Piston and Cylinder crapped out - Page 3 - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEZPERADO View Post
DON'T sleeve or bore a factory cylinder. It decreases the water jacket and then it runs hot. If you want a stock bore buy a factory cylinder or check with Millennium Industries or it might be Millennium Technologies. They strip and re-plate factory cylinders. If you want a big bore cylinder get it from Cuervo with the bigger water jacket. If you go big bore you'll also need studs and a SCE head gasket.

FYI, years ago there were a rash of sleeved cylinders that after a few hours of expansion/contractions of dissimilar metals, the sleeve would slip out of position.

Have you checked your cylinder? It may be good! If you want reliability go with factory bore.
Dez you are awesome, you literally have a response for EVERYTHING! I am going to send them my old cylinder. I am trying to cut cost... The work they do seems top notch... Now if i could find a good used head at a decent price, i'd be happy. But ebay is full of heads at almost the price of a new one.
DEZPERADO likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:13 AM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by palvarez05 View Post
Dez you are awesome, you literally have a response for EVERYTHING! I am going to send them my old cylinder. I am trying to cut cost... The work they do seems top notch... Now if i could find a good used head at a decent price, i'd be happy. But ebay is full of heads at almost the price of a new one.
I have a used head and a used cylinder I could sell. What else do you need?
ian77 and palvarez05 like this.

'19 Can-Am X3, RS Turbo, 172 HP, 1300x15 STU #2 paddle, Tribute front, DynaTec controller, cat delete, GTP blow off valve, custom flame wrap, Bent Metal windshield, Blazer wiper, rear window, 48in LED light bar, 14in LED light bar, GTP LED side lights, S3 shock tower brace, aluminum rear pull plate, 5K Badlands winch, dual batteries, 5ft lighted whips, Rugged radio and intercom, interior lights, rock lights, chase lights, over $200 additional switches, YES, street legal with dirt tires.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I have a used head and a used cylinder I could sell. What else do you need?
PM

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
PM

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Replied.
palvarez05 likes this.

'19 Can-Am X3, RS Turbo, 172 HP, 1300x15 STU #2 paddle, Tribute front, DynaTec controller, cat delete, GTP blow off valve, custom flame wrap, Bent Metal windshield, Blazer wiper, rear window, 48in LED light bar, 14in LED light bar, GTP LED side lights, S3 shock tower brace, aluminum rear pull plate, 5K Badlands winch, dual batteries, 5ft lighted whips, Rugged radio and intercom, interior lights, rock lights, chase lights, over $200 additional switches, YES, street legal with dirt tires.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 03:38 AM

This is also happening to me. When I use this!
I did gaps the rings into the wire and this happens.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 03:56 AM

Question

What can cause this kind of damage to the piston and cylinder? I bought the same cylinder a few days back having the same problem. Let me know what could I do with this?
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamhere View Post
What can cause this kind of damage to the piston and cylinder? I bought the same cylinder a few days back having the same problem. Let me know what could I do with this?
Detonation

Sent from my GM1910 using Tapatalk
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team 2 gils View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Looks like detonation damage to me. From low octane, old gas, to much compression. CP pistons don't need any extra machining but the ring gap must be checked. What's your elevation and compression of the piston?
So this was what i though... Pump gas down where i ride my bike is pure shit and excuse my french, it doesnt have an octane rating. The piston was 12:1, altitude is around... 26'
12 to 1 usually requires about 100 octane I believe.
12:1 could probably get away with 91 but the tune has to be on point. My buddies husqvarna 450 has 13:1 and he runs 92 just fine. However with higher octane you could run a more aggressive tune.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatman View Post
12:1 could probably get away with 91 but the tune has to be on point. My buddies husqvarna 450 has 13:1 and he runs 92 just fine. However with higher octane you could run a more aggressive tune.
No... 12:1 is not for pump gas on the 700, this is why my shit blew up... And not only did it blow up, it took my cylinder and head with it! Don't do it, take an 11:1 piston and get some porting work, add bigger valves and you are all set.

Sent from my GM1910 using Tapatalk
morphrider and DEZPERADO like this.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 08:45 PM

Garage
The design of the raptor 700 head, piston, cam and ignition at 11:1 compression will run on 91 octane without problems. Higher compression may be OK at higher elevations but will require higher octane at sea level. Yes, other design motors can run higher compression at sea level. Example is the YFZ450 at 14:1 on 91 octane.
morphrider likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode