Raptor Forum banner

throttle body upgrade?

30K views 118 replies 15 participants last post by  Freak700r 
#1 ·
hello all! new member here! I'm looking to do a throttle body upgrade. I have the big 3 and stage 2 hot cams. who should I go with and what size? should I get an FCI intake? right now mine is just a K&N filter (person I bought it from put it on) any help is much appreciated! 2006 Raptor 700

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum!

What do you have as far as the housing for the K&N filter? If it's a pro Design or Monster then that is a good set up. As far as getting the FCI it depends on what you plan on doing for the build. If all you do is trails, stick with what you have as long as it is the bigger size filter, not stock size. If you are a dune guy where you are in the top end of the motor, then an FCI will shine.

Before you do that TB upgrade I suggest getting a bigger piston to help move the air. Even at that point I wouldn't bother unless you ported the head, again, move the air. Then get your TB to let the air flow.

Answer back and we will go from there.

#5 ·
thanks for the responses. to answer your question morph, its just a stock intake size K&N filter.... stock box with the lid off. like I said, the guy who owned it before me did most of these upgrades. (CT racing exhaust, stage 2 cam, k&n intake, and some crappy tuner... I changed that to a PCV because it was running like crap with it) I'm just looking to get the most power out of it with the TB as possible with out really having to change much internally (atleast for now). If need be though, id be ok with purchasing an FCI and a 50mm if that's my best bet.

#7 ·
This is the size difference I am referring to, even though it's foam it is Pro Design vs K&N stock size. The one picture shows stock size housing inside the Pro Design version.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Reactions: rcarter187
#8 ·
oh gotchya ok no its definitely not the pro then. just when I did a quick look online it showed a little bit of a bigger size K&N filter. but mine is definitely the stock size then. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if theres a good size TB and intake upgrade I can do now with out having to do more work internally for now (obviously get it tuned after installed)? not saying I wont do internal work down the line. just as of right now I'm just looking to find something that I can run with what I have now, get a decent increase, and also support future upgrades if that makes sense.

#9 ·
oh and to answer your question about where I ride, I'm on east coast so no dunes for me ='( mostly trails and some tracks. usually a lot of the places I go though have plenty of places to open it up and get into higher gears so its not like I'm just always in 2nd and barely 3rd

#10 ·
Then I would personally get the pro design setup over FCI. I would also hop on that offer about the +3 TB from the previous post, can as well for future. And honestly, it's not much more while you are there to take the head off and upgrade to a bigger piston. Head work can wait.

#11 ·
For that matter, get all 3 he offered you. That's a good set up to begin with

#14 ·
I wouldn't go up that big unless you are in the dunes a majority of the time, then pair that with the FCI. For your case I would stick to the +3 combo that was offered earlier. Pump gas builds are no more than 11:1 CP piston. There are a few builders that can port your head, even just a trail porting such as what I have, and it makes a tremendous difference. Porting the head = Power!

#15 ·
I just talked to Bow Commander and he will be listing for sale a +3 throttle body and a Stage 2 cam.

#18 ·
Lol! Its addicting for sure

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

#23 ·
Holy cow, that's quite the jump! Should be a fun quad!

Reactions: 4stroker4life
#27 ·
If your asking me, i have stock a-arms. I think someone on here just got a set of the albas, but i cant remember who[emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

#28 ·
I just got Alba's. I haven't gotten to ride with them yet, but they seem high quality so far.

#30 ·
Will do

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

#31 ·
I have the alba arms the seem decent.
Needed to do a little sanding to make the bushings and spacers fit to my liking.
But over all they have worked good!!

I did not see you talking about a swingarm yet?
Gonna be a lot of power for the stock length quad lol :)

Should be a blast

I always wanted to do the exact motor your building

I never put bigger valves in mine thou :(

Maybe this year??

I’m from pa if your ever in the coal region let me know we can go climbing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#33 ·
I was just thinking... I'm probably going to need a new damn clutch too with stronger springs and everything to help support these mods (let me know if I'm wrong on that and the stock clutch can handle it). anyone know what clutch I should go with and wheres the best place to get it from. I was looking up some info on here and saw a lot of people saying to go with full fiber

#35 ·
Save some money and get a 'Driveline Performance' complete kit from ebay. Look for 'Yamaha Raptor 700 big bore stroker clutch kit'.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.