Raptor 90 Carb Cleaning and jet replacement video - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Raptor 90 Carb Cleaning and jet replacement video

After struggling with my daughters Raptor 90 for the past year, I have decided to make a few videos to help others with what I have learned to make the quad run a little better.

In this series of videos I will show how to remove the carburetor so that the jest can be cleaned.

The carb on a Raptor 90 is a 22mm TK, and is junk in my opinion. The original pilot jet is only a 32 for emission purposes and tends to clog if gas is left in the bike when it is stored for winter. This causes the carb to stumble as throttle is opened. After doing a lot of research I found that the company that produces the ETON 90 makes the engine for Yamaha. This is important because a Eton dealer is the only way to get larger jets for this carb. I have installed a 38 pilot jet in my carb and it runs great although maybe a little rich.

This first video shows how the quad responds when the jets are clogged. I will be making more as I progress through the carb removal and jet replacement.

Here is the first video...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Here is the second installment that shows how to remove the carb.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 10:58 PM

Great job on the write up! I had the same issue with our 2009 Rap 90. Ended up ordering a new pilot jet and had a machinist friend bore the jet to .35mm, up from the stock .32mm. Starts and runs much better but if the jet gets the slightest blockage, it is hard to start and will not idle. We have a Polaris Outlaw 90 that has the exact same problem. The pilot is so small that they partially block with varnish and are very tough to clean out. I think I am going to open the pilot up a little more to .37mm. We definitely run the carb out of fuel after each run. Looking forward to watching your videos. Oh, the first time I removed the carb, I didn't remove the heater and rotated the carb and guess what, broke the heater. Learned the hard way.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Finding jets for the Yamaha Raptor 90

I got a little ahead of myself in the videos. I think it is a must to change out the pilot jet to make this quad run half way decent. I used a 39# but I think it runs a little to rich, so I am going to go down to the 37#.

The attached video show both the Yamaha and the ETON Raptor 90 carb, and as you can see they are the same. Yamaha does not carry the larger jets so the only place I have found to get them is from ETON.

Here is the link to the Yamaha dealer link

http://www.middletowncycle.com/fiche...009&fveh=28556

Here is the link to the Eton site

http://www.etonamerica.com/part_catalog/index8.asp

Last edited by swissspeed; 03-24-2011 at 09:19 PM.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 08:39 PM

Great info, thanks for sharing!

Mike

Photobucket is trash now, use something else.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 11:41 PM

Looked for jets and found the eton site was down. Guess I'll try tomorrow. Either that or have my spare pilot drilled out to .37mm . May also try adding a small washer under the clip for the needle. Have read that this really helps get a bit more fuel sooner.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Here is the next video that shows how to disassemble the carb and clean it.

Last edited by swissspeed; 03-25-2011 at 08:22 AM.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Here is the last video that shows how the quad runs after the jet has been upgrade and the carb has been cleaned. At the end I show how to drain the fuel bowl to keep the carb from clogging up again.

Last edited by swissspeed; 03-25-2011 at 08:23 AM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

As you tell from the last video the quad is running a little rich. I would suggest dropping from the 39# pilot jet to the 37#.

In my next set of videos I am going to try to replace the stock TK carb to a Keihin carburetor. The idea here is not more power but better throttle response. With the TK it seems like its either full on or off. I am hoping that updating the carb will allow full range of throttle response.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

I just found this site which offers a Carb Kit as a replacement the the stock TK.

http://raptor90.net/parts--accessories.html

I have been talking with the owner and he says the...

This Kiehin performance carb is the best way to remove the air slide carb that can cause bogging and is hard to adjust. This kit comes with the carb, jets, throttle cable, foam air filter. Great performance mod for the money. $200.00

A little more details are the the Carb is a smaller 20mm but he said it was the best match. I am debating if I should use his kit or move up to the Kiehin 22mm. The biggest issue is where to get the cable that matches the carb and will still work with the thumb throttle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode