K & N KN-145 Too Short - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

K & N KN-145 Too Short

Oops posted wrong section. Sorry about that I just wanted to warn others of this. I am guessing others have noticed but easy to miss.

I purchased 6- K & N KN-145 filters specified for 2019 Raptor 700 and all years actually.

These filters should be removed from the application or they should supply a shim to make it fit. They are clearly too short for this application.

These filters are not correct. They are .080" too short.

How can K & N sell these when they are incorrect. Dirty oil will be bypassing the filter.

Had I not been paying attention I could have easily never known and installed it.

Not wanting to throw them away or try returning them and since I am a machinist I just machined up a .080" aluminum spacer out of 6061 aluminum that just goes over the nubs on the cover and pushes the too short filters gasket firmly against the engine.

.080" is a huge gap and for them to be selling these saying they fit is awful. How many people have this junk in their engine slowing trashing it with recycled unfiltered oil.

They must sell thousands of them and I am certain people are installing these right out of the box.

Last edited by 2019YXZSSSE; 04-07-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 05:36 PM
Lifetime VIP

Send a message via AIM to t web2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2019YXZSSSE View Post
Oops posted wrong section. Sorry about that I just wanted to warn others of this. I am guessing others have noticed but easy to miss.

I purchased 6- K & N KN-145 filters specified for 2019 Raptor 700 and all years actually.

These filters should be removed from the application or they should supply a shim to make it fit. They are clearly too short for this application.

These filters are not correct. They are .080" too short.

How can K & N sell these when they are incorrect. Dirty oil will be bypassing the filter.

Would like to have stuffed them up K & N's you know what for selling a filter too short for the application. Pissed !!

Had I not been paying attention I could have easily never known and installed it.

Not wanting to throw them away or try returning them and since I am a machinist I just machined up a .080" aluminum spacer out of 6061 aluminum that just goes over the nubs on the cover and pushes the too short filters gasket firmly against the engine.

.080" is a huge gap and for them to be selling these saying they fit is awful. How many people have this junk in their engine slowing trashing it with recycled unfiltered oil.

They must sell thousands of them and I am certain people are installing these right out of the box.

I’ve been using them on all my raptors. Haven’t had any fitment issue. They have all been a “squish fit” when puting the filter cover back on.

The part that goes into the housing is definitely shorter, but I don’t see it affecting how it seals.

I just measured all my filters, k&n and oem. They all vary about .020” overall, the oem aren’t even identical.

2015 700Rse
Fci, PC5F/I, monster exhaust, +2 Cuervo head, HDD5150, 54mm throttle body, 105.5 14:1, +8 swingarm.
08 yfz450se
Sparks big core, k&n no lid, yz needle, yz timing mod, +4 swingarm.
“Peepshow”
Cuervo 870, lectron, msd, monster megs, single a-arm lightened chasis, +14 swingarm.
”Monarchy”
Cuervo 930, lectron, msd, db fab titanium chasis.

Last edited by t web2007; 04-07-2019 at 05:41 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Ok but I suggest you double check. Unless the 2019 is somehow different which I seriously doubt.
Which is now irrelevant as I just matched it to a genuine Yamaha I happened to have and sure enough it is short by a huge amount.

Just trying to help. It is a fact.

I just read somewhere else someone had posted about this exact same issue. It is easy to miss and unbelievable that they would say this fits. I am sure everyone just like yourself just puts it in and expects and certain it is fitting and sealing properly but it isn't.

I just broke out a fresh Yamaha filter and sure enough the K & N is short by a huge amount. The cover absolutely isn't pushing the filter tight to the engine as it is short, way short.

.078" short from rubber seal to rubber seal. Trust me that K & N filter is not sealing in a Raptor 700. You are bypassing unfiltered oil.

See attachments and tell me if that is short or what ? The K & N KN-145 is .078" short. The gap is huge. It will be bypassing unfiltered oil in that gap if the filter isn't shimmed from the cover side to push it tight to engine.

Maybe the picture will convince others to check but really nothing to check rally anymore. I just double checked by actually measuring and comparing two new filters.

If you have a K&N KN-145 in your raptor 700 without a shim at the cover to take up the shortness and press the filter gasket firmly to the engine then you are bypassing unfiltered oil through your engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7789.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	132615   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7790.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	132617  

Last edited by 2019YXZSSSE; 04-07-2019 at 06:34 PM.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 06:59 PM

I have noticed that they are shorter. I usually use OEM but I had 2 K&Ns on the shelf so I decided to use them. They still squish in there when you put the cover on, just not as tight as the OEM ones.

OEM is better but I’ve never had an issue with the K&Ns and haven’t heard of anyone having an issue in this application

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 07:10 PM
Lifetime VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2019YXZSSSE View Post
Ok but I suggest you double check. Unless the 2019 is somehow different which I seriously doubt.
Which is now irrelevant as I just matched it to a genuine Yamaha I happened to have and sure enough it is short by a huge amount.

Just trying to help. It is a fact.

I just read somewhere else someone had posted about this exact same issue. It is easy to miss and unbelievable that they would say this fits. I am sure everyone just like yourself just puts it in and expects and certain it is fitting and sealing properly but it isn't.

I just broke out a fresh Yamaha filter and sure enough the K & N is short by a huge amount. The cover absolutely isn't pushing the filter tight to the engine as it is short, way short.

.078" short from rubber seal to rubber seal. Trust me that K & N filter is not sealing in a Raptor 700. You are bypassing unfiltered oil.

See attachments and tell me if that is short or what ? The K & N KN-145 is .078" short. The gap is huge. It will be bypassing unfiltered oil in that gap if the filter isn't shimmed from the cover side to push it tight to engine.

Maybe the picture will convince others to check but really nothing to check rally anymore. I just double checked by actually measuring and comparing two new filters.

If you have a K&N KN-145 in your raptor 700 without a shim at the cover to take up the shortness and press the filter gasket firmly to the engine then you are bypassing unfiltered oil through your engine.
I’m measuring between .050-.080” shorter gasket to gasket depending which filter I check. While it is shorter, I believe it is sufficient.

The fact is, every time I install one, the gasket gets squished. It seals. When I remove them, they usually don’t come out with the cover, they are stuck in place.

2015 700Rse
Fci, PC5F/I, monster exhaust, +2 Cuervo head, HDD5150, 54mm throttle body, 105.5 14:1, +8 swingarm.
08 yfz450se
“Peepshow”
Cuervo 870, lectron, msd, monster megs, single a-arm lightened chasis, +14 swingarm.
”Monarchy”
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 07:21 PM

I will throw some gas on this fire. Personally, i like k&n air filters. There is one on everything i own. But k&n oil filters suck in my opinion and i wont use them on anything. My distain stems from the crappy oil filters they pump out for sportbikes. Everyone likes them because they have the nut welded on and they are easy to remove and install. But they are not sufficient filters and will drastically reduce the life of an in-line 4 cylinder. Not this application, i know. Just my personal vendetta

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

07' Raptor 700- 11:1, hotcam 3, Pro design intake with K&N, +3 throttle body, Monster big bore duals, MSD with cuervo timing, JOGACA shocks, trail tech VAPOR, GYTR heel guards & bumper & nerfs, .250 aluminum skids, TM case saver, folding anodized levers and shifter, powermadd hand guards

04' raptor 660-Hot rods crank, .5mm overbore, 11:1 wiseco piston, Stage 1 hotcam, Yoshimura slip-on exhaust, K&N filter with outerwears, open lid airbox, Dynojet stage 2 jet kit
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 07:28 PM
Lifetime VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stroker4life View Post
I will throw some gas on this fire. Personally, i like k&n air filters. There is one on everything i own. But k&n oil filters suck in my opinion and i wont use them on anything. My distain stems from the crappy oil filters they pump out for sportbikes. Everyone likes them because they have the nut welded on and they are easy to remove and install. But they are not sufficient filters and will drastically reduce the life of an in-line 4 cylinder. Not this application, i know. Just my personal vendetta

I have similar feelings about wix. Actually similar to the issue at hand. It was so much shorter than the motorcraft that the drain valve in filter housing wasn’t depressed. Oil just drained back into the case. Hard to start a truck whose injectors run off high pressure oil when the high pressure oil pump is starved.

Also picked up a Napa gold for the raptor one time. It was falling apart before I even tried to install it.

Sticking to oem filters is not a bad idea at all.
4stroker4life likes this.

2015 700Rse
08 yfz450se
“Peepshow”
”Monarchy”
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t web2007 View Post
I have similar feelings about wix. Actually similar to the issue at hand. It was so much shorter than the motorcraft that the drain valve in filter housing wasn’t depressed. Oil just drained back into the case. Hard to start a truck whose injectors run off high pressure oil when the high pressure oil pump is starved.

Also picked up a Napa gold for the raptor one time. It was falling apart before I even tried to install it.

Sticking to oem filters is not a bad idea at all.
Yup yup. Especially with motorcraft filters. Fords really dont like aftermarket...

07' Raptor 700- 11:1, hotcam 3, Pro design intake with K&N, +3 throttle body, Monster big bore duals, MSD with cuervo timing, JOGACA shocks, trail tech VAPOR, GYTR heel guards & bumper & nerfs, .250 aluminum skids, TM case saver, folding anodized levers and shifter, powermadd hand guards

04' raptor 660-Hot rods crank, .5mm overbore, 11:1 wiseco piston, Stage 1 hotcam, Yoshimura slip-on exhaust, K&N filter with outerwears, open lid airbox, Dynojet stage 2 jet kit
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by t web2007 View Post
I’m measuring between .050-.080” shorter gasket to gasket depending which filter I check. While it is shorter, I believe it is sufficient.

The fact is, every time I install one, the gasket gets squished. It seals. When I remove them, they usually don’t come out with the cover, they are stuck in place.
That is surprising to me how that can be. I certainly believe you.

I even removed the o-ring cover seal even to see if it ever even makes contact. The cover went on flat metal to metal without using screws just placing it on no gap at all that would have indicated there would be some crushing of the seals on the filter as it is bolted down. If the cover goes on flat with just placing it there with your hand how much crush could there be ?

I can tell you I spent some time checking this before machining the spacer. The factory one definitely isn't being compressed .080" that much we know. If it wasn't smashing the factory by that much then the K & N can't possibly even be touching. You couldn't possibly crush the factory one down by .080" without it deforming the rubber seals or the filter itself.

.080" short is a bunch. I am not talking about the length that doesn't do anything of course that is completely different and irrelevant. From rubber sealing washer face to face of rubber spacer on end of cartridge. This is what is important and much too short on K & N. I would be good if it was .030 or even .040" I could see that still having enough contact to seal but .080" is excessive and my measuring/testing fit up didn't have the cartridge captured securely from end to end.

IMO it should be identical length regardless of if could seal or not. It is not a compatible crossover for a Yamaha spec filter if it isn't in spec.

I checked and rechecked and it was no way sealing on my 2019 application and I don't think any things changed. If you going to use the K & N oil filter cartridge I suggest you check it again for yourself. Maybe placing a simple o-ring over the nubs on cover would be simpler than the big washer like shim I machined for mine and would do the same job if it would stay in place as the cover was bolted over the end of the cartridge.

Last edited by 2019YXZSSSE; 04-07-2019 at 11:59 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:23 AM

Call me crazy, I just use the cheapo Tusk firstlines from Rocky Mountain when I place an order. They are maybe $2.99? I buy them in bulk and always have them ready to go. Fit fine, and do what they are supposed to? Been doing this for 15 years or so, with whatever oil I chose at the time.
morphrider likes this.

06' 700 SE
-Fasst-
-Elka-
-GT Thunder-
-Alba-
-Lonestar-
-Streamline-
-PC5-
-Pro Design-
-HMF-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode