Piston and Cylinder crapped out - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

Piston and Cylinder crapped out

What can cause this kind of damage to the piston and cylinder? This was a brand new CP Carillo piston and OEM cylinder on a recently ported and polished head. Connecting rod was also new cp carillo, and new cams stage 2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2019-06-11 at 12.08.44 PM.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	132885   Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2019-06-11 at 12.08.45 PM.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	132887   Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2019-06-11 at 12.08.44 PM(1).jpg
Views:	50
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	132889   Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2019-06-11 at 12.08.42 PM.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	132891  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palvarez05 View Post
What can cause this kind of damage to the piston and cylinder? This was a brand new CP Carillo piston and OEM cylinder on a recently ported and polished head. Connecting rod was also new cp carillo, and new cams stage 2.
Holy cow! That sucks. Cylinder looks like it may have gotten a little hot, may just be from the scoring. Not an expert at all, but I believe those cp pistons especially have to have their rings file fit to your cylinder, do you known If this was done? They are typically big to start with so you can properly gap them to the application, if this was not done then expansion make have caused them to bind up.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team 2 gils View Post
Holy cow! That sucks. Cylinder looks like it may have gotten a little hot, may just be from the scoring. Not an expert at all, but I believe those cp pistons especially have to have their rings file fit to your cylinder, do you known If this was done? They are typically big to start with so you can properly gap them to the application, if this was not done then expansion make have caused them to bind up.
I will ask, looks like the piston literally melted... It is so weird...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:31 AM

The piston was wrong size for the bore. Way too tight. Fine at room temps but once it heated it was tight so there is the results.

I build two stroke racing engines and if you don't take some off the top 1/2" of piston especially the little bit above the ring that needs .002" taken off(.004" total off diameter) the same thing will occur.

Rings with not enough end gap will cause similar damage. Were the rings checked/gapped during installation
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2019YXZSSSE View Post
The piston was wrong size for the bore. Way too tight. Fine at room temps but once it heated it was tight so there is the results.

I build two stroke racing engines and if you don't take some off the top 1/2" of piston especially the little bit above the ring that needs .002" taken off(.004" total off diameter) the same thing will occur.

Rings with not enough end gap will cause similar damage. Were the rings checked/gapped during installation
So no matter what piston I purchased, some needs to come off?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 08:09 AM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
Looks like detonation damage to me. From low octane, old gas, to much compression. CP pistons don't need any extra machining but the ring gap must be checked. What's your elevation and compression of the piston?
4stroker4life likes this.

2007 RAPTOR 700, SAND QUAD, 11:1 CP, +5 HR CRANK, PC3, +2 TB, LONE STAR XC +1, +1 A-ARMS, HD TIE RODS, JOGACA REAR SHOCK, ASV LEVERS, +4 REAR AXLE, DR.D REVERSE, ODI GRIPS, 1 1/8 CARBON BARS, DG BUMPER. BILLET: GAS CAP, BRAKE COVER, THROTTLE LEVER, BAR MOUNTS. LED LIGHTS'
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEZPERADO View Post
Looks like detonation damage to me. From low octane, old gas, to much compression. CP pistons don't need any extra machining but the ring gap must be checked. What's your elevation and compression of the piston?
So this was what i though... Pump gas down where i ride my bike is pure shit and excuse my french, it doesnt have an octane rating. The piston was 12:1, altitude is around... 26'
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palvarez05 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEZPERADO View Post
So this was what i though... Pump gas down where i ride my bike is pure shit and excuse my french, it doesnt have an octane rating. The piston was 12:1, altitude is around... 26'
12 to 1 usually requires about 100 octane I believe.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:07 PM

Did this happen on the first engine run after the build? Did you gap the rings? The intake valves appear to be bent.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 01:02 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
No octane rating on the gas pumps?? Do you have regular and premium? You need to ask or do some research.

At basically sea level, I would rebuild with a CP 11:1 and run the best gas you can. If you find your gas is less then 90 octane I would machine around .030 from the piston dome. You may see a slight power loss but without detonation. Get a Stage 3 cam and a +3 throttle body will give more power.

Run a (diamond) hone thru the cylinder to see if it will clean up.

I also saw what looked like bent valves, be sure to check them.

Be sure to check the head for warpage and always use a factory head gasket.

2007 RAPTOR 700, SAND QUAD, 11:1 CP, +5 HR CRANK, PC3, +2 TB, LONE STAR XC +1, +1 A-ARMS, HD TIE RODS, JOGACA REAR SHOCK, ASV LEVERS, +4 REAR AXLE, DR.D REVERSE, ODI GRIPS, 1 1/8 CARBON BARS, DG BUMPER. BILLET: GAS CAP, BRAKE COVER, THROTTLE LEVER, BAR MOUNTS. LED LIGHTS'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in