Raptor Forum banner

Setup help

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Team 2 gils 
#1 ·
Hi all I now have been out on my raptor a few times and now want to setup my suspension. I have never done this before so been on Google and had a look.

My problem is I have a 2006 yamaha raptor 700 r with the white front shocks and the sliver one on the back. All the adjustment I can see is just the ride height.

So after some help.

Thanks

#2 ·
Yup, those have really basic adjustments. They don't just do ride height, try each adjustment. Each will provide softer/harder ride. Most economical upgrade is to just get new shocks. Google Jogaca for the most affordable or look for some yzf450 Front shocks, not all years fit but Kevin (Jogaca)can let you know which do.

#4 ·
Try elka of fox. A bit more that Jogaca would cost but then you don't have to pay for customs and shipping from USA,

#6 ·
Here is a high level overview. In tuning shocks yourself, here is how I went about it. First off, you need to get on your bike, jump up and down a few times to settle the suspension, and take a measurement from the floor to the frame right in front of the foot peg (with you still on it), and then another one about in front of the engine mounts or prior to your frame bending upwards if it does. About 3/4 in is supposed to be optimal but my bike came with 22 inch front tires and 20 in the rear so I am about 1 1/4 on mine. For compression and rebound, you need to go some where there is some whoops, jumps and normal woods where you ride. You start by turning the compression and rebound screws all the way in counting the clicks as you go, write those down, and turn them back out to where they were. This is your baseline that you can always go back to, make sure the fronts have identical settings. Look in your manual and find out how many clicks you have to work with so you know where you are at. You are likely in the middle if it is at factory spec. Start with the fronts and back the compression off 2 clicks and ride. See how they feel hitting bumps rocks and logs, take a jump or 2 and make sure they do not bottom out. Once in while is fine just not all the time. If it is better, try 2 clicks more and repeat. Next do the rear in the same manor. You want them as soft as you can or like without bottoming out. Be sure to write down the setting each time you make an adjustment. Now start with rebound. Take some jumps and whoops, does the bike feels like it kicks up at the top of the jump or bounce when you land? Is so tighten rebound, if not loosen it. Each setting can affect the other so you may need to readjust compression again. Keep a pen , paper, and small screwdriver with you at all times, and this may take several outings to tease out the best setting for you. My front shocks had max setting of 2 turns on high speed compression, I was set at 1.75, slow speed max was 18, mine 14, rebound max 30, mine 19. Rears, high speed comp max 2, mine 1.5, slow speed max 18, mine14, rebound max 30, mine 16. These setting have me a smooth ride over obstacles and great handling over whoops and jumps. The softness though caused my front end to dive going into turns causing it to push. This was the trade off and you will need to find yours. I sent mine out to be professionally tuned and with new springs and valving I have smoothness and great handling in the turns. Just go slow, write everything's down, you can always go back to stock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.