Possibly looking for Stabilizer and Steering Stem - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DEZPERADO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Possibly looking for Stabilizer and Steering Stem

After dumping my quad on it's side last weekend, by steering is all out of whack and based on other posts here, I need to pull my steering stem and see if its bent or damaged. The handlebars to not line up with the tires facing forward and it does not look like the tie rods are bent, so I'm assuming it will end up being the steering stem. I had already started thinking about getting a puck style stabilizer, and was leaning towards the Fastway system 3 based on the price compared to the Precision stabilizer. Will either of these work on an aftermarket stem, and if so what would be my best option? I've seen Houser mentioned on here, but it looks like that requires their own anti-vibe handlebar clamps. If I'm considering a stabilizer, does it make sense to also go with a stem that requires this type of clamp for the money?

I was hoping to purchase a Big 3 setup at the end of the month from KB Motorsports, but now it may have to wait until I get this issue resolved first. I ride a lot of trails here in Oregon which consist of large ruts and dips, which is why I was already considering the stabilizer. As we plan to hit the Oregon dunes at least 3 or more times a year, I need something that has some adjustability when changing terrains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:18 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
If your tie rods are straight, then most likely you twisted the splines on the bottom of the stem. I have a anti-vibe +1 stem with bar mounts for sale. PM me if you're interested. I'll be in Oregon for UTV takeover if that may be convenient for you to see it. I also have tie rods, ends, steering flag and many other 700 parts.
morphrider likes this.

'19 Can-Am X3, RS Turbo, 172 HP, 1300x15 STU #2 paddle, Tribute front, DynaTec controller, cat delete, GTP blow off valve, custom flame wrap, Bent Metal windshield, Blazer wiper, rear window, 48in LED light bar, 14in LED light bar, GTP LED side lights, S3 shock tower brace, aluminum rear pull plate, 5K Badlands winch, dual batteries, 5ft lighted whips, Rugged radio and intercom, interior lights, rock lights, chase lights, over $200 additional switches, YES, street legal with dirt tires.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:08 PM

I recommend the Precision steering stabilizer, expensive, but it works like you want it to.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:14 PM
POTW Moderator

Garage
I really like my fastway, never tried the precision back to back though.

[U]2006 raptor 700

DMC Force 4's, FCI W/box, Dynatek Fusion,
CP 11:1 piston, BaMotorsports porting, HC3
RacersEdge +3TB
YFZ 450 fronts & reworked rear by JOGACA
Trailtech 1 1/8 xbar w/vapor dash & Vapor installed
ODI Rogue grips & ASV pro pack levers
Fastway steering stabilizer
68HP 49TQ

PM me if you need service manuals
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team 2 gils View Post
I recommend the Precision steering stabilizer, expensive, but it works like you want it to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphrider View Post
I really like my fastway, never tried the precision back to back though.
I used a CCP on a factory stem and the anti-vibe above without problems.

'19 Can-Am X3, RS Turbo, 172 HP, 1300x15 STU #2 paddle, Tribute front, DynaTec controller, cat delete, GTP blow off valve, custom flame wrap, Bent Metal windshield, Blazer wiper, rear window, 48in LED light bar, 14in LED light bar, GTP LED side lights, S3 shock tower brace, aluminum rear pull plate, 5K Badlands winch, dual batteries, 5ft lighted whips, Rugged radio and intercom, interior lights, rock lights, chase lights, over $200 additional switches, YES, street legal with dirt tires.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

So I pulled my steering stem, and I'm assuming the splines have all been twisted? From the pictures you can see at the top of the splines, they don't come straight down, which i am assuming they should be on a stock stem? I tried to see whether the pitman arm was okay, but I think from other pictures I've seen, it is not flat and has some rounded shape to it which would possibly mean mine is okay? It's tough to see whether the splines on the pitman have been damaged, but it didn't look like it. I guess if I replace the steering stem and figure out how to align the splines correctly, it will tell me if there is a problem with the pitman arm. I put a straight edge up against both tie rods and they seemed to be straight. The white marks are still lining up from the rod and nut, and when I took a measurement from the middle, end-to-end they seemed to be pretty close in length still.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190618_120029_resized.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	132897   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190618_120055_resized.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	132899  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:49 PM

Garage
I sent pictures of the extended anti-vibe steering stem and bar mounts. Did you get them? I haven't heard from you!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEZPERADO View Post
I sent pictures of the extended anti-vibe steering stem and bar mounts. Did you get them? I haven't heard from you!
Just saw your post and sent you another PM. I did not receive any pics so I wanted to verify I gave you the right number, which I did so I'm guessing you just typed in a wrong number

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode