When to extend swingarm - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

When to extend swingarm

Hi,
For those of you that have extended swingarms, when did you think it became necessary? I currently have 62hp/48tq and was considering going to 70hp. I still have the stock swingarm and it has been fine in the dirt and my first dunes outing won't be until May.

I realize it will be a wheelie machine and would be handful in a drag start. I mostly want to make sure it isn't a bad time, I want it to still be fun. Thoughts?

2018 Raptor 700R. Monster exhaust, FCI intake, Hotcams 3, +3 throttle body, PC5, Cuervo tune, suspension by Jogaca. 62HP/48TQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 06:21 AM
Lifetime VIP

Send a message via AIM to t web2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanfield View Post
Hi,
For those of you that have extended swingarms, when did you think it became necessary? I currently have 62hp/48tq and was considering going to 70hp. I still have the stock swingarm and it has been fine in the dirt and my first dunes outing won't be until May.

I realize it will be a wheelie machine and would be handful in a drag start. I mostly want to make sure it isn't a bad time, I want it to still be fun. Thoughts?
I ran a +4 with your current build and loved it. I’m on a +8 now at 80hp and it’s still fun on the dunes, trails, tree shots, and works pretty well for racing.

2015 700Rse
Fci, PC5F/I, monster exhaust, +2 Cuervo head, HDD5150, 54mm throttle body, 105.5 14:1, +8 swingarm.
08 yfz450se
Sparks big core, k&n no lid, yz needle, yz timing mod, +4 swingarm.
“Peepshow”
Cuervo 870, lectron, msd, monster megs, single a-arm lightened chasis, +14 swingarm.
”Monarchy”
Cuervo 930, lectron, msd, db fab titanium chasis.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 03:12 PM

I agree I ran a +3 swingarm at 60hp and a then at 70 hp. I loved it, noticed only benefits and no negatives! Wheelie when you want to, not when you didnt want it to. Turn basically just as short if you grind down the steering stops a little, and kept the bike straighter at high speeds on sand or loose gravel, and a lot more stable in the air for jumping! I have a +3 factory extended swingarm I would sell if interested, I am now at 80 hp with a +6, I do notice that it doesn't turn as well anymore, however with enough power you can still brake or stab the throttle and make it slide. Some of my friends still like factory swingarm even at 70HP, but I think they are crazy! If I bought a new raptor today, the first thing I would do is install my +3 swingarm, before anything else. I dont know that a +2 does much, and I think a +4 might start to affect turning, which is why I built myself the +3 to go along with my Big 3
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Good to hear on the +3. I was thinking a +2 might not be good enough and a +4 just sounds so enormous. I think I might try 70hp and see how it is first. I wasn't planning on doing a swingarm until a I did some axle and a-arm work. I just can't stop this horsepower itch at the moment. It's beyond my control.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 10:17 PM

Do you still have that factory extended a arm?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 01:30 PM
POTW Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFab View Post
If he doesn't, I have a +2 1/2" I picked up from DEZ that is available, thought I would throw it on but just never happened.

[U]2006 raptor 700

DMC Force 4's, FCI W/box, Dynatek Fusion,
CP 11:1 piston, BaMotorsports porting, HC3
RacersEdge +3TB
YFZ 450 fronts & reworked rear by JOGACA
Trailtech 1 1/8 xbar w/vapor dash & Vapor installed
ODI Rogue grips & ASV pro pack levers
Fastway steering stabilizer
68HP 49TQ

PM me if you need service manuals
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 02:39 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFab View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphrider View Post
If he doesn't, I have a +2 1/2" I picked up from DEZ that is available, thought I would throw it on but just never happened.
This +2 1/2" worked great in the dunes, but also had great steering in the trails. It is a factory arm that was extended and professionally welded. It has great structural strength, unlike tubular arms that break welds when twisted. My build was a 70+HP, 727 stroker with Cuervo + valves with porting, and HDD5050 cam, etc,,,,

'19 Can-Am X3, RS Turbo, 172 HP, 1300x15 STU #2 paddle, Tribute front, DynaTec controller, cat delete, GTP blow off valve, custom flame wrap, Bent Metal windshield, Blazer wiper, rear window, 48in LED light bar, 14in LED light bar, GTP LED side lights, S3 shock tower brace, aluminum rear pull plate, 5K Badlands winch, dual batteries, 5ft lighted whips, Rugged radio and intercom, interior lights, rock lights, chase lights, over $200 additional switches, YES, street legal with dirt tires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode