Axle Carrier question - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Axle Carrier question

I am getting ready to replace my rear axle with a new Lonestar unit. I wanted to freshen up the carrier bearings at the same time so rather than pound out the old and in with the new I decided to just buy an entire carrier with new twin row bearings. Seems like a quality piece but I have a question about the inner spacer, it has a seam weld going right down the middle of it. The stock carrier spacer does not have any seam. It looks like the axle won't contact this piece so it is probably fine but just wanted to check with a few of you guru's first.

06' 700 SE
-Pro Taper-
-Elka-
-GT Thunder-
-Alba-
-Lonestar-
-Streamline-
-PC5-
-Pro Design-
-HMF-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 04:05 PM

Garage
I've replaced mine (axle) few days ago. It is narrower in the middle so the contact point is only on the bearings. If the inner dimensions are the same as the old one (and they probably are) you'll be fine.

2016 Raptor 700R, Street legal, HID kit, 15T front, AIS delete, Jogaca suspension, Adjustable rear link, LSR 2+1 A-Arms, Axcalibar axle, PC5 w/timing and autotune, full Dasa exhaust, Talon 36T rear or stock 38T
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 04:46 PM
Lifetime VIP

Send a message via AIM to t web2007
I don’t even run the spacer.

2015 700Rse
Fci, PC5F/I, monster exhaust, +2 Cuervo head, HDD5150, 54mm throttle body, 105.5 14:1, +8 swingarm.
08 yfz450se
Sparks big core, k&n no lid, yz needle, yz timing mod, +4 swingarm.
“Peepshow”
Cuervo 870, lectron, msd, monster megs, single a-arm lightened chasis, +14 swingarm.
”Monarchy”
Cuervo 930, lectron, msd, db fab titanium chasis.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 06:47 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by t web2007 View Post
The spacer is to support the inner races from the pressure of the sprocket and brake hubs when the axle nut is torqued to max. The chances of the bearings coming apart is probable, unless you are using tapered roller bearings.
BlackSupra likes this.

2007 RAPTOR 700, SAND QUAD, 11:1 CP, +5 HR CRANK, PC3, +2 TB, LONE STAR XC +1, +1 A-ARMS, HD TIE RODS, JOGACA REAR SHOCK, ASV LEVERS, +4 REAR AXLE, DR.D REVERSE, ODI GRIPS, 1 1/8 CARBON BARS, DG BUMPER. BILLET: GAS CAP, BRAKE COVER, THROTTLE LEVER, BAR MOUNTS. LED LIGHTS'
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 12:01 AM

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEZPERADO View Post
The spacer is to support the inner races from the pressure of the sprocket and brake hubs when the axle nut is torqued to max. The chances of the bearings coming apart is probable, unless you are using tapered roller bearings.
Exactly. The sprocket hub and brake hub they both "push" towards the centre and they sit on the inner ring of a bearing. Here comes the spacer into play to resist those forces and to prevent damage to bearings. Without the spacer all the force from the axle nut is transferred 50/50 to inner side of both bearings. It shortens the lifespan and increases the chance of a more catastrophic bearing fail. I wouldn't dare to run without it.

You probably heard "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction ". Even with tapered roller bearing you transfer force to the carrier instead to spacer and another bearing. There is more force that carrier has to deal with and since it is aluminium, with time it might cause warping or cause the bearing to become louse in the carrier. Either way its not good.
DEZPERADO likes this.

2016 Raptor 700R, Street legal, HID kit, 15T front, AIS delete, Jogaca suspension, Adjustable rear link, LSR 2+1 A-Arms, Axcalibar axle, PC5 w/timing and autotune, full Dasa exhaust, Talon 36T rear or stock 38T

Last edited by BlackSupra; 03-22-2018 at 12:15 AM.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Fellas. Will grease up and install today after work with the axle.
morphrider and ian77 like this.

06' 700 SE
-Pro Taper-
-Elka-
-GT Thunder-
-Alba-
-Lonestar-
-Streamline-
-PC5-
-Pro Design-
-HMF-
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 01:28 PM
Lifetime VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSupra View Post
Exactly. The sprocket hub and brake hub they both "push" towards the centre and they sit on the inner ring of a bearing. Here comes the spacer into play to resist those forces and to prevent damage to bearings. Without the spacer all the force from the axle nut is transferred 50/50 to inner side of both bearings. It shortens the lifespan and increases the chance of a more catastrophic bearing fail. I wouldn't dare to run without it.

You probably heard "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction ". Even with tapered roller bearing you transfer force to the carrier instead to spacer and another bearing. There is more force that carrier has to deal with and since it is aluminium, with time it might cause warping or cause the bearing to become louse in the carrier. Either way its not good.
There is no nut on my axle. Just pinch bolts and keyways.

2015 700Rse
Fci, PC5F/I, monster exhaust, +2 Cuervo head, HDD5150, 54mm throttle body, 105.5 14:1, +8 swingarm.
08 yfz450se
“Peepshow”
Cuervo 870, lectron, msd, monster megs, single a-arm lightened chasis, +14 swingarm.
”Monarchy”
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSupra View Post

There is no nut on my axle. Just pinch bolts and keyways.
Can we say JJ&A? Probably don't even run seals too! Chugging some MR12 straight drag or hill shooter I bet.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 03:41 PM
Lifetime VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclelland32 View Post
Can we say JJ&A? Probably don't even run seals too! Chugging some MR12 straight drag or hill shooter I bet.
Shh...can’t be giving out all those neat little tricks.
Gonna put one on duner soon as well. Just a super nice axle. I was wondering if guys were having bearing issues in a dune/play application, but haven’t found much.

2015 700Rse
08 yfz450se
“Peepshow”
”Monarchy”
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Update. eBay Bearing Carrier $hit the bed. I think I can salvage my Lonestar axle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode