and the rear tires were locked up. The brakes dont seem frozen and the rear dif has plenty of fluid.

Any ideas what this might be?

#4 ·
Haha ok i was gunna say :\ gotta be pretty dumb to not check that hahaha... Umm i mean check all the obvious stuff... gears, parking break, the break may have locked some how check that out. Other than that its gunna be some sort of gear problem

Just remembered something bout my 80... the gears sometimes fuck up and the light comes on for no reason. Assuming your a larger than a 14 year old, sit on it and rock around and push back and forth while trying to shift, that may help?

#5 ·
oh, one more thing. i lifet it in the air put it in gear and gave it a bit of gas. it didnt move at all. the rear is totaly stuck. breaks seem to move like normal so im not sure. just didnt know if maybe someone had a similar issue. it seemed weird that it was fine a month ago and now its not.

#7 ·
yeah, it sounded normal. i was thinking gear or shaft problem. i sure hope not. but thats why im asking around. i dont wanna yank it all apart just yet. besides, he will be on the blaster in the spring anyway. but i want it fixed so my daughter can enjoy it someday.

#8 ·
Hmmm well it sounds like a gearing problem but it would also be very strange to be one because it was just sitting... i mean you could try taking apart the brake assembly, cleaning, and putting back... Cause i know what you mean about not wanting to rip the tranny apart just to find out that it was a different problem haha. Well i think iv put my knowledge into this, hopefully someone else (preferably who has/had this problem) will chip in. Good luck!

#12 ·
We fixed it this weekend. Turns out the brakes were frozen up on it. We took it all apart and cleaned it all out and they are fine now. My nephew likes the mud ALOT but doesnt like to clean his machine after. So it usualy gets a spraying and then gets put away. I think he may start washing it better since he missed the last ride due to his break problem. We are firm believers of "take care of it and itll last forever" He was told that he could use it whenever he wanted but he was responsible for all maint and gas with his own money. He works hard to do that but lacks in the washing area of things. He realized this time it was important to do.

All is good now and thanks for all the input.

#13 ·
Reading this, I was wondering if the nephew took the 80 out when no one was looking, broke something, then put it back like nothing happened. That's what I would have done.

#14 ·
hahahaha, Nope. He is far more responsible than the average kid. If he was not he would not be riding with us.

I have 3 nephews and 1 neice all between 11 and 13 years old. 2 of them ride with us all the time and took my personal backyard safety course. The other 2 are not allowed to even ride the raptor 50 because they refuse to obey MY rules for riding. They ask all the time and when i tell them they have to take my course they say "no thank you, thats for little kids" So I tell them they cant ride them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.