Raptor Forum banner

780cc or more, big power gains

4K views 32 replies 7 participants last post by  Sixpack577 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
Im new to the forum and own a 2016 raptor rse
With barkers dual exhaust system, pc5 and a hi flow intake system without lid Im pretty sure its a big 3 kit.(I mainly run sand dunes or desert) but after a while got use to the power and I want more now. I live outside usa so sending parts for porting is almost impossible but I could pay for a ported head but not for a ported case. Im looking at a 780cc kit from bp racing, this is included:

NEW 105.5mm big bore cylinder11:1 CP piston kit (12.5:1 and 14:1 also available)Hotrods

5mm Crank with rod and heavy duty main bearings

Hotcams Stage 3 Camshaft

Complete gasket set
Crankcase sealsCam chainEngine roller bearings (transmission, balancer, cam, etc)

1. What else I could add to this?

2.Is this a good kit?

3.Are there any 800+cc kits that dont require case modification?

If there are better options im able to pay up to 2.5k
I live in chile and 97 gas is available everywhere but I dont know how much compression I can run with that.
Im looking for this power to be able to beat can ams x3s and big power units, hope for your advice

See less See more
#3 ·
Bigger isn't always better or cheap. Anything bigger then 105.5 will require case boring for a bigger sleeve. The 105.5 cylinders have been known to have head gasket problems unless you use a premium SCE gasket.

A CP piston is preferred for stock or big bores. Anything over 12:1 should use a head stud kit. Anything over 11:1 may require 93 octane or better using RON to determine octane. Be sure your 97 will meet those requirements.

Hot Rod 5mm stroker cranks have proven to be unreliable and fail. A 5mm stroke will add .5 to compression on a stock bore, and .7 to a 105.5 bore. So, a 11:1 piston with 5mm stroke would be corrected to 11.5:1 or 11.7:1 total.

Without porting, you won't get the full potential of this build.

A stage 3 cam would be a good choice.

My Raptor, stock bore, 5mm stroke, 11.5:1 CP corrected, DMC Force Four, FCI, HDD5050, bored throttle body and more was 70+ horse power. NOW, I have a Can-Am X3 RS and I can tell you it's a loosing battle to keep up. Your best choice, and maybe cheaper would be a turbo system.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

#4 ·
A CP piston is preferred for stock or big bores. Anything over 12:1 should use a head stud kit. Anything over 11:1 may require 93 octane or better using RON to determine octane. Be sure your 97 will meet those requirements.

Did you mean a RON 93 or better can handle 12:1 compresion? or I missunderstood? Where I live we have pump gas with RON 98 and MON 85, so its a true 91,5 Octane fuel, It is safe to run 12:1 or 12,5:1 with this fuel? My altitude is 500 to 1300 foots (150 to 500 Meters above sea level). Thank you!

#8 ·
A Raptor may be faster, but a CanAm X3 SxS will out ride the Raptor. After a full day of riding a bike, you feel worn out. Not so in a SxS.

Reactions: morphrider
#9 ·
Really??
I can't see the Raptor outrun the Can-Am.
A friend of mine actually bought a 2020 Can-Am 2 seater turbo 1k the same day I got my 700, but we have yet to go riding.
I figured the Raptor might hang for a few seconds, but that the Can-Am would walk off, and does have another 10-15mph on top.
NO?!?!?
Because if I'm wrong I have some serious trash talkin to do, lol.

#10 ·
Yes, top speed, the CanAm is faster, but I was thinking about general riding.

#14 ·
The CanAm RPM's instantly jumps to 8000, and the clutches change size to accelerate. If the clutching is correct, it can't be beat. In my group, I am faster in a drag race. One guy with a Textron, just put a turbo on it, can pull me after about a 1/4 mile, top speed. I've since done some clutching, so we'll see.
Now, my 734 Raptor was twice the HP of a stock 700. That's what I am used to, and what I was comparing it to.
A stock 700 wouldn't have a chance.

Reactions: Sixpack577
#15 ·
Friend of mine had a 2017? Can-Am 1k, 3 cylinder turbo, 146hp? (as you can tell, I know very little about them).
The new one I think is 178hp? with a stage 2 kit bumping it to 212hp? and then some wild $12k+ kit pushes it to around 430whp!!!!
Holy ****!
I love speed and acceleration, but not only are the sxs's out of my price range(+ a bigger trailer), but, no doubt I'de get killed in one.
One of my best friends has a '17 Razor 1k(Can-Ams eat em up) and alot of land.
If I were to ride that all the time, it would eventually get me, lol...I don't know how to act.
Clip a tree or roll it at speed...seatbelts and window nets aren't saving you.

#16 ·
I have a '19, 900cc, 3 cylinder, 72 inches wide. It's very stable in the turns, jumps well, and has climbed everything I've tried except once. My wife said it was like climbing a sugar hill. I had to be winched out.
Mine was factory rated at 172 HP, probably about 160 real HP. I've done a DunoJet tune rated to I think just under 180 HP at the crank. Next step is bigger injectors, but I don't know if I'll go there. Not that I want to go slow, but it does everything I need, and then some, but, who knows. "I have a need for speed", LOL! A friend just bought one at 200 HP....

#17 ·
When I rode dirt bikes I thought they were expensive. Then we got into quads, more expensive. Then snowmobiles, way more expensive. Now the SxS's, I have a 1000 Poo and a Yxz, Big three and another grand in windshields, mirrors, and other small stuff and I'm done. Luckily we ride 95% in the woods where 130hp is way more power than you'd ever need.

#21 ·
If I had only one hobby I would be right up there with you, but I've got to "share the wealth." We ride mainly up Little River, it's a place about 30 minutes outside Roseburg Oregon where I live. Thousands of miles of Forest Service roads. We do make a couple of trips over to the coast a year and ride out of the Spinreel day use. I try to ride something every weekend, only miss a few a year. This weekend me, my son and his two kids are going up.

The predator is a hair quicker in 1 and 2nd but 3rd and up the Raptor starts to pull and just goes past it. I always wanted to own a 525 but since I will never own another quad without efi I missed my chance. You can really feel the difference in torque.

#24 ·
If I had only one hobby I would be right up there with you, but I've got to "share the wealth." We ride mainly up Little River, it's a place about 30 minutes outside Roseburg Oregon where I live. Thousands of miles of Forest Service roads. We do make a couple of trips over to the coast a year and ride out of the Spinreel day use. I try to ride something every weekend, only miss a few a year. This weekend me, my son and his two kids are going up.

The predator is a hair quicker in 1 and 2nd but 3rd and up the Raptor starts to pull and just goes past it. I always wanted to own a 525 but since I will never own another quad without efi I missed my chance. You can really feel the difference in torque.
Being only a 500 why is it almost as quick though? Is it more like the yfz 450 which is quicker revving and stuff?

#31 ·
St Helens is a long way from me. But if he is up for a trip he is more than welcome to ride with us :)
I'll let him know, he's open to road trips, and then follow someone. He just bought it last week and been trying to find someone local, but so far none.

Can you PM me some contact info I could give him. He's a good guy.

#30 ·
#33 · (Edited)
So lets say the raptor is basically 50hp and the Can am is 200ish stock.
The Raptor weighs 400lbs whereas the Can am weighs about 2000ish.
They have about the same top speed.
So if you had a good rider on the raptor SHOULDN'T it be able to beat the Can am stock to stock?
No, engine power curve and transmissions are different.
It's also single cylinder vs multiple.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.