throttle body upgrade? - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

throttle body upgrade?

hello all! new member here! I'm looking to do a throttle body upgrade. I have the big 3 and stage 2 hot cams. who should I go with and what size? should I get an FCI intake? right now mine is just a K&N filter (person I bought it from put it on) any help is much appreciated! 2006 Raptor 700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 04:20 PM
If you don't wreck, you don't ride

Either a bored throttle body 47mm which is around 180 or 50mm billet which is around 300. FCI will help on the top end for sure, and don't forget to have it re tuned.

post #3 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 04:21 PM
POTW Moderator

Garage
Welcome to the forum!

What do you have as far as the housing for the K&N filter? If it's a pro Design or Monster then that is a good set up. As far as getting the FCI it depends on what you plan on doing for the build. If all you do is trails, stick with what you have as long as it is the bigger size filter, not stock size. If you are a dune guy where you are in the top end of the motor, then an FCI will shine.

Before you do that TB upgrade I suggest getting a bigger piston to help move the air. Even at that point I wouldn't bother unless you ported the head, again, move the air. Then get your TB to let the air flow.

Answer back and we will go from there.

[U]2006 raptor 700

DMC Force 4's, FCI W/box, Dynatek Fusion,
CP 11:1 piston, BaMotorsports porting, HC3
RacersEdge +3TB
YFZ 450 fronts & reworked rear by JOGACA
Trailtech 1 1/8 xbar w/vapor dash & Vapor installed
ODI Rogue grips & ASV pro pack levers
Fastway steering stabilizer
68HP 49TQ

PM me if you need service manuals
post #4 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarter187 View Post
hello all! new member here! I'm looking to do a throttle body upgrade. I have the big 3 and stage 2 hot cams. who should I go with and what size? should I get an FCI intake? right now mine is just a K&N filter (person I bought it from put it on) any help is much appreciated! 2006 Raptor 700
I have a +3 throttle body from Cuervo, a Hot Cam 3, and a Monster intake with K&N Filter/Outerwear Pre-Filter. All works really great, really wakes the bike up in the higher RPM without sacrificing any low end power. All would be for sale if you or anyone is interested...
morphrider likes this.
post #5 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the responses. to answer your question morph, its just a stock intake size K&N filter.... stock box with the lid off. like I said, the guy who owned it before me did most of these upgrades. (CT racing exhaust, stage 2 cam, k&n intake, and some crappy tuner... I changed that to a PCV because it was running like crap with it) I'm just looking to get the most power out of it with the TB as possible with out really having to change much internally (atleast for now). If need be though, id be ok with purchasing an FCI and a 50mm if that's my best bet.
post #6 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

now that I'm looking online, it might actually be the pro design K&N. ill have to take a look at it when I get home to double check
post #7 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 01:31 PM
POTW Moderator

Garage
This is the size difference I am referring to, even though it's foam it is Pro Design vs K&N stock size. The one picture shows stock size housing inside the Pro Design version.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
rcarter187 likes this.

[U]2006 raptor 700

RacersEdge +3TB
68HP 49TQ

post #8 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

oh gotchya ok no its definitely not the pro then. just when I did a quick look online it showed a little bit of a bigger size K&N filter. but mine is definitely the stock size then. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if theres a good size TB and intake upgrade I can do now with out having to do more work internally for now (obviously get it tuned after installed)? not saying I wont do internal work down the line. just as of right now I'm just looking to find something that I can run with what I have now, get a decent increase, and also support future upgrades if that makes sense.
post #9 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

oh and to answer your question about where I ride, I'm on east coast so no dunes for me ='( mostly trails and some tracks. usually a lot of the places I go though have plenty of places to open it up and get into higher gears so its not like I'm just always in 2nd and barely 3rd
post #10 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 03:46 PM
POTW Moderator

Garage
Then I would personally get the pro design setup over FCI. I would also hop on that offer about the +3 TB from the previous post, can as well for future. And honestly, it's not much more while you are there to take the head off and upgrade to a bigger piston. Head work can wait.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

[U]2006 raptor 700

RacersEdge +3TB
68HP 49TQ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode